*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806691-A-Final-Wish
by Lana
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1806691
A man fulfills his final wish after death. Will review in return.


It was a bleak and dreary day. I watched the rain shower down on the already wet grounds, and the procession of black umbrellas hurry back to their cars. Typical funeral behavior, no one wanted to be there and the rain was his or her excuse to leave. One by one, I watched each vehicle leave the cemetery until there was nothing left but the sound of the rain and her weeping.

My gaze wandered back to her and watched with curiosity. She knelt down beside the fresh grave and smoothed out the wet earth before placing a rose in the center. Her eyes overflowed with liquid pain, and her quivering lips whispered a broken wish between her heartbreaking sobs.

I drifted closer, unnoticed. Her solemn and melancholy demeanor only emphasized her inner beauty.

“I now see what he meant.” I spoke in a low tone. She stiffened realizing she was no longer alone. I heard her sniffle.

“He said you would remain behind because you loved him the most.” I glided next to her and held out my hand. Her brown eyes grew wide with disbelief, then evident fascination. She slid her hand in mine and stood up to face me.

“Is he here?” she said while her dark brown eyes once again filled up with tears. Hope flashed across her plain face and she searched my eyes for an answer.

“No. He is gone. I am sorry for your loss.” I pressed my hand against her wet face, it was the color of ivory and her tears were gleaming pearls swimming down and stopping at her chin before dribbling onto her soaked clothing. Underneath the dark material, a silver chain hung low showing only the top of a crucifix.

“He knew you would wear that chain. He was confident and proud.”

It was almost time another minute or two.

“Are you alright Maria? Do you understand what I am? I waited for her to comprehend.

“Yes. I know. She said. “He told me you were real, and that I would see you one day.”
Her lips trembled and her eyes cast down as she wept once again. Her body collapsed into my arms and I held her tightly, whispering that everything would be all right and she could close her eyes if she chose to do so. I kissed her gently and she fell into a sleep.



* * * * * *

Another minute and I can open the door. He thought anxiously fidgeting with the doorknob. He heard the door to the apartment above him creak open and the pitter-patter of her little bare feet scuttle to the edge of the stairs. The sound of her sweet yawn filled the air while her outstretched fingers slid against the paneled walls.
She extended her foot feeling for the edge of the step and walked down the first three with a slow and careful manner. Blinking her eyes to adjust to the dark, she felt for the second set of steps that led to her destination. Misjudging her next step, she missed the rail and tumbled head first down the stairs with outstretched hands in hopes to break the fall. When there was no impact, she opened her eyes and to her amazement, she was floating in mid air. She was in the arms of the most beautiful person she had ever seen. He spoke to her in a voice that sounded distant and magical.
An Angel. She thought. It has to be.

He told her not to be afraid, she was safe and he loved her very much. He was smiling and she could not help but smile too. She noticed for a split second, as they descended slowly toward the ground, that they were on the other side of the banister away from the wall and stairs. She felt safe and happy in his embrace. She realized he saved her life and she was grateful. He smiled again and kissed her forehead.

The next thing she knew, she was standing in front of a door, confused. Then it swung open and she heard a familiar voice.
“Who is this beautiful creature at my door?

“Grandpa! It’s me Maria, your favorite.” She squealed as she stretched out her arms and danced around so her purple nightgown swung around her knees.

“Well then. Won’t you please come in? He bowed down and swung his arms around her, picking her up and above his head. Her laugh was pure joy and her embrace filled him with pure happiness. He pulled a silver chain with a miniature cross dangling from it and placed it in her hand. Her eyes lit up and she giggled with delight when she saw what it was. Her arms swung around his neck and she squeezed as hard as she could.

“I love you so much Grandpa. All the way up and past the moon you know.” she hugged him tighter and kissed his neck.

He looked up into the dark hallway and saw the incandescent Angel hovering and smiling.

“Thank you” He said to the Angel. The angel nodded and the door closed.

They were no longer in his doorway, but in Maria's bedroom. She was a young successful woman now. He was so proud of her. He held her for the last time and kissed her gently on the cheek, then slowly lowered her on the bed and covered her up. She would wake up wearing the soaked clothes from his funeral. Perhaps she would be confused as to how she came home. Maybe she would have no recollection at all. He was sure now, that she would always know how much he loved her.

His last wish was to relive that one moment with her. It was the happiest moment of his life.

“Are you ready? It is time to go.” The angel said.

With one last glance at his beloved granddaughter, he turned around and walked into the Angel’s arms.

© Copyright 2011 Lana (lana18 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806691-A-Final-Wish