*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1802788-The-elephant
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Demasu
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1802788
Short story that was made for a contest
It was hot, but not the hot where you drown in your own sweat. No, the kind of hot that eats away at your bones. The hunter was catching up on some sleep beneath a lone tree.

Out a ways, at a watering hole, a small elephant walked up to the edge of the water, small trunk swaying with every step it took, testing out the water to see if it was safe. The young elephant began to drink as the hunter stirred awake. Seeing his opportunity to score the long awaited kill he had come out here for. He grabbed for his gun that was leaning up against the trunk of the tree, as though it were taking a nap as well.

The hunter took aim, carefully steadying his hand to help him aim. He slowly squeezed the trigger until a deafening crack filled the air. When the smoke cleared from the blast from his black powder rifle, he was amazed to find he has hit his mark. Even from that distance he was amazed to find that he had hit his target and a small smirk escaped the corners of his mouth.

The hunter packed up his gear and headed over to collect his prize. Upon his return, he was able to give his wife a new tiger fur coat and a story for all his friends about the elephant that almost didn't make it.
© Copyright 2011 Demasu (demasu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1802788-The-elephant