*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806924-Hidden-Heart
by saby
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1806924
A short story of a girl's hope returned.
I stood against the wall of the train station watching people wait. Hoodie pulled up over my cap, head down, sunglasses on, just another disaffected teenager. Nobody looked at me, except for one. Scanning the crowd, all of whom faced the tracks as if by turning away they would miss that all important train as it flashed by, one man caught my eyes, because he was looking straight into mine. I didn’t know him but I knew his face if you know what I mean. If this was a movie I would be on IMDB first chance I got. In my real life however, familiar is dangerous. Familiar is anyone who recognises me and drags me back to that church going, well respected, pillar of the community family who nearly killed my spirit by abusing my body.

My mind screamed run but my body knew better. I pushed off the wall with studied indifferent attitude and began to move towards the stairs leading out. As I reached them a large group of tourists all streamed down at once. I stood aside to let them pass and took the opportunity to glance behind me. The man had gone from where I had first spotted him and I almost started to relax, until I saw him emerge from behind a pillar, eyes still locked on me and him moving my way.

My panicking mind took over a little at that point and I began to shove my way up the stairs through the chattering people. It was slow going and I had only reached the first landing when my pursuer reached the bottom of the stairs and began to force his own way up.

I cleared the top of the stairs ahead and looked around frantically for an escape route. “Excuse me,” a voice said behind me and a hand grabbed my arm. I turned sharply ready to fight by whatever means necessary... to be confronted by a friendly smile as my pursuer held out his hand with a wallet in it. I stared uncomprehendingly as he continued, “you dropped this when you bought your coffee. I couldn’t leave until my replacement came a few minutes later. I’m so glad I was able to catch you.”

“I... thanks,” I smiled weakly taking the wallet out of his hand.

“Just my good deed for the day. You have a great day now, okay.”

My pursuer waved and headed back down the stairs. I remembered him now, the happy face I had barely noticed in my own introspection, intent on simple survival and invisibility. I stood holding the wallet in my hand a slight smile on my face ignoring the sighs of irritation and jostling as others headed down the stairs. The world still held hope for me and I was still free... for today.

© Copyright 2011 saby (saby at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1806924-Hidden-Heart