*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808698-The-Truth
by bc4902
Rated: · Editorial · Opinion · #1808698
opinion about Iraq invasion
The Truth about the Invasion

Having a part of the Iraq invasion and as a regular citizen working in local government, I believe that officials at the highest levels of our government lied to the American people. The first piece of evidence that points to high level deceptiveness is the lack of the weapons of mass destruction (WMD). A second and more damning testament includes the details surrounding the disclosure of the identity of CIA operative Valerie Plame. President George W. Bush declared WMD threats to be the purpose for invasion in his State of the Union Address.

The US forces overran the Iraqi defenses in 13 days. US forces took down Saddam Hussein and his Iraqi Republican Guard and occupied the country following the April 21st, 2003 invasion. Since the occupation began, US forces have scoured the Iraqi country side with the best technology in the world. After two trillion federal dollars in spending, all the destruction and carnage, and nine years later, the US and coalition forces found no ‘weapons of mass destruction.’

In the months leading up to the invasion, intelligence services gathered information about materials acquired by Iraq and made the case of the Iraqi regime attempting to assemble a nuclear weapon. Valerie Plame found evidence of no nuclear program from Iraq’s nuclear scientists and contacts within the Iraqi government. Her husband, Ambassador Joe Wilson performed a fact finding mission to Niger, and found no evidence of a huge shipment of weapons grade uranium sold to Iraq. Despite the findings, President George W. Bush used those accusations in his State of the Union address leading to the invasion.

When you examine the ugly truth, high level government officials all the way up the chain lied to the American people and started a war without cause. Don’t forget that.
© Copyright 2011 bc4902 (bc4903 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808698-The-Truth