*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1805604-Hot-Pick
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Stumpy
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1805604
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
This was an attempt at a rewrite of "Censorsational. In the end I decided I preferred the original and entered that instead.

Dan slammed the door of the 4WD and ran to the door of the tiny control room at the base of the transmitter. He glanced at his watch as he hunted for the key. Just enough time to set up the mic.

Inside, he quickly plugged a miniature sound deck into the wall of electronics. Dragging a metal step-stool noisily across the concrete floor, he sat down to catch his breath. He checked his watch. Almost time.

Dan put on the headset and adjusted the mic. As the last strains of bubbly pop faded away, he hit the switch that would override the pre-recorded show with his live broadcast.

"That was this week's number two, 'The Way to My Heart' by Sarah Jane, down one from the top spot last week. You're with Dan Tasty on Chart Toppers and before we play this week's brand new number one, I have the hottest of hot picks for next week!"

"This is the song you weren't supposed to hear. Mixed over a year ago at the sound studio in Berkeley University's music department, it's been banned so tight, even the internet couldn't crack it. The producers have fought for its release all the way to the Supreme Court, but they've been blocked at every turn."

"There have been hints and rumors, but the truth is more sensational than you could ever imagine. Whatever it means, the charts will never be the same! Whatever it means, the world will never be the same! So without further ado, here's the greatest musical moment of all time! Headed for number one with a bullet!! It's the song that claims to include a message from the stars!! It's 'This Can't Be Real' by SETI and the ETs!!!"
© Copyright 2011 Stumpy (stumpy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1805604-Hot-Pick