*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806366-So-the-other-day
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1806366
A misunderstanding. A story told in dialogue.
“So I was walking down Margot Street—you know, the one with Mackie’s, just off of where Tammy lives?”

“Yeah, I know.”

“So anyways, I was walking, yeah? Totally minding my own business, checking my ident to see if I had enough credits to buy those cute shoes I saw when we were out in Rolan the other day—“

“Oh, those were cute.”

“Yeah, ‘cause I was thinking about heading out there if I had enough. Anyways, just walking, and all of a sudden my face is on fire! Someone’s hoverboot was totally searing my head!”

“Was it the jet-powered kind, or the magnet kind?”

“Jet-powered, duh. Why else would it have burned me?”

“Well, you don’t look burned.”

“I’m good with makeup, and you know that. Anyways, I start shouting at the guy, and he’s like five or six feet above me, so he pretends not to hear me! Can you believe that?”

“That’s just rude.”

“I know! And I’m like, okay, maybe he really didn’t hear me, so I start shouting at him, and he still ignores me! And to make it worse, he moves right into the sun, so like, I can’t even look up at him because the sun is blinding me and my face is already burned.”

“That’s terrible!”

“So I want to get the guy’s attention, you know? So I grab his boot, totally burning my hands by the way, and yank him down a bit.”

“Okay, that’s maybe a little harsh.”

“Oh relax, it’s not like he hit the ground or anything. He just kind of, you know, floated there. I’m pretty sure the worst that happened was he got dizzy.”

“Oh, well then.”

“So now that I can see him and I know he can see me, I’m shouting at him like, hey! You can’t just freaking burn me and then act like I’m not there! Really railing into him, you know?”

“Yeah.”

“And the guy is still not talking! So I slapped him.”

“You did not.”

“I so did! And that really freaking hurts your hand, did you know that?”

“I don’t normally go around slapping people.”

“Right, so, well, then I’m trying to walk away, because a big crowd gathered around then, and I think they wanted to watch a fight, but you know, I’m a classy lady! I don’t fight!”

“Yeah, right?”

“And then when I’m walking away, it gets better, ‘cause I see an ident on the ground. So I waved mine at it, you know, doing the right thing to see whose it was so I can return it, yeah, and it’s unreg! Fifty credits on there too!”

“So what’d you do?”

“Well you know what happens with unreg. Didn’t even have a choice here, the credits just went on my ident like automatically. And then, this is awesome, I totally had enough for the shoes.”

“That’s so cool. Did you buy them yet?”

“Not yet, do you want to go to Rolan tomorrow?”


“Please state what happened for the record.”

“I was on Margot Street, doing my hovermime act. I’ve performed on this street for months at the same time each day, and most people like to watch, or at least know to get out of my way. But then this strange woman walked under me, and since my hoverboots are jet-powered, I guess she got a little burned.”

“Did she seem to be in serious pain? Did you apologize?”

“No, she seemed fine, and I was planning on apologizing after my show. But then next thing I know, she was shouting at me. I mimed an apology, because I really need to perform to get credits, and I didn’t want to ruin the act. But I guess she didn’t get it, because she grabbed my boot and pulled me down to the ground.”

“Did she injure you?”

“Not with that, but I still attempted to continue my performance, so she slapped me. That did hurt, but it wasn’t really that bad.”

“Do you want to press charges?”

“Oh! No, not that far. But then after that, she waved her ident at mine, and since I haven’t gotten around to regging it yet, I guess that she took my credits. What I’d really like from you, Officer, is to get those credits back. I think there were about fifty.”

“We’ll see what we can do.”
© Copyright 2011 Stephanie (ghostlyburger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806366-So-the-other-day