*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801940-Digital-Age-Seed
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1801940
A brief glimpse into a time, caused by man's own folly.
Digital Age Seed (D.A.S)


Prologue


It was the year 2020. The world superpowers were in war with each other over oil resources. Everybody knew that a third world war was eminent and would end in a nuclear disaster.
                So some of the more cooler and smarter head in the world worked in secret to create a space arc like the one Noah built. They chose about a billion of the world's best both physical and mental and spirited them away into the ship into cryogenic containers.
                                        The ship lifted off just as the life as we know it on the earth came to an end with near simultaneous nuclear explosions all over the world even in the third world countries.
                              For about hundred years, the creators of the arc toiled with the abundant metal found within asteroids before creating twenty six habitable space domes rotating around earth named A-Z.

Then only did they release cryogenically frozen people who all after the initial shock of seeing the radioactive hell the earth had become, they started to work together to expand their space colonies and plans to terraform Mars while waiting for the planet Earth to reemerge.


1


50 yrs after apocalypse

Meanwhile on Earth.....
Those who died in the initial blast were the luckiest. Every living thing on the planet got mutated including viruses. One such was the AIDS virus. The people left initially survived on what food was left. Then they started hunting and eating what mutated animal life there was left.

When the first mutated person died, the virus entered the body and spread throughout it giving it semblance of life and a hunger for uninfected flesh. This quickly became a plague of bodies as more and more died in accidents or after an infected attacked them. The virus gave them a hive like intelligence.

Thus life on earth became a battle between the mutated and the infected.The infected gradually transformed into a four legged form that gave them greater chance in hunting for the mutated. The mutated though found that instead of killing animals for meat they could drink little of the blood and have food for longer. Thus the mythical Vampires and Werewolves were resurrected.


2


900 A.A (After Apocalypse)......

In the orbital Space colonies.......
The probes sent to earth confirmed that the level of radiation can be tolerated by suited humans and so they decided to go check the earth for salvageable items. Scouts from K were sent and reports cam back about Werewolves and Vampires attacking personnel. The initial team consisted of a combat team from Z and a science team from X. They landed near the largest structure they could find on earth.

To their surprise the structure was man-made. It was a dome, which their scanner showed, was made up entirely of nanites covering a super conducting layer of adamantium metal. Initial survey showed that the area surrounding the dome was strangely free of both werewolves and vampires. There was something that looked like a door with a DNA scanner on the north side of the dome. Proximity showed the message "Enter DNA Sample".


3



One of the scientists put a finger in the appropriate slot which took his sample. The view in the scanner read " Non mutated DNA detected. Weapons deactivated. Please enter."

They all trooped in and was surprised to find all the modern conveniences they thought lost in it. They also found what looked like a cryogenic chamber with a person inside. The screen read " Please enter password after reading the log". So they started searching for the log but could not find it.

Then one of the frustrated guys said "Where the fuck is the log?" out loud. Suddenly a hologram of an middle aged gentleman wearing a white lab coat appeared. It introduced itself as the log recording of its creator Dr. Graham. This set all the guys abuzz since Dr. Grant was one of the creators of the Ark and was thought lost.


4



It continued "Day One. I am currently waiting with my wife and unborn child in this bio dome which I am sure will survive any kind of nuclear fall out. Once tested I can use this to restart with humanity on earth instead of leaving for the moon colonies.
Day Two. Experiment 99% success. My wife was hit by the radiation before the nanites blocked the radiation. After testing saw that my child's DNA was mutating. Day Four. Decided to add neuro enhancements to my child so that he has a better chance of survival. Day Seven. I looked outside and what I saw chilled my blood. Corpses moving toward the dome/ Set some nanos to collect samples and told to set auto defend mode. Day Ten. The corpses contained a highly mutated strand of AIDS virus. Changed door lock to DNA scanner. Checked both our blood samples. Saw that wife had the M-AIDS. Unborn child had it but it was dormant in his case. Day Fifteen. Wife died giving birth, Before that made promise to destroy her corpse and to take care of our child. Day Twenty. Looks like my child is safe and is the cure for M-AIDS. I have added many improvements to his system which will aid him in his fight against the virus infected.Day Thirty. To the persons reading this I have gone out to destroy as many as possible using the antiviral I developed. If you wish to wake my son the password is Digital Age Seed.


5



The scientists were in awe of the doctor while the combat team was itching to wake the son up. When they entered the password, the chamber opened to show a twenty something year old Caucasian male about 6 feet tall with an average build that hid a lot of muscles. They thought they were going to find a child. At this the hologram spoke up "This isn't a true cryogenic pod this one slows aging by a factor of 1/45. As they looked on, he opened his  red eyes to look around at his 'rescuers' and said "So which year is it?" and grinned.

He then said " Don't worry I have a link with the nanites so I am up to date on information. They asked if he had any weapons. He said no but that his whole body was a weapon and that with nanites he can make any weapon he wants. He demonstrated this by showing them claws made of nanites which were very effective at short ranges and plasma rifles which were good for long ranges.


6


On Earth,
In the bio dome,
The son of Dr. Graham introduced himself as D.A.S. But everyone called him Das. He showed them were the pure antiviral was kept which they could apply on their bullets.And then it was time to go administer the antivirals to the suffering population.
Thanks to Das's help they were able to clear the North American continents of werewolves within a fortnight and administered antivirals to the vampires so that conversion to werewolf upon death was prevented.

But suddenly all the weres began to migrate to the north pole. The Z team went along with Das to finish them while the X team was adding to their knowledge from the bio dome. At the north pole the team came face to face with millions of the thing together with the Alpha of the Werewolves.The battle that followed was bloody and long. When it looked like Team Z was going to lose suddenly Das began to transform into a white werewolf as opposed to the black of the infected ones. The white werewolf destroyed
all of the opposition in a matter of minutes after which he returned to human form. But instead of the censure he expected everybody was glad that he had a secret weapon.
But Das didn't have the heart to tell them that he only transformed upon receiving a mortal injury it was not a conscious decision.


7



900 A.A
On Mars,

The team from the colonies that went to check the feasibility of terraforming Mars found the werewolf infestation had reached Mars too and that it had a native population.
After much wrangling a translator was made and upon inquiry of the infestation the people of earth found that they were part of an ongoing experiment by the one who called themselves Atlanteans to seed life in life supporting planets. They had found the infestation 400 years before and had brought a specimen it here in hopes of studying it but instead had got infected since Human DNA was based on theirs. The only difference was the ability of atlanteans to survive and thrive in any type of surrounding including vacuum.

They showed the humans the skeleton of the first infected that died and humans was surprised to find it about twice as big as the biggest infected of earth.They put a call to the space station for exterminators. The call was relayed to what remained of the Z team.

The Z team on arrival was greeted with a large army of gray were wolves. All of them were suited up against the hostile atmosphere. So melee attacks were out of the question. This severely hampered Das's offense, especially since were wolves were a lot bigger than their earthen counterpart. The fight for Mars had started.


8


900 A.A.
On Mars,

Majority of the Z team were killed in the initial ambush. But the rest were able to hold on, due to the Atlanteans pitching in with their effective weapons, a product of futuristic proportions. At the moment it looked like the defenders were winning the Alpha of the group appeared.

Das went right for it knowing instinctively that it was the cause of such large numbers attacking them. But his suit got ripped from the monster's talons and as he lost consciousness to death, he again transformed into the white were wolf. It spelled the end of the were wolf as a whole and the threat had been contained.

But instead of transforming back, as the atmosphere was hostile, Das in his were wolf form ran away into red hills never to be seen again.


Epilogue


1200 A.A
In a Bio dome in Mars,
"And that is the story of our hero, DAS ", the mother finished telling the story to her child. They were sitting beneath a statue carved to show a white were wolf on top of a mound of were wolf bodies. "What happened to DAS mother?" the child asked. The mother sighs as she replies "Nobody Knows".

The End or is it?
Unknown to them the silhouette of a  were wolf could be seen on a distant hill howling at the red moon. Das still protects his people.






© Copyright 2011 Maverick (trgtboyz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801940-Digital-Age-Seed