*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806614-The-Price-of-Freedom
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1806614
Shayla is kidnapped and shocked to find that she has powers. (Warning: being edited)
         Sunlight filtered onto the cream-colored walls and bed, creeping across the hardwood floor and rugs, and falling onto Shayla Lynn Jefferson's face.
         Shayla blinked, and sat up, blinking. Yawning, she slid out of bed, glancing at her alarm clock- 6:45 am. Groaning, she crossed the room to her blue set of drawers that held her clothes and many journals.
         Shayla grabbed a pair of blue jean shorts and a bright green t-shirt, and peering into the mirror, applied make-up, and fixed her hair into her usual simple braid. She put on a silver necklace and a water-proof watch before heading door the stairs.
        Shayla's mother was sitting in an armchair, a cup of coffee in her hand.
      "Hi Shay!” she chirped, her usual, happy self.
         “Hi Mom.” Shayla yawned, heading into the kitchen for coffee and breakfast. Shayla dropped a piece of bread into the toaster and poured a cup of coffee.
         The bread popped up, and Shayla buttered it, making her way to the table. Propping open her Harry Potter book, she chewed on her toast, once again lost in the magical world of Harry Potter.
         Shayla sipped her coffee, slowly waking up. She glanced at her watch, read the time (6:50 am), and put her cup into the dishwasher. She scooped up her backpack, excitement creeping into her veins.She pecked her mother on the cheek, and raced out the door, ready for the first day of high-school.


         "Shayla! Hey!" Emily cried, launching herself onto her best friend. Shayla staggered under Emily's weight, but grinned.
        "Hey, Emily!" she replied, pushing a lock of black hair out of her face.
        “I'm so happy to be back! Well... kinda. I'm glad to see everyone, but homework? Uh, no.” Emily's blue eyes shimmered happily, and she pulled Shayla down the hall.
         “Your locker is next to mine!” Emily announced, dropping her bag onto the floor.
         “Emily, you realize we have about 5 minutes to get upstairs, right?”
         Emily rolled her eyes, transferring books and folders to her locker quickly. “We'll be fine. We can run.”
         “You? Run? I thought you had sworn that off after 8th grade gym.”
         “I've gained a few more pounds then I'd like, Shay. I've chosen to start running again.”
         Shayla rolled her eyes, and pulled her best friend with her.
© Copyright 2011 Emma McCarry (aleiaworld12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806614-The-Price-of-Freedom