*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808388-The-Date-Change
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1808388
What happens when the date changes and you forget.
What happens when the date changes and you forget?
Well, let's see. I went to the dry cleaners and it was closed. I went to the grocery store and wrote a check for forty-one dollars. I found out later. The bank and the store were not happy. I also tried to drop off my kids. Which was fine except they couldn't get into the school. And no one was there to tell me that they couldn't stay there. I suppose that would indicate that I sucseeded in dropping them off. I also went to the resteraunt to meet my girl friends and catch up on the new gossip.I sat around spending several dollars on my own because they didn't show up. The groceries went into the refridgerator just fine. The shows I watch weren't on and I complained to the unresponcive tv, just about all day. It was interesting though learning about the life cycles of some slug in Brazil. But, it won't be beneficial to me at anytime in the future. I'll be more likely to talk about the mating rituals of the mongoose then the Brazilian slug. Speaking of which I don't even remember anything about the mating rituals of the mongoose family. Too bad, I might have gotten my husband more involved with that one. Oh well, I suppose that's life. I went and picked up the kids. Had to figure out why no one else was there to pick up theirs. And why my kids weren't coming out or waiting on me at least when I pulled up. I called My Mother to talk to her and she said my kids were at her house. I asked her why they were there and not in school where they belonged. My darling Mother simply replies "Honey, last time I checked they didn't have school on Christmas Eve. There's this thing called celebrating the birth of Christ. Some people like to have this time off to relax and spend time with family."  To which I replied in embarresment. "Where has the time gone? I thought it was November?" She gently rebuked me and stated with as much kindness as she ever did when I was frazzled and confused. "Honey, It's December. Yesterday was the last day of school before Christmas Break. It's okay Honey, It's been a long year and you'r simply having one of those days where you simply can't get your brain to cooperate with life. You get used to it after a while. It just takes some time to realize that time has finally caught up with you." I smiled as she soothed me with that rich homey southern accent. She could make it even more pronounced when she was trying to sooth a baby that wouldn't stop crying. Or in my case wouldn't stop fretting and worying because I forgot what month it was and left my kids in the cold as I went to decompress. So much for that. And so much for the time I was going to have with my husband tomarrow as well. Oh well, there's next year. As long as I keep better track of the date anyway!!
© Copyright 2011 Josephine Brie Winters (writernew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808388-The-Date-Change