*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1805230-Bogie-and-Spence
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #1805230
A story of friendship and finality.
I had always liked their house. Bogie and Lauren’s I mean. It was big, manor style even, but somehow they managed to keep it small and quaint, like people actually lived there. You got the feeling that you were entering an actual home whenever you went there. You'd walk the hallways lined with family pictures, hear the shuffling footsteps of the children, and according to Bogie’s policy, you were always greeted with a smile, a handshake or a hug, and above all else, a stiff drink.

Oh, could he drink. I never knew a man who could drink like him, except maybe John. John died a year ago from liver problems, which is what Bogie now suffers from. When we were younger and filming the African Queen, literally the entire cast and crew, with the notable exceptions of Bogie and John, got dysentery from the water. They didn't get it because they never drank any water.

“Lacks flavour. And apparently, it’s good for you.” Bogie would always say, with his wry smile and laughing eyes. That man was made of laughter, built to have a good time. I could see why Lauren had fallen in love with him, he had a youth that belied his age. He made everyone he was around feel ten years younger, feel like they were young again, feel like anything was possible. Maybe that’s why Spence always wanted to see him. Maybe he wanted to feel young again too.

He looked frail now though. I’d never seen Bogie so thin. Spence and I hardly recognised him the moment we walked in. He was smaller, slight even, he looked more like one of the children than like the cheeky, smiling man we’d always known him as. Bogie was dying.

We all sat down, drinks in hand, and started chatting away. Spence and Bogie talked largely to each other, they’d always been good friends. Lauren and I sat further away, a little across the room, and we’d talk about all kinds of things, acting, various films we’d done, we’d wanted to do. We talked about mutual acquaintances, but mostly, we talked about Bogie and Spence.

Although she was much younger than me, I knew what she felt for Bogie. She felt for him the way that I felt for Spence, anyone could see it. It was present in her eyes. The way she looked at him, staring, with a sort of idolatry and adoration written all over her face. You could tell that she loved him for him, every ounce of him, that wonderful old man.

We’d sit there, just chatting, watching these two old men talk to each other. Bogie always had lots of stories. It’s a product of his drinking. He’d known a lot of people in his time, and he always had a story worth telling. Every now and then they’d both roar into laughter, cackling away to themselves, clearly enjoying each other’s company. Both the best of friends.

Spence was always a decent story teller too I suppose. It comes naturally as a product of our work. They were both charismatic men, both of them full of energy, bursting with laughter and fun. They were always at their best whenever they were around each other. One could tell immediately from observing them that they had been long friends, and that they always would be.

But they were both older now. Both in the twilight of their years, especially Bogie. Lauren told me what the doctors had said, that what they had to say certainly wasn’t good news. It was clear though, a child could have seen that Bogie wasn’t well.

Apparently, one of them had even suggested to Bogie that he quit drinking. Ha. As if such a request would be anything but duly ignored. I mean, c’mon, the man virtually invented the art of casual drinking.

But Lauren had said that it wasn’t much good regardless. The emptiness in her was evident. She knew she’d married a much older, and much less healthy man than herself. I guess when affairs of the heart are involved, one forgets to check physiological indicators.

Finally, it was time to go. Not that we had stayed too long, oh no, that would be impossible at Bogie and Lauren’s house. You had to try hard to leave, they’d quite happily have you live there if it was up to them. But time waits for no-one.

I said good bye to Lauren, and Spence did too. I said goodbye to Bogie, wishing him all the best for his upcoming treatment. He just chuckled gently in the way that only Bogie could, and casually rolled his eyes at me.

Finally, Spence laid his hand on Bogie’s shoulder, and with a big smile said “See ya soon pal” to his best friend. He began to move away, toward me and the door, when Bogie quickly grabbed the hand that Spence had left on his shoulder. Spence looked down at Bogie, and Bogie looked back up at Spence, with a much different look in his eyes; a look of sadness, of gratitude, of remembrance, and finality.

Spence read the look instantly, we all did.

“Goodbye Spence.” Said Bogie.

© Copyright 2011 Innes Hammond (tazzyken at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1805230-Bogie-and-Spence