*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808225-Secret-King-A-Four-Kingdoms-story-pt2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1808225
The second part of the story I wrote (first chapter) to support the game at www.4khr.com
The Market at Seven Roads

As they headed north beyond Vejor, small roads joined to become larger roads.  At a small square, six roads joined to become Dalaak highway (one of the three main sub roads which ultimately become the Grand Northern Road).  Several people had set up a makeshift market.  Goods of all sorts were available from people who were milling about the square. 

“I am going to look for some more medical stuff, a helmet and maybe some better shoes”, said Bodlee. 

Derze also wanted to look around for bargains.  Leehemm was kind of tired from the walk and decided to hang out with Bodlee and Derze.  Urlee and Bovard also stayed to shop.

Xilaf, Wulffan, Yanax and Xitus continued north to prepare accommodations for the group.

Xilaf sent a message to Bodlee:

XILAF:  Please find out all you can about the House of Eight Wells.  I know where it is! It can be our first adventure.  But be discreet if you can.

BODLEE:  Yes!  Bovard is very talkative; it seems his father’s friend launched a minor exploration of the underground city from that entrance.  They brought back a few trinkets, but it seems that they left most of it unexplored.  I’ll give you more information later. 

Xitus and Yanax were pretty quiet as the four walked up the Grand Northern Road.  No one was heading south as it was late in the day, and most people were interested in getting to the inn, or the region beyond it.  A small group passed them with just a friendly greeting.  Mostly, Xilaf and Wulffan talked to each other.

Wulffan was saying, “We have to carefully consider our adventure, but we also have to consider the idea of not entering the ruins at all.  Remember, the stories are full of people who sought adventure among the ruins and never returned. Or returned missing limbs, or with scarred faces or worse.”

“Yes”, Xilaf added, “I think about that.”

“Gold and glory are certainly positive things”, Wulffan continued, “but I think when you stand at the top of the wall and begin to climb into that ancient territory, you need something more than greed to propel you forward.”

“I agree”, said Xilaf, “There are a lot of ways to attain gold, perhaps not as quickly, but with less personal risk.  But what you can’t gain is the unique perspective of one who has seen Soflmo first hand.  One who has returned with knowledge of that ancient world which can enrich all of our lives.  And who has unwrapped a little of the mysteries which surround us.  I would prefer not being bitten or clawed, but I do not see myself living in a little wooden house, in the shadow of such greatness and legend without going to see it for myself.”

“Speaking of houses, Bodlee and Urlee are already planning to build houses in the far north”, Wulffan said. 

They spoke for a while of houses and plans.  Xitus and Yanax seemed very excited about building and protecting the homes of Bodlee and Urlee. 

Miles before they reached the inn, the light scent of flowers gave way to the pungent aromas of meat rubbed with pungent spices roasting over an open flame.  Everyone talked about hunger and food.  And then, finally, the Northern Inn came into view.

The Northern Inn

A small road ran a few yards east from the main road.  It ended in a square building much bigger than a house.  You could walk around the building to the complex of buildings and courtyards behind it, however that was discouraged by well armored men patrolling the north and south sides of the Key House (the building was called the Key House).

Xitus, Yanax, Wulffan and Xilaf walked inside.  A friendly looking fellow with very curly hair was seated behind a heavy wooden table.  “We seek food.”  They all said, although not quite in unison.  Wulffan added,” and I also seek lodging”.  They paid 2 blue coins each (.01j) and received identical large metal keys to Hall Seven.  Wulfan paid 10b (10 blue coins = ½ silver coin) and received a smaller key as well.

They continued through the room and outside.  A rectangular field about 50 paces long and almost as wide, with short grass and a few shrubs was bordered left and right by rows of long wood and stone structures (close to each other, but not quite touching).  Two dozen (or so) people were sitting and standing around in small groups.  Some were eating from wooden bowls. Others were biting into strips of dried meat.  But most were just talking excitedly.

The sun was beginning to set.

Our group was hungry after their long walk, so they went straight to the Seventh Building on the right, Xitus used his key and they all entered.  “Wow, this room is forty feet long.  What a bargain.” Said Xilaf (a foot is a unit of distance about equal to the length of a man’s foot (although, if you read English you probably know what a foot is)).

The room was indeed 40 feet long, and 32 feet wide.  It was made with small white bricks (floor, walls and ceiling) with a very thin mortar between them.  The height of the room was at first only 6 feet, but a few steps in (5 feet 4 inches) there was a steep brick stairway which went down 15 feet.  From the base of the stairs, it was almost like one of the buildings in Vejor (spacious, grand and solid).  Three long tables (5 feet wide and 20 feet long) sat widthwise in the room, with comfortable aisles running along the walls to the left and right.  There were four metal doors on the far wall.  The room was well lit by mounted torches and fire bowls (burning the kind of wood which gives no smoke). 

The two tables closest to them were empty.  Five women and three men were seated at the third table (near the far wall).  They shouted friendly hellos, exchanged names, chatted some, and then returned to their food and conversation.  Xilaf, Yanax, Wulffan and Xitus sat at the second table.  After a few moments, one of the metal doors opened and a man and a woman (in cloth clothing with no obvious armor) came over to their table. 

The woman had a tray of peaches and apples which she placed on the table.  The man added several bottles of apple juice mixed with water. (These things were included with the price of the evening room).  Xilaf requested a roast pig, basket of bread, and bowls of Conlash (a mixture of oatmeal, long beans and avocado which tastes better than it sounds (especially with bread)).  They ate the fruit and drank and talked and waited for the pig and other items to arrive.  Everyone was well mannered and calm.  No one stood on tables or ran around the room. Something had happened during their long sleep.  The years of dreams had matured their minds and now they were like all of the grown men and women who had cared for them in their youths.

Jorxi (a woman from the other table) joined them and was talking to Yanax and Xitus. Wulffan turned to Xilaf and suggested, “ Let’s examine the room I rented for the women”.  On either side of the stairway leading back to the main entrance, were short narrow tunnels.  They each lit a torch from one of the nearby firebowls, passed through the short tunnel and entered a wide square chamber.  After lighting all of the bowls and torches in the chamber, they could clearly see heavy wooden doors on the walls around them.  There were two to the left, four in front and two to the right. 

Wulffan inserted her key into the lock on one of the center doors in front of them.  She turned it around several times, as it rotated there was much clicking and clacking.  Finally, the door swung open to reveal a small chamber (more like a large cell than a small bedroom).  A pleasant, but unnatural light filled the room from glass panes in the stone ceiling which were not windows (it was early nighttime).  The room was completely stone and completely bare except for a stone slab in the far left corner and a large metal bowl (filled with water) on a stone pedestal in the far right corner.  The room was not dusty and the air smelled fresh.  The water in the bowl was very warm. 

Wulffan closed the door behind them and turned the inner handle until she heard several reassuring clicks.  “Finally, I feel truly safe.”  She put down her pack, and removed her dagger and its belt.  She removed her breast plate.  And she pulled off her heavy armored pants and leather boots.  She was wearing only her long cloth shirt which hung down to her knees.  She sat on the stone slab and relaxed.   

Xilaf put down his staff and unbuckled his breastplate.  “She could still grab her dagger and lunge at me”, he thought, “and I would not have much of a defense.”  But he decided her dagger wasn’t that sharp and he would risk it.  He removed his breast and thigh plates, and felt much lighter in just shirt, pants (and cup). 

He was considering removing his pants and sitting next to Wulffan.  She’d had half a dozen chances to leave his side, and hadn’t taken any of them.  Here they were, safe, warm and together.  It seemed . . . But then there was a knock at the door.  Wulffan lunged (at the door) and opened it.  Derze, Bodlee and Urlee entered the small room.

The chatter of the women echoed off the walls of the small chamber, as they disarmored themselves and splashed their faces with warm water.  Wulffan put on a pair of cloth pants, donned her dagger and they all returned to the Hall with Xilaf grabbing his staff and following after them.

Leehemm, Bovard, Xitus and Yanax were telling Jorxi a funny story they had all shared.  Xilaf and the women rejoined the table, and began laughing just to share in the laughter.  At that moment, the metal door flew open and the pig arrived.  The man and woman from before, with another woman carrying a tray of bowls, set out the food and everyone talked and laughed and ate.

“I was planning to team up with an experienced adventurer when I awoke.” Urlee said to Leehemm “But it seems that is no longer an option.”  Everyone laughed nervously, they were all thinking about their strange situation, but no one talked about it.

Bovard changed the subject, “I think a lot of those stories are exaggerated.  I mean, you climb the wall, get attacked by some wild dogs, and then years later they’re “monsters”.  The people who find easy gold are just trying to discourage us from going so they’ll have exclusive access.”  This sparked a friendly but passionate debate (everyone had a mother’s friend or uncle’s neighbor who had returned from some ruin with more than scratches)

After a while, Wulffan added “Those aren’t even the really big questions.  Where are the people who built Vejor?  Why do we speak English when I can’t find Eng on any map?  Why did the Lords of the First Age live with monsters?”

Xilaf answered, “I can answer the last one.  The monsters were their pets, guards and companions (or so I was told) like our dogs.”

Leehemm added, “And we all know one thing.  The gold is real.”

Derze raised her glass, “A toast:  To booty!”

They all raised a glass.  “Tremendous treasure and booty await you in the ruins.” added Urlee.

Someone was going to say it.  It was Xitus.  “There’s nothing in the world better than booty . . . and gold and jewels aren’t bad either.” He said.

They all laughed.  Perhaps their minds weren’t as mature as Xilaf had imagined.  Finally it was late evening.  Everyone had to clear out of the Hall.  The ladies returned to their room, while Xilaf, Leehemm, Xitus and Yanax went outside, followed a small path for a while, and set up camp under a large tree.


The First Plan

After sleeping, talking and sending messages through the night, the plan was clear by morning. 

•          While shopping at the market, Bodlee and Urlee met a farm owner named Hualaf (and some other merchants) and arranged to buy all the wood (and other stuff) they needed to build two houses.  One would be a house of healing, the other a house of rest (like a miniature inn).
•          Xilaf, Bovard, Wulffan, Leehemm, Derze , Yanax and Xitus all agreed help build the houses, and to donate 5 silver each to help buy the materials.  (Bodlee and Urlee would put up 2 gold each and pledge another 7 gold)
•          Xilaf would lead them to a spot (about 5 miles south of Soflmo) which was less than a morning’s walk from the House of Eight Wells. They could build the houses at that location.
•          The morning after the houses were constructed, Xilaf, Bovard, Wulffan, Leehemm and Derze would embark on the perilous journey beneath the House of Eight Wells and into the underground city of Soflmo.  While Yanax, Xitus, Urlee, Bodlee and other friends would protect the houses.
•          After defeating the traps and creatures of that ancient city, they would return (those that survived) to the houses (where they would always be welcomed) to rest and heal.


They walked north from dawn till early evening.  The day was clear and warm.  With 8 well armed travelers, they felt confident and secure.  They talked and shared stories. Even Xitus and Yanax became more talkative and shared their plans and thoughts.  As the day progressed, their friendship grew stronger.

The road went mostly through the thin forest of the north.  There were no birds, deer, rabbits or even squirrels in the woods because the trees and shrubs that grew wild weren’t tasty or nourishing.  Even the wood from forest trees (which made great firewood (it burned bright and warm without smoke)) was weak and useless for building (which is why they bought wood from farm trees for their houses).

While they were close to the Inn, friends of the Inn (who were numerous and strong) kept the area peaceful and civilized.  As they moved further into the forest and traveled roads which were less popular, they noticed (once or twice) the eyes of strangers watching them from trees or bushes nearby.  Their strength and numbers may have deterred a number of attacks.

After a few hours, the road began branching and getting smaller.  Xilaf chose the correct path at every fork.  They crossed a stone bridge over a deep and fast flowing stream and entered an area with very few trees, and lots of short bushes.

“This seems like a great place to camp”, announced Yanax. 
“Well”, added Urlee, “No one can creep up on us from the south without crossing that bridge” 
Leehemm had already sat down in the road.  “And we’ll be well hidden behind those shrubs.” he added.

So, even though it was still light, they camped (well off the road, but still within sight of the bridge). It wasn’t much of a camp.  Since the day was clear and warm they didn’t bother with tents, and just lay blankets on the ground, dropped their packs and rested. 


Camp and the Final Camp

Xilaf and Bodlee gathered some wood and made a fire.  Xilaf made a soup with dry beans and leftover ham (from the inn).  They all had soup and bread.  Yanax and Xitus thanked Xilaf for the soup and said they were going to meet “friends” and would return in a few hours.  They left their packs and thigh plates at the camp. They crossed the bridge, left the road, and walked east along the southern bank of the stream until they were out of sight.

As the sun set, Bovard told the story of “Biian (his grandfather) and the House of Eight Wells”

The story of Biian and the House of Eight Wells

         A gift of shields

It was in the one hundred seventieth year of the second age (which was then simply referred to as the “New Age”) during the reign of King Weisius the fool (in the North) that a force of two hundred soldiers was sent south to seize the town of Jokktai.  Biian, who had awakened with only a few silver coins in his hands (a few months before), was working on a farm for little more than food.  The farm lord was helping the king (whom he feared) by having his men perform various chores in support of the army.  One day they were told to attach the wooden handles to the circular common metal shields that were standard issue at that time.  This was done with two nails, which were not to be driven through the shields, but through holes drilled in the shields with a black metal drill bit.  This was not immediately communicated to the men, so the first several shields were nailed straight through.  This gave them small cracks which, in the clang of battle would cause them to fail. 

The farm lord always wanted his men to do a lot of work and to do it well. However, he also had a friendly way and a generous spirit.  As an example of this, he gave the defective shields (which were fine against flesh and bone) to the men. 

A quick decision

Now in possession of mighty shields (to go with the common metal daggers they (and just about everyone) carried) they decided that they had suffered poverty and its humiliations long enough.  That very afternoon, they set out for Soflmo (the northern ruin) to seek their fortune. 

The eight of them (all men, all larger than basic) reached the wall at sunrise.  They shared a pot of strong coffee and climbed the wall (using spikes and rope as if they were climbing a mountain).

A fruitless day (unless you consider pain and suffering a kind of fruit)

They quickly crossed the 100 yards of high grass and shrubs which were growing close to the wall, and found a major road.  While heading about 2 miles north, they passed scores of small houses whose doors had already been bashed or whose locks had already been picked, and looked around only to find that their contents had already been looted.  They decided to split into 4 teams and shout or message when they found something of value. 

Biian and his partner decided to climb to the roof of a two floor house.  They thought they might be able to see something useful from a high vantage point.  What they saw was a pair of Monster-Wolves (wolves the size of horses with grey fur with bright red stripes and short horns growing along a line from the center of their heads to the middle of their backs).  The wolves were slowly approaching Anreas and his friend who were oblivious to the danger.  Biian messaged Anreas: “You are being stalked by giant wolves”.  And they climbed down off the roof and ran quickly and quietly towards the scene.

Anreas froze in his tracks.  He uttered a profanity and then quickly surveyed his surroundings without looking behind him.  The only refuge (which wasn’t much of one) was a narrow alley between two houses about 15 paces to his right.  Unfortunately, the alley wasn’t narrow enough.  It was 7 or 8 feet wide, but it would have to do.  Anreas said, “Wolves!” and sprinted towards the alley.  His friend was right behind him.  When he got to the mouth of the alley, he turned and presented his shield.  The first wolf had leapt so high, she appeared to be falling from the sky.  She landed on the other guy’s back.  He fell flat on his face, and the wolf began biting his neck.  He was wearing a studded flat metal collar, so the wolf couldn’t bite his head off (although it kept trying in spite of the blood dripping from its mouth).  The other wolf was lazily trotting over to share in what seemed to be an easy kill. 

Anreas lunged forward, reached around his shield and stabbed the beast in its shoulder.  Surprised by his heroics, perhaps thinking he was like other prey which ran away from their fallen brothers when the herd was attacked, the wolf backed away for a moment.  Anreas’s friend crawled to his side, and they raised their shields to the wolves and backed into the alley. 

The wolves were startled for a moment, but quickly and angrily resumed their attack.  They barked and clawed and pushed at the shields in the narrow alley.  Our heroes were holding their own, but being pushed back towards the end of the alley where a row of horizontal metal bars (with sharp studs around them) blocked the entrance to a grassy field overgrown with shrubs.

Not a moment too soon, Biian and two of their friends entered the alley.  The wolves didn’t even look back, they were so focused on the meal in front of them.  The three swung their daggers wildly.  Blood flew everywhere.  The wolves clawed and bit randomly around them.  Biian’s partner was bit on the side and fell to the ground.  The wolves fell dead.

Biian pulled cloth from his pack and applied pressure to his partners wound.  Anreas’ friend said, “The meat of these creatures is poisonous, but perhaps the fur . . .” Those were the last words he ever uttered.  Suddenly, tentacles, like a very large octopus, but covered with fur like a monkey or dog reached out from between the bars and grabbed him by the lower legs.  He was too large to be pulled between the bars - but he was pulled between the bars, leaving a pool of blood and torn flesh behind. 

Anreas screamed.  Everyone moved away from the bars (but not out into the street (there may be more wolves)).  “What the f--k have we done?!”  exclaimed Biian, “We’ve walked willingly to our doom! Was life on the farm so bad?”  He began crying.  Several of the men cried as well. 

After about an hour, Weijor and another guy arrived at the alley.  No one knew what had happened to the eighth guy.  There were six of them now.  It was going to get dark soon, and the really big creatures hunted at night. They were 6 miles from the wall, so they needed a place to hunker down for the night.  Biian remembered seeing an isolated building in a quiet stone courtyard.  It was only a half mile south of them, and most important, it had doors that looked strong enough to keep monsters out. 

It took the five of them who were healthy to close the large sliding stone door (it had been easier to open).  The cavernous octagonal building was a stadium or theater of some sort.  Stone steps (for seating) lined each wall, and there was a well in each corner of the room.  The floor of the building was covered with hexagonal tiles of stone (each big enough for a man to lie on).  They had symbols painted on them in a dark ink.  Some bore pictures. Some bore words in the old language. A few were blank.

They carefully examined the room until everyone was satisfied that they were alone.  The light from the giant windows in the ceiling was beginning to fade, and so they lit torches, and started a small fire as well.  They ate some food they’d brought and everyone felt a little better.

A thought

Around midnight, after everyone had calmed down and gathered their wits about them, Weijor had a thought.  “This is the biggest most important building in this whole sector.  The plays or events that were performed here must have been of interest to the wealthy and powerful.  They certainly didn’t surface at their servant’s homes and then walk here through the dirty streets of the overcity.”  So they began searching for secret passages.  Just before sunrise, Anreas lifted a tile which had a certain symbol on it.  Biian made a joke about the symbol (which I will not repeat as it would give away too much).  They began poking their daggers into the sand beneath it and they heard a ‘thunk’.  They dug in the sand and found a handle.  They lifted the trapdoor and were hit by a rush of cool air. 

They had discovered a never before entered tunnel to the unlooted homes of wealthy Soflomoans (or is it Soflomites?).

The Ancient City of Soflomo

They tied their ropes together.  Anreas, Weijor, Biian and one of the other men were lowered down the hole.  Two men stayed behind to pull them up later.

After dozens of feet, the narrow shaft opened into a beautiful chamber.  Three shafts of sunlight (perhaps reflected by mirrors) illuminated a single tree in a small garden a few yards from the center of the vast room.  Also, an eerie light emanated from panels on the roof.  Biian realized that he was being lowered towards a pool of fresh water surrounded by a circle of large bricks.  He swung gently back and forth, and jumped to the side of the small pool landing on solid stone.  The stone was luxurious (perhaps marble).  They stayed together and cautiously lit all of the fire bowls in the chamber (an outer ring of 40 bowls set about 10 feet apart, and an inner ring as well). 

The temperature was comfortable. The air was fresh.  With the light from the bowls and ceiling, they almost felt safe.  What shattered that feeling was the huge doorless arch about 30 feet high on the north most portion of the circular wall heading into the darkened center of the city, and the smaller arches on other parts of the wall leading in every direction.  They could be attacked from any angle at any moment by anything.

“Let’s lie down and get a few hours sleep”, joked Biian.  They all laughed for what seemed like a full minute.  Sleep was the last thing they were going to do.  They walked toward the small arch which was in the center of the small arches. 


“I suggest: two with torch and dagger, and two with dagger and shield.” Said Weijor. 

They were getting ready to enter the tunnel when they noticed something entering the room from beneath the grand arch.  It was a beast twice as tall as a man, moving on all fours, with slick moist skin like a frog or salamander colored bright red and black.  The creature had a mouth full of large sharp teeth and bearlike claws at the end of massive arms.  They huddled in the mouth of the tunnel and watched as it walked to the central pool. It took a long drink of water.  It looked around, and slowly walked back under the grand arch and into the darkness.

After walking about 20 paces into the darkness, they came upon a door in the left wall of the tunnel.  It was a common metal door with a glass lock.  Anreas smashed the lock and pushed open the door.

It was like stepping back in time.  There was a desk, and books.  Paintings of the ancients hung on the walls in wooden frames.  An empty pitcher and two glasses still sat on the table between two wooden chairs.  They rushed into the other room.  It was a bedroom cluttered with items.  They searched and found the object they were looking for: a wooden box with a metal lock.  Anreas suggested that they look around for the key, but Weijor’s axe turned the ancient box into kindling almost instantly.  It was a simple horde of coins and silver bracelets worth about 15j.  They divided the loot carefully.  Each one of them grabbed whatever trinkets and other items they could easily carry.  Then, they prepared to leave the room and head further down the tunnel. 

A stand off

A rat or ferret was standing in the tunnel near the door.  It didn’t try to enter the room because it was too large to fit through the door.  It stood at least two feet taller than the tallest man, and was fat.  Its legs were elongated and sickeningly thick. Its arms looked like the normal front feet of a rat (except, of course, much larger).  The rat stood there looking at them.

Biian said, “We’ve got to kill this rat so we can move further down this tunnel to find more gold.”

“Have you lost you f—king mind?” Weijor asked, “We should just stand here and wait for it to get bored and walk away.  Then we should escape this city with the gold we’ve got.  Clearly all of the legends are true and we don’t know what monstrosity we will encounter next.”

“I’m with Biian”, said the other guy, “There are four of us, and we have sharp weapons.  A few more hours of fighting in this hell and we could be rich for the rest of our lives. We may . . .”

“A few more hours,” Anreas interrupted loudly, “and we will surely be dead.  And if we survive to reach the surface, we’ll be an easy meal for the wolves!”

The mention of the wolves reminded them of the man wounded, the man missing and the man dead.  They resolved to frighten the rat by throwing a dagger at it.  If it held its ground they would wait it out.  Fortunately, despite its size, it still had a rodent’s instinct to run from trouble, and it scurried into the darkness. 

Escape

The made it back to the theater without incident.  When they opened the door to the outside world, they realized that in their wanderings they had lost their bearings somewhat (which is why I did not know the location of the theater).  They decided to simply head due south since that would surely lead them out of the city.

They came to an overgrown garden which was at least two miles wide, but only 4 or 500 yards long.  (The heavy scent of animal musk emanating from the place should have been a warning).  They decided to cross it rather than walk around it.  That was a huge mistake.  Biian, Weijor, Anreas and one of the men who had lowered them by rope were the only survivors of that crossing. 

When they finally climbed down from the wall and left the city of Soflomo, They began heading back to the farm (or any town which would let them rest).  As sunset neared, they were attacked by six well armed men just north of the town of Wuvalla.  They managed to repel the attack, but the rope guy was killed in the melee. 

Finally they reached the town, and Biian essentially never left it again.

After the story, Xilaf asked Bovard a few questions and they discussed the story for a while.  With great disappointment, Xilaf noticed that Derze, Wulffan, Bodlee, Urlee and Leehemm had all gone to sleep.  Xilaf and Bovard decided to stand watch until Xitus and Yanax returned. 

“Do you remember Jorxi?”  Bovard asked. 
“Yes from the inn.” Xilaf replied.
“She and her friend Cowwei were camped at a bend in the stream we just crossed.  They are about 4 miles east of here.  That’s where Xitus and Yanax went in such a hurry.  Judging from the message I received, it was worth the trip.”
“Are they coming back or staying with them ‘till daylight?”
“Tahno, Pahno and Wahno.  They are already on their way back.”

(Tahno is the word in the old language for kissing (but not light romantic kissing - there is a word for that too but it doesn’t rhyme). Pahno literally means hammer in its noun or verb forms.  Wahno means “till we meet again” or “see you later”)

Well before midnight, Xitus and Yanax strolled across the bridge and into camp.  After all their hiking and other activities, Xilaf had no confidence in their ability to stay awake.  So he and Bovard continued watching till midnight and then woke Wulffan and Urlee to watch until morning.  They didn’t wake Leehemm, because they didn’t want romance blossoming while they slept.  They were both a little jealous of Xitus and Yanax and didn’t want to be left out of all the love.

The next morning, they all rose with the sun, washed themselves with water from the stream, and again began walking north. They walked until late afternoon.  Xilaf was sick of all the walking and had already vowed a hundred times that he would buy a horse as soon as he could afford one.  They had twice come to branches in the road and they were following a stone path about eight feet wide going due north.  The path turned abruptly west.  “This is where we leave the road”, said Xilaf.  They walked north through the thin forest for about 100 yards and came to a beautiful grassy clearing. 

Xilaf was very proud that the spot was as he had remembered.  Five hundred yards across the clearing was a lake about a thousand yards wide (which was why the ancient engineers turned the road west and then back north again).  The clearing was a few hundred yards wide and had enough space for a large town, but two houses would be a good start.


© Copyright 2011 Jackson Xilaf (dcj4khr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808225-Secret-King-A-Four-Kingdoms-story-pt2