*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808491-Brothers-of-a-War
Rated: 18+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1808491
Story about a single squad overseas who grow closer together as they fight on....
Chapter 1: Just Another Day At Work

It's quite, nothing but the sound of our humvee's motor and our tires riding on the rocky dusty road. So hot that sweat keeps dripping down our faces and falling onto our hands that are firmly gripped to our M-4's. The sun shining so bright that it glissens off the sand and rocks, almost blinding.

"Just another day at work, right Squad Leader Hollins" asked Private Jones
"I wouldn't say that, this is suppose to be a hostile area we are patrolling today" replies Hollins
"Man nobody will mess with the Wolf Pack I don't care who they are...." said Private Dill before being cut off
"Men , don't get to cocky we still have no idea what we're looking at today" orders Hollins

Suddenly it gets quite, the streets empty, not even a mouse on the road. Hollins looks around and slowly steps out of the passenger seat of the humvee, followed by Jones, Dill, and Mackachren. They form up in front of the vehicle to investigate the silence on the streets, while Dill's brother who got the nickname Pickle to avoid confusion between the two brothers, Johnson, and Perez stayed in the humvee. Perez being in the gunner seat makes his eye's wonder around looking for any activity. After not seeing any threats Hollins orders Jones and Dill back into the humvee. For difficulty seeing out of the humvee's windows, Hollins and Mackachren walk in front for a better view in case there is a hidden IED(Improvised Explosive Device).

After two hundred feet of walking they decide its nothing and start to move back towards their vehicle. Mackachren gets into his seat and Hollins goes to open his door when he hears something and turns around. All of a sudden a shot rings out down the lonely street and hits Hollins in the chest, piercing through his armor. After hitting the ground he feels himself getting dragged behind the humvee to safety.

"HOLLINS! YOU OK!...." yells Mackachren

He then opens Hollins' armor and to his amazement see's no blood. he feels around where the bullet went in and he starts laughing. The bullet hit a weak area of the armor and went through only to be stopped by a Steel Cigarette casing.

"Damn Squad Leader, you are one lucky son of a bitch, you know that" Mackachren says laughing
"I told you, rangers never die" Hollins laughs

Then they realize they hear no gun shots, Hollins gets up wondering why his men are not shooting the enemy, only to see that there is nothing to shoot at. The streets still empy, not a single soul out in the open.
© Copyright 2011 Izzy Talon (ithinkimjesus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808491-Brothers-of-a-War