*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806796-Space-Battle
by Ace
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1806796
WIP - Battle scene/chapter for a story I am working on needs critqued
         Veering hard left, managing to dodge an enemy missile, Ace flew as fast as his ship would let him. There had not been any signs of enemy vessels on his radar for over two hours. It seemed he had lost them, but now they were right on top of him again. It must have been an ambush, he thought.
         There were three of them showing on his radar. One was tailing him, while the other two where maneuvering to gain position. The ship tailing him fired off two more missiles and turned to get a better position on him.
         Ace fired off a decoy to try and keep the missiles at bay. One took the bait and exploded. The other shimmied for a second, then regained its target. Ace tried to bank right this time, hoping the trick would work again, but it didn't. The missile stayed with him and drew closer at an alarming rate.
         Watching his instruments closely, Ace saw one of the enemy fighters make a mistake. It had turned at too sharp of an angle to intercept him. This was exactly what Ace needed.
         With the missile still in tow, he turned toward the enemy ship putting them on a collision course. The enemy fired a few lasers while trying to get his aim locked on. One shot grazed the armor plating of Aces ship to the left of the cockpit. Undeterred, Ace ducked and dodged waiting for the right moment.
         Seconds before collision with the enemy, Ace stuttered the brake, and spun his ship hard to the right. The enemy pilot, and the missile that had been following Ace, did not have time to react. The missile collided with the center of the enemy ship leaving nothing but debris.
         From outside the debris came another enemy ship that had flown in behind Ace. Several laser shots flew by as Ace worked to regain control of his ship. The enemy maneuvered trying to get a lock with his instruments. At this moment Ace did a 180, turning his ship upside down.
         As the enemy ship flew past below him, Ace had already located the other enemy ship. It looked to be low on ammunition, and trying to wait for a time to strike. Ace moved into an offense position behind it, and started closing the distance between them.
         The enemy noticed what Ace had done, and knew he could no longer wait. Making a quick turn, he moved to face Ace head on. This, to him, was honorable combat, face to face, strength on strength.
         Ace watched the enemy carefully looking for a mistake. They drew closer, waiting to come into missile range. For a second he thought about trying for a missile lock, but quickly ruled it out because of the nearly flawless way this enemy moved. He instead, switched to his lasers, which were his preferred weapons any way.
         The enemy had, on the other hand, took a few seconds and managed to get a lock with his missiles. The screen read only a 33 percent chance of hitting its target, but it was better than nothing. He waited a second, trying for a better rate. When he knew it wasn't getting any better he pulled the trigger.
         Ace watched the missile release itself and burst towards him. Pulling hard to the left, trying to avoid it, he pulled the trigger hoping to get a lucky shot. As he turned the missile contacted one of his rear engines, and exploded. The computer alarm sounded, warning him the ship had been hit. Seeing that the ship was completely scraped he punched the eject button.
© Copyright 2011 Ace (smokey999 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806796-Space-Battle