*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806865-The-Vampire-of-Highland-Hills
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1806865
Gerald Martin believes he is the victim of forced vampirism.
I am Gerald Martin and I am a murderer. They called me the Vampire of Highland Hills. I ripped the throats out of thirteen victims and drained their blood. They called me cold and malicious; they compared me to Chikatilo and other monsters. I do not deserve such a reputation; I did as I had to. I am only responsible for one death. I will explain.



I pen this as I await my execution. I am only allowed to have paper and a felt tip pen. I hope this pen lasts until I have finished, I have a tendency to bear down on the pen when frustrated. I know I will be often during my tale. It is upsetting to know you are about to die and do not deserve it. I smile as I read over my last sentence. I know what you are thinking. I admitted I am a monster so of course I deserve to die, no?



I was born to average parents with average lives. I had a housewife for a mother, an executive for a father, and three siblings; my brother Nathaniel, my sisters Joanne and Desiree. There were no warning signs I was dangerous. No anatomy lessons learned on my own, no violent history. In fact I was popular in school with both the ladies and gents. I made good grades and excelled in sports. I was not destined to become a serial killer. A good job and decent living was all I really wanted. On thing kept me from it. Her name was Sherilynn Denmeyer, she was the most beautiful creature I have ever seen. Though now, I have seen her thirteen times since high school. She was the elusive one who would not give me the time of day no matter how hard I tried. Unfortunately, this made me more determined to have her.



Why? I am not exactly certain.  She was beautiful, of course, but not at all the kind of girl I normally dated. She was arrogant and snobbish, thinking her social status beyond me, and most others at school for that matter, despite the fact her father and mine worked the same jobs at the same company. I guess it all began when she started making it a point to snub me anytime we passed one another. She would always, without fail, turn her nose up. With a flip of her ever present ponytai she wouldl turn her back to me; even if it meant turning in the opposite direction she'd been headed in.



My friends used to laugh and point out she was not worth a second look with her attitude. I could not view it so casually. Why did she dislike me so? I had never ever spoken to her, nor did I have any classes with her. My determination to conquer her grew like an infection. School ended, we all graduated and went our separate ways. I was able to forget her...for awhile.



Eight years later I had a job at a good company and was making a great living. I was single, but very happy. Until she came back into my life. The company hired a new vice president. I was a bit irked that someone outside the company beat me to VP. I was horrified when I met her, Sherrilyn Denmeyer. My job in that company was finished I was sure of it; eventually I was collecting unemployment.



I had read many books on demonology and thought I could use some of my so-called skills to get her right where I wanted her, then dump her. You know . . . give a little of the humiliation she'd given me. I followed the spell carefully, using all the right candles, symbols, and practiced the incantation in my head so it would be perfect. I didn't dare speak it aloud until I was completely prepared. Did you know you are never completely prepared to meet a demon? I know . . . now.



Before the incantation was completely out of my mouth, the wind blew out the candles. Strange, since all the windows and doors were closed. The room became smoky and smelled horribly of sulfur. My senses were besieged by the horrid scent; I gagged and fought to keep from expelling the contents of my dinner all over the floor. Rotten eggs assaulted me until my stomach gave up.



When I was at last able to stand, I was assaulted by a horrid sight. There he stood, all seven or eight feet of him, tall, massive, and stinking. His skin was scaly with a deep blue-gray hue. His eyes were a muddied brown but looking into them was a glimpse into hell itself. His hair, if one could call it that, was dark black; It entwined itself about his waist. I flinched as I noticed it moving.  "You called upon me. What is your reason? Make it quick before I decide I am wasting my time,"he ordered in a voice that raised the hairs on the back of my neck.



"I did, Martas." Addressing him by name was a bold move, I truly had no idea what I was dealing with. He narrowed his eyes; watching me closely. "I summoned you because I want to make you a deal. I want something and so do you."



He began to laugh. "If I wanted your soul, I could have it right now. No bargaining, no bickering, I would merely take it. I am not bound to withhold as your magic books say." He pointed to the bookshelf with a flourish emphasizing his point. "I could tear your soul from you painfully, or quickly, at my discretion and you could do nothing to prevent me."



"True, true . . . " I proceeded. I was shocked by this revelation but pretended this was something I was aware of. I wondered if he were lying, as demons have been occasionally known to do. I decided for my sake it was better to leave his integrity unquestioned. "There's this girl. Her name is Sherilynn Denmeyer, and I have to have her. She scorns me for no reason and I have to have some kind of revenge."



Martas laughed, "You have been out of high school at least seven years. Why now?" he queried. I held up a newspaper, afraid to hand it to him lest he grab me. "I see. She is now the CEO of the company you have been at since right after  high school. Which is it? Jealousy because she just hired in and already outranks you, or is she shunning you again?"



"Both and neither. She shunned me all right; all the way to the unemployment line. Her third day on the job she noticed my name in the company directory. She did some inquiries to make sure I was the same Gerald Martin from high school. She called me into her office and fired me claiming a massive downsizing within the company. It was so massive I was the only one let go."



He watched me stoically, nothing in his expression gave away even the smallest bit of what he was thinking. "That's it? She is a bitch and fired you? You have absolutely nothing else to go on?"



"I am going to lose everything. That isn't reason enough?" I asked exasperated by his taunting.



"It does not matter whether I think it reason enough, now does it? It only matters that you think it worth the price I will ask in return. My price . . . is thirteen souls. Either you repay me with thirteen souls or I will rip yours from the flesh in the most painful ways."



"First of all," I said, being rather cocky, as I believed the circle would protect me. "You can't harm me as long as I stay in the circle. You can't enter." The demon regarded me silently, then in one terribly swift motion he held me within an inch of him, my face lingering dangerously close to his.



"I told you . . . your books have no binding power over me. They are written to sell to the gullible and weak minded." He sneered before dropping me. I fell to the floor, landing hard upon my ass. "Do you agree to our bargain?" he asked, casually.



I nodded then stood up, my ego suffering a huge bruise at his hands."Anyone in particular?" I asked. He shook his head.



"That, I will leave to your discretion. I do not care anything for them except ownership of their souls."



"All right and for my part . . . what is it you will do for me?" I dared.



" You will have your revenge. She will know great pain before she dies." he answered impatiently.



I was elated, I assumed he meant I would be allowed to torture and kill her. And I had wanted just to break her heart! I hastily dismissed him. To my eternal dismay he made one last demand.



"You must partake of the blood of the thirteen. No other method of death will be acceptable." I opened my mouth to ask what exactly he meant. He vanished in a sulfur smelling cloud of vapor.



I went to bed knowing I would be allow my revenge the next day. When I awoke it was very dark. I grumbled to myself before getting up. I had only slept a few hours and my mind longed to return to my dreams; my body would not allow it. I was starving; I did not remember ever being so hungry in my life. It was the kind of hunger you get when you have had nothing in a very long time.



I showered and dressed, intending to go to a local all night fast food joint. I had been so obsessed as of late with Sherilynn I had not bought groceries. I now know this would have been a waste of resources anyway. As I ran a comb through my hair, I noticed the time. The clock read 8:35. I could not imagine it being so dark at this time of the morning. All sorts of wild thoughts loosened themselves in my mind. Then I noticed it . . . a detail so small it almost escaped me. The alarm clock has an indicator for a.m. or p.m. The light was on, indicating it was now 8:40 p.m..



At this point I should have realized something was wrong. Never had I slept an entire day through. Never. Not even during my meth days of so long ago. Instead, I honestly believed I had just been that exhausted from my meeting with Martas. I had read summoning such a creature could drain you of energy for hours. It seemed like they were some sort of psychic vampire almost, leeching off your energy to keep themselves in this realm.



I headed out planning on a large meal then awaiting my opportunity to exact my revenge on Sherilyn. I found myself in a local burger chain; the scent of the food brought rippling waves of nausea tearing through my body. I hurried back outside inhaling deep droughts of the chilled night air. Slowly regaining my composure, I stood leaning on the building for support. The nausea passed and was quickly replaced by a deep weakness. I felt I could barely stand.



I forced myself away from the building, shuffling down the street. I was barely able to lift my legs, the sound of the soles of my shoes on the concrete was deafening. "Are you all right?" someone asked. Someone who was in place very far from me, or so it seemed. A warm hand grabbed my arm firmly above the elbow. "There is a bus stop a block from here. Let's get you there so you may sit before you fall. Are you ill?"



The young woman sat next to me and smiled. It was a smile of pure innocence. I could not believe such innocence could survive in the harsh modern world. Only children have such innocence, yet she was not a child. "I'm Sarah, would you like me to call someone? Is there someone that can pick you up? Should I call an ambulance?"



Though my head was spinning from the weakness and numerous questions, with which she bombarded me my hunger returned stronger than before. I would have laughed if anyone had told me it was possible to feel so empty. I inhaled deeply, trying desperately to recover myself before she called someone and ruined my chance at Sherilynn. That was when it hit me, full on and with deadly force. The scent, a scent so filled with fragrance that it seemed bursting. I could not imagine what it might be. I looked dumbly about and saw nothing unusual. I closed my eyes, attempting to focus. Vaguely I could hear my heart beating and with it . . . hers. It was almost perfectly in sync with my own.



I kept very still as sanguine images of her blood flowing through blue veins consumed me. I was lulled into a wondrous sense of euphoria. I do not remember opening my eyes. I do not remember anything from that moment to the moment her crimson life flowed into my anxious mouth. I was immediately restored. Vitality and renewed strength coursed through every fiber of my being. I looked at my skin as though expecting her blood to seep through and reveal my murderous act.



I leapt from the bench and looked over my surroundings. Not a soul was about, the streets seem deserted and for this I was grateful. I hurried from my victim and back to my home. Ecstasy from the kill was tinged with distinct sadness, and I had been cursed by summoning Martas. I was paying dearly for revenge on Sherilynn. She would have certainly laughed at the irony had she been able.



I spent the rest of the night watching old movies and wondering when I would get my time with Sherilynn. I had been cursed, dammit, this was unfair. I had expected satisfaction concerning her by now.



Just before dawn the early news came on. The lead stories caught my attention. The first was my victim, which was certainly no surprise or shock to me. The second was a woman, who had been tortured in very brutal ways, left hanging from a street lamp only a few blocks from her apartment .Sherilynn!



My heart pounded furiously. How dare Martas cheat me in such a way?! "Martas!" I seethed. "You cheated me! You . . . " before I could finish my sentence and in some small way quell my anger my skin began to burn. Not the type of burning as from a fire, but a stinging sensation. I feared I would burst into flames at any moment. I began to apologize profusely, hoping Martas would not destroy me where I stood. I had been too bold. My skin still stung, more fiercely than before. I looked about for any trace of the vile demon and noticed only the dawn.



So that was it, I marveled. The sun would incinerate me if I stood exposed too long. After the brief shock wore off, I regained my senses and moved away from the window. I drew the blinds and prepared to sleep throughout the day. I could not help but wonder why Martas had chosen to curse me with vampirism. I slept more deeply that I ever had before. I remember nothing of the day that passed.



That night I woke again to a darkened room. A glance at the clock assured me it was almost again nine p.m.. I dressed quickly and went out to really explore my new abilities. I began to hear the thoughts of those around me. This enabled me to know when someone was approaching as I ravaged my victims. I heightened sense of smell granted me the oddest ability. I was able to sense the purity of the victim. The purest enticed me, their blood was sweetest. Those who led pious lives had now fallen victim to everything they had feared. Their souls had been lost.



It is almost midnight now. Soon my time will be up. All thirteen were very young and pretty, all resembling Sherilynn. I was relatively easy to capture after that. The police matched my dental records with the bite marks on the victims. Unlike the vampires of lore and legend; I never had fangs, I ripped the flesh with my normal teeth. Dental records were my downfall.



I will be executed tonight for the deaths of those women but not for the death of Sherilynn Denmeyer, which is really the only death I am responsible for.



******



Amy Defey stood near the door waiting for the guard to open it. She had been a psychologist for almost a quarter century but had never heard such a delusional tale. She looked at Gerald Martin wondering how such a gentle looking man could become so innately evil. The guards had confiscated his journal that morning and she had read his confession thoroughly. He believed he was a vampire. She was convinced he had written the journal intending for it to be seen only after his death.



She sat next to him and held the journal toward him. He studied it precariously but did not offer to take it. "If you have read it, you know the truth. I don't need to say more."



"Gerald, I think there is a lot more to be said. If you were a vampire you would not be here now waiting for your execution, now would you? And if those women were good Samaritans a demon couldn't get their souls, right?"



"You would think not, wouldn't you?" Gerald asked, his eyes trained upon the journal as he spoke. "After I killed the thirteenth victim I became Gerald Martin again, nothing else. Martas giveth and Martas taketh away." he said, his voice dripping with bitter sarcasm.



Amy sighed and stood to leave. There was no use trying to talk to him further. His delusion was all too real. "God bless you, Gerald. I hope you find some peace tonight."



Gerald nodded and turned his gaze to the wall before him. Amy waited until the guard locked the cell behind her. "It's too bad really." she said as they began their long trek down the corridor. "I had hoped he would realize his delusions and seek redemption."



"Not everyone is Heaven bound," the guard observed. Amy found herself stepping away from him as far as the confines of the corridor would allow. Not only was he rude and insensitive, but he smelled horrible. He smiled at her as they neared the end of the corridor. She waited as he unlocked the final gate. "Oh Ms. Defey . . . " he began as he closed the gate behind her. She turned and was met with the most vile image.



The thing stood leaning closed to the gate. Its hideous face pressed close to the bars. "Vampires consume the life force. They can consume the souls through the blood. Now I will claim what is mine." The thing turned quickly and began the trek back to Gerald Martin's cell. Amy swallowed a scream of repulsion and horror as the creature dragged Martin from his cell. Martin offered resistance but not nearly as she would have expected. He looked at her, his eyes glazed with horror, but not a sound escaped his throat.



This creature wanted her to see what it did next. Why, she did not know. Despite the horror reverberating throughout her body she watched as it ripped Martin open and removed his heart. It held it out so she may observe the swirling tendrils surrounding it. The trapped souls longing for escape, bound to the heart of their killer through their blood. With a wicked smirk he consumed it. "Thirteen souls." it observed and disappeared from her view.



Amy screamed pitifully as realization hit her. Martas could truly get whomever he wished no matter how pious they might be.
© Copyright 2011 Morgana (morgana1966 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806865-The-Vampire-of-Highland-Hills