*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1804940-How-to-Create-a-Static-Item
Rated: E · Article · How-To/Advice · #1804940
Step-by-step instructions for creating a static item in your portfolio
How to Make a Static Item for Your Portfolio


First, what is a static item? When you click on "Create Item," you will find a three-column list of various types of things we can post in our port (which is short for portfolio). Look over the items and see which ones you get right away and which ones you need help understanding. Let me know about those. Now, if you look at the very top of the third column, you'll see "static item." You will use this selection for most of the writing that you do. Poems, short stories, articles, essays, and other such items will be typed into a static (unchanging) item. Of course the item is not completely unchanging, because you will make changes to it. Compare it to a group page or forum page and you will see how it differs from those. Group pages and forum pages usually have many participants who are able to alter the page in some way. However, you are the only person who can alter your static items, unless you set your access to allow others access to edit. (We don't usually do that with static items.)

 1.  Go to your Portfolio.
 2.  Look in the top left-hand corner of your portfolio, just above your case. Click on CREATE ITEM.
 3.  Next, click on Static Item.  It is the first item in the first column.
 4.  Enter the title of your item.
 5.  From the drop-down menu, select the Item Type.
 6.  Next, in the Brief Description box, type what you would like the reader to know about your item.
 7.  Enter the appropriate RATING for your item in the Content Rating field.
 8.  Next, you have an opportunity to select three or more categories that your piece falls into.
       These categories will give more exposure to your piece. When readers look for a specific group
       of stories or poems to read, they will search by categories, which may bring them right to your story or poem.
 9.  Go to Item Body and type your story, poem, assignment, and so forth,  in the box.
       (Tip: If you prefer, you can type it in Word or other word processing program; then paste it into the Item Body.)
10.  Select your Reviewing Preference.
11. When you are done, click on Save and View.

To help you determine the appropriate CONTENT RATING of your item, please read the following article: "Content Rating System (CRS)

Something to consider:
Choose your Title and Brief Description wisely. 
Think of a library shelf of books.  All you can see is a row of spines with titles on them.
What will make you pull one from the shelf to take a closer look?
Once the title catches your attention and you pull it from the shelf, you open it up to see what it's about.
Does the "brief description" or "teaser" intrigue you, or do you shove it back into its hole and continue browsing? 

These are two huge obstacles your poem, story, or book must overcome if you are to have any readers. 
What's the use in having a great story or poem if no one stays long enough to read it? 

© Copyright 2011 Pat ~ Rejoice always! (mimi1214 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1804940-How-to-Create-a-Static-Item