*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1807024-Johnnys-Birthday-Surprise
Rated: E · Chapter · Children's · #1807024
Children's Book 2k words
Chapter One
Meet Johnny




Johnny was sitting in his backyard one sunny summer morning on the tire swing he and his father had put up. It had been last summer before he went off to Iraq for a year. It was the best and saddest day of Johnny’s life. They picked out the biggest oak tree in the backyard and he carried the tire while his dad swung the rope over a big thick tree branch. Once they got it all put together they spent the whole afternoon out in the backyard. Just Johnny and his dad being pushed ever higher all the while soaring through the air. They were trying not to think about the fact that the next morning his dad would be shipped off to Iraq for a year.

Now he sat on that tire swing thinking about what adventures he should have that day. He could sail the seven seas with Long John Silver searching for Treasure Island. Better yet he could go to Egypt and explore the Pyramids searching for the City of the Dead where all the pharaohs’ secrets lie. Or he could be the great Sherlock Holmes out to foil the plot of his enemy Moriarti. Johnny had an active imagination, as do all boys his age, which just happens to be 11 this week. He wished his dad could be here for it. He already missed his 10 birthday.

What Johnny doesn’t know is that his dad will be there for his birthday. Sergeant James Cooke is coming home the day before little Johnny’s birthday as a surprise. His tour in Iraq is finally up and he wants to surprise his little boy for his special day. Johnny’s mom knows all about the surprise. It has been extremely hard to keep it a secret; for she knows how much her little boy has missed his dad. Still she remains strong because she knows the military and anything could happen to keep her husband from returning home. She doesn’t want to disappoint Johnny if her husband can’t make it. So instead she gets ready for Johnny’s party on Saturday.

Johnny is still in the backyard, he has decided to be an explorer in Egypt. He has just found a clue that will lead him to the City of the Dead when his mother calls him in for lunch.

“Johnny”, she yells, “Johnny, time for lunch.”

“Aw, Mom,” Johnny says, “I was just about to find the City of the Dead. Can’t lunch wait, please?”

His mother responds, “No I’m sorry but the great explorer needs his energy. Besides your grandmother has sent you an early birthday card and is on the phone waiting to see how you like it. So get in here and clean up, then talk to your grandmother and thank her for the card.”

Reluctantly he listens to his mother and comes in to wash up and thank his grandmother. Then he sits at the table and bolts down his PB&J Sandwich and chicken noodle soup. He then grabs the glass of milk his mother poured for him and hastily finishes it as he is racing for the door to get back to his expedition to the City of the Dead. He had just reached the door when his mother calls out.

“Hold on a minute, did you rinse out your bowl and glass and put them in the sink? Hmm, I didn’t think so. Clean up your mess before you go back outside.”

“Aw Mom, why do you have to be so mean, I got to get back to the expedition?”

She just laughs and says, “So you think I am mean do you, well it’s not many mothers who would go to all this trouble to fix their sons lunch when they are acting so ungrateful, so I would count my blessings if I was you mister.”

“Alright, alright,” he says, “you’re right. I will rinse out the dishes, and then can I go?”

“Then you may go.” She says.

He runs to the sink and rinses out the bowl and glass, then bolts for the door and the adventure continues.

His adventures are interrupted once more for dinner; and then afterwards he is out late into the night conducting his exploration when finally he is called in to go to bed. He obeys his mother without a word. For if the truth is told he is very tired and can’t wait to sink into bed. First, of course, before that he has to take a bath and brush his teeth. Once he is finished he says his prayers with the help of his mother. Just like every night before. He asks God to watch over his dad and please bring him home soon. And just like every night since his father went away, his prayer brings a tear to his mother’s eye and she silently repeats it herself. She kisses him on his forehead and tells him good night. Then she closes his door and he slips off to sleep dreaming of the adventure he just had in the backyard today.






Chapter 2
He’s coming home


Friday morning bright and early found Johnny up and dressed and ready for another adventure. Just one more day until his birthday, and he couldn’t wait. Mom had promised him he could have a party at the local pizza parlor with all of his friends. His first real birthday party, the only thing missing was his dad. He had learned long ago though never to be disappointed. It was all part of life in the military. Besides he was never one to complain. When his dad was home they did everything together. Played catch in the backyard. Went to see the baseball games and went out for ice cream every weekend. So what if sometimes he had to go away for a while, he always came home and everyone was so happy when he did. Mom would put on her best dress and sing a tune as she danced around the house getting ready for his dad to arrive.

There wasn’t much of her singing nowadays, everyone was always talking about September 11th and why they were even going to Iraq. Oh sure they tried to hide if from Johnny, but he always found a way to listen in. He was a big boy now, going to be eleven. Almost a man it was time to stop treating him like a little kid. He could handle it.

He raced down stairs just in time as his mother was about to holler for him to come down for breakfast. Sausage and banana pancakes, his favorite. He went over to the sink and washed his face and hands then sat down at the table just as his mom set his plate in front of him.

“Sleep good last night?” she asked as she kissed him on the forehead

“Yea, mom, I did.”

“I’m going into town this morning to do a little shopping. Do you want to ride along with me or should I get Mrs. Gray to watch after you?” she asked

“Can I get some glue for my model plane? I ran out day before yesterday and haven’t been able to finish the B57 model I was working on.”

“Sure you can, I am going by the hardware store, I am sure Mr. Simmons will have just what you need. I will be leaving by eleven so don’t go wandering off if you want to go with me. I need to pick up some stuff for your party tomorrow.”

“Okay, I’ll be around. What time are we going to head over to the pizza place tomorrow?”

“Oh, I would say probably around three.”

“Great, I can’t wait to see what everyone gets me. This is going to be the best!”

At that he rinsed his plate off and set it in the sink then headed for the door to the backyard. He wanted to get in some of his latest adventure before the left for town.
Back in the kitchen Mrs. Cooke was saying a silent prayer that her son’s birthday would be as great as he hoped. She hadn’t heard from her husband yet and didn’t know if he was still going to be able to make it. He was supposed to have called her this morning to let her know when he would be arriving. Just then the phone rang and she jumped up and grabbed the receiver.

“Hello, James, you were supposed to call hours ago. Are you still going to be able to come home?”

“Yes,” said the voice of Sergeant James Cooke, “I will be there by noon tomorrow. What time is the party?”

“We are going to be there at three. Oh James, I can’t believe it you’re really coming home. I have missed you so much. So has Johnny, though he wouldn’t dare admit it. He wants everyone to think he’s just as brave as his father.”

“I missed you guys too. I’m saving up a big kiss for my best girl when I get there too. I was even able to pick something up here for the boy. I think he’ll really like it…Well, let me get off here so I don’t miss the plane. You know how transports can be? See you tomorrow.”

“With that she hung up the phone and hastily wiped a tear from her eye. Her husband was coming home. It was really happening. Johnny is going to be ecstatic.

She finished cleaning up the dishes and called for Johnny to come inside and clean up because they were about to leave for the store. The rest of the day seem to fly by as night fell and Johnny was already in his pajamas and ready for bed. His mom helped him with his nightly prayers and he was off and dreaming as soon as his head hit the pillow.







Chapter 3
Birthday surprise




Saturday morning, Johnny opens his eyes and it takes only a second for him to realize. Today is the day! He jumps out of bed, sprints to the bathroom. He barely brushes his teeth, drags a comb through his hair and half throws on his clothes. Then he hurtles himself to the stairs, sliding down the banister as he calls out to anyone who would be listening:

“It’s my birthday today, happy birthday to me! Mom!”

“I’m in the kitchen,” she calls

“Mom, you know what today is, it’s my birthday.”

She laughs to herself, “Yes I know what today is, you are my son after all. Did you think I would forget?”

“Aw, Mom, I know you wouldn’t forget”

“Good, then sit down and eat some breakfast. It will be a while before we leave for your party anyway.”

So he sits down to eat his breakfast. All the while he’s humming happy birthday to me under his breath. His mom is doing the dishes and listening to the news on the T.V. She is just about to turn if off when a special breaking news report comes in.

CNN reporter Todd Banks comes on saying: “…And this just in, seems an aircraft transport carrying soldiers home from Iraq has gone missing…”

Johnny’s mom drops a plate and turns to the T.V. she thinks to herself “Oh, please God don’t let it be, not on Johnny’s birthday!”

Todd continues, “…reports are that the tower lost contact with the plane mid Atlantic at 5 am this morning, no word yet as to whether the plane has gone down or there is just a communications problem. We will keep you updated as the story unfolds; now back to your local broadcasts…”

Peggy wrings her hands and whispers another silent prayer, then before Johnny begins to suspect anything she composes herself and turns to him with a smile.

“I must be getting clumsy in my old age. Be a dear and get me the broom will you, and be careful, don’t step on any glass.”

“Here you go mom, hey mom? Can I go over to Kenny’s; I want to see if he is coming to my party today?”

“Sure honey, you go ahead, I will call you when it’s time to leave.”

She wants him out of the house so she can get back to the news and see what is going on. Once he leaves and she has finished cleaning up the mess, she turns the T.V. back on and sits there holding her breath.

She sits there all day up until about an hour before Johnny’s party, but the reporter has no news for her. They still report no contact. She can’t wait any longer to see what will happen. She has to pull herself together and put on a happy face for Johnny. All the while inside she is terrified.

She calls Johnny in and tells him it is time to go. He is totally excited and can’t wait for his first real boy/girl party. Just as they are heading out the door, he turns to his mom and says:

“I wish dad could be here.”

She almost looses it right there, instead she smiles and looks down at him. As she brushes the hair out of his face she says to him,
“I do too honey, I do too. Come, let’s go, you don’t want to keep your friends waiting now do you?”

They get in the car and head straight for the pizza parlor, he races inside and everyone shouts “Happy Birthday!”

All the adults know his father is supposed to surprise him and they have also seen the news report this morning. They all exchange looks with Johnny’s mother and give her a little squeeze on the shoulder as they come up to greet the birthday boy.

They are just about to bring out the cake and get the party started when the door suddenly swings open and a loud voice shouts,

“Where is my birthday boy! I heard he’s turning 11 today, well I couldn’t miss that!”

Everyone cheers as Johnny runs and jumps into his father’s open arms. Sergeant James Cooke has made it home to his family safe and sound! After his boy has had enough of him his wife stands before him and just burst out crying.

“I saw the news this morning and they said an aircraft carrier….”

But she couldn’t finish she was overcome with tears and he just scooped her up in his arms and held her until she stopped crying. Then he explained that the pilot had lost the ability to communicate with the tower but that they finally got it to get working and were able to land just fine an hour ago.

This was the best birthday surprise Johnny had ever had and one he wouldn’t soon forget.
© Copyright 2011 Tammy Knott (waholi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1807024-Johnnys-Birthday-Surprise