*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1805679-Gabriel-and-Zekes-Big-Adventure
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jo
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1805679
Two Friends go on a Adventure.
Gabriel and Zeke's Big Adventure

This is Gabriel who lives in a zoo in Osaka, Japan… alongside other animals. He is creative, fun, has an imaginative mind and a wonderful personality for a Panda….that is. You see, he can talk to humans and his animal friends.

One day a little boy and little girl came near his surroundings and stared at him for a long time. They threw little pieces of food for him and Gabriel stared at them as well. Everyone laughed and smiled at each other for a bit. When the clock struck 5 pm, it was time for his new found friends to go home. As the two children walked away, they stopped in their tracks …turned around and waved goodbye to Gabriel.

That evening before supper, he tried to wake up his friend Zeke, the beaver who was coming from his burrow. Gabriel called over “Zeke, Zeke……can I talk to you for a couple of minutes?”
Zeke: “What’s on your mind? We can only talk for a few minutes before I go to bed.”
Gabriel: “Well, how would one go about running away from here and go an adventure.”
Zeke: “Now…Gabriel…why would anyone want to move away from this beautiful place? The humans here give you free food, a nice place to live and a great environment to run wild.”
Gabriel: “Zeke….I have a great idea! I have always what the world is outside Japan. I would like to travel to the United States. You could even come with me, if you wanted to. Why don’t we come up with a plan tomorrow…ok? I am tired and want to go to bed. Goodnight...Zeke.”
Zeke: “Goodnight…Gabriel. See you in the morning.”







The next morning came and went. When afternoon came, Gabriel called out to Zeke. Gabriel: “Hey Zeke…I think I’ve got a plan. Are you there…Zeke. Where are you?”
Zeke: “I’m coming…ah…..here I am. So what do you want…sonny. Have you thought about our adventure yet? “
Gabriel: “Yes, as a matter of fact….I didn’t sleep very well last night. I finally came up with a plan.”
Zeke: “So…what’s this big plan of yours?”
Gabriel: “Yesterday, two small children came and played with me…by feeding and talking to me. I thought, if I got enough courage…I would ask them to help us with our adventure. What do you think of that idea?”
Zeke: “Sounds all right with me…but are you sure you know what to say to them. Do you know what you are really doing?”
Gabriel: “Of course not but it will be a new and fun experience for me. Would you like to help me?”
Zeke: “Sure…why not…I could use a little bit of excitement in my life. What can I do?”
Gabriel: “First of all we need to contact the children but how?”
Zeke: “Why don’t we get our friends involved by giving the kids messages to come to our neck of the zoo.”
Gabriel: “That’s a great idea! Why don’t we each talk with our friends and then we will meet back in 1 hour.”
Zeke: “Over and Out!”
After an hour went by…they looked at each other but they knew that neither of them had good news. Gabriel: “Alright…what happened? Did you talk to the other animals? Don’t they understand…this is important to me! ”
Zeke: “I talked to the Gorillas, Monkeys, Zebra, Sammy the Seal and the two Flamingos. They all listened but all of them said that they couldn’t help. They also agreed it was too dangerous for both of us.”
Gabriel: “I talked to Emma the Elephant, Carrie the Camel, Leroy the Lion, Tim the Field Mouse, Cicely the Tiger, Al the Alligator, CJ the Crocodile and Lilly the Hippo. I also talked to all of my bear friends : Charley, Allan, Dave, Sandy, Becky and Sophie. I guess we are back to square one…what should I do now?”
Zeke: “Cheer up…my friend! It could be worse…we could have no friends to talk to. Don’t think about it too much, your luck might turn around. I’ve got to go to supper and then I have an early start in the morning. I need to work on that dam that I am building. Goodnight…..Gabriel.”
Gabriel: “Goodnight…..Zeke and I will see you in the morning.”

The next morning, Gabriel was sleeping so nicely when something woke him up. He sat up and rubbed his eyes real well and walked out of his little wooden house that Zeke had built him. Gabriel couldn’t imagine what the racket and the noise was…when it was only 7:30 in the morning. He then saw his friend Zeke who looked like he was waiting for something.
Gabriel: “Hey…Zeke…what’s going on…my friend?”
Zeke: “Well…Sonny…I have gotten word from a friend of ours that the two animals in this zoo will be going to the United States. The animals will stay in a first class Zoo in San Francisco. I am getting a small suitcase together just in case…I’m picked. I advise you to do the same.”
Gabriel: “Ok…if you think it will help….I’ll do that right now…thanks…Zeke.”
Zeke: “No problem…my good friend.”

So…Gabriel went back to his enclosure and started to pack when he heard his name being called. Gabriel rushed out to see what his friend wanted.
Gabriel: “Zeke…what is it?”
Zeke: “I have amazing and excellent news! We have been selected to the States. I overheard Yuki the Zoo man talking to another human about us. You are going to finally get to go on your adventure.”
Gabriel: “This is great! I will make sure that I have everything I need in my bag. I’ll be right out….Zeke. Wait for me…ok? “
So…Gabriel came out carrying a little bag a few minutes later. Yuki and three other Zoo handlers came near the friends surroundings. Each of the friends could hear the humans talking to one another.
Yuki: “Alright Kaz…you and I will calm Gabriel the Panda down. We don’t want to make him angry…ok? All we want him to do is walk into this wooden crate with windows.”
Yuki: “Hey…Taki and Kai ….you guys take care of Zeke the Beaver.”
Kaz, Taki and Kai all said: “Whatever you say…..Boss. We will be careful with both.”

As soon as the crate opened, both Zeke and Gabriel looked at each other and nodded. Almost giving the four Zoo keepers a heart attack, both friends walked casually into their own crates. Both of them had a bag in their mouths, so they each would take something to their new home. All of the zoo people and the other humans waved goodbye to Gabriel and Zeke. The two friends started to embark on a new enchanting journey together. Gabriel and Zeke got to the airport and had to be shipped to the States by a special cargo plane.The plane was destined to fly to the San Francisco Zoo. The trip was about to take 14 hours long and the friends were ready. Both of the friends were so excited because neither of them had ever flown in a plane before.

13 hours had passed and the plane was almost going to fly south towards San Francisco when something didn’t feel right. The pilot had tried to figure out what the trouble was and then he found out …it was the engine. Also…one of the wings didn’t work! He was not happy at all and he slammed his fist and radioed in and said: “Mayday…mayday! This is flight # 223 to the San Francisco Airport…we have engine failure. I am going to have to crash and parachute out! Over and out! “ The pilot could hear over the speaker that air traffic control knew what was happening and wished him ….good luck. He mumbled to himself… “I am going to need it! “ The pilot did four things before he left the cargo plane. First…he flew the plane for a little a bit until he was sure that the plane was under some land. Second…he put the plane on automatic pilot and then walked over to the two large wooden crates and he tied a parachute on each of them. Third…he looked at his watch and opened the door. He then put on his own parachute and made sure everything was tight. Four…he lined the two crates and pushed them out one after another before jumping from the plane himself. The plane descended down towards some trees. As for the pilot…he was never found. All of a sudden … the plane erupted into a ball of flames.

Gabriel and Zeke landed in the back yard of someone’s house. As crates thumped and landed…you could hear an “ouch” from each of the crates. Then the friends became silent because they hear a couple of voices and footsteps.
Bill: “Honey…will you get my crowbar from the garage. Tell the kids to come out here.”
Mary: “Yes, Bill. I sure will…dear.”
Michael: “Hey…dad…what are those crates doing there? “
Dad: “I don’t know…Michael…I just don’t know…son.”
Kate: “Go ahead and open them up….Dad.”
Dad: “I will…Kate….hold on.”
Bill untied Gabriel’s parachute from the crate and then started to open the lid of the crate with his crowbar. He and his family were amazed at what they found.
Kate: “Oh…Dad…doesn’t the Panda look adorable. Can we keep him…..please? “
Dad: “I guess…honey but only for a few days until we can find him a proper home.”
Michael: “Come on…Dad….open up the other crate. I want to find out what is in that one.”
Dad: “Alright…Son…here I go. “
Bill untied Zeke’s crate and opened with the crowbar again. The family was also surprised to see what they found.
Michael: “A Beaver, a beaver…Dad. Can we also keep him…please? “
Dad: “Sure…why not. But only for a couple of days…ok…son. “

That evening…the family sat around looking at their new cute and adorable pets.
Dad: “Hey….Michael and Kate…what about names for these animals. “
Gabriel turned towards his new family and spoke for the very first time…..to humans.
Gabriel: “Family…my name is Gabriel and I am about 2 years old. Zeke is my friend and companion and he is about 3 years old. “
Bill: “Fantastic…our friends can talk to us. Mary…it’s time to go to bed…we have an early start tomorrow. “

After…everyone had gone to each of their own rooms. Gabriel went to sleep with Kate and Zeke went to sleep with Michael. In the middle of the night…Gabriel hopped out of bed and walked to the window. He looked out at the moon and the stars and smiled. Gabriel them sat down on the rug and thought to himself “Wow! My dream came true for me and Zeke. I am happy that I am living with a good family who already loves me and Zeke a lot.” Gabriel got up walked back to the big bed and hopped up. He went under the covers and put his paw around his new friend and then went to sleep.

THE END






© Copyright 2011 Jo (jogacat12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1805679-Gabriel-and-Zekes-Big-Adventure