*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808702-The-Chronicles-of-Lj-Stevans-Part-9
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1808702
A Chronicle of a folk hero in his world set in a semi blog stlye.
                                                                               Part 9. The Liberation of Gastings

                                                                                                                                                            By David VanCura



    Forgive my haste everyone, this is John Simmons, I wrote in asking L.J. for help with our Towns problems. My motives for this post is for multiple reasons. First and foremost thanks to L.J. Stevans and his allies, Gastings is free once again. His response to my plea was swift, he and his group of hero's rode into town on a mission and they came through....big time. My other reasons for this post are as follows. After meeting with L.J. And riding with him to Bethany's compound and confronting her we were separated. I don't know where he is or if he even made it home but both Bethany and her Husband now lay dead and I do not know how. So until I can determine what happened in the aftermath of our victory I will share with you all the part of the story I witnessed.

It was only a mere 6 hours when the hero that is L.J. Stevans arrived in town with his band of friends. After meeting the legend himself, we were quick to make our way to the compound. Upon meeting L.J. We shook hands and the first thing I noticed is the grip he has, strong, firm yet not intimidating, which really can also be used to describe not only his appearance but his demeanor as well. He was slightly above average height maybe 6”1, a slender yet well toned man to be sure and most certainly one of the most youthful looking men over the age of 50 I have ever met. Only small touches of Grey accented his dark brown hair and short pointed beard. He looked as he were plucked straight from a classic adventure movie or off the cover of a book about heroic deeds and the such. He carried himself with a classic warriors grace, he moved agilely and with purpose. With him, at his side was a man quickly introduced to me and referred to as Jack which I can only assume was the very rarely seen Jack Hundley, L.J.'s mentor. He did not follow us going forward, he was there as a tactical adviser I believe and from the look of him, one would understand as to why. It's not that he appeared sickly …... just well aged. After more quick introductions to and from our various accompany men and a quick yet detailed formulated plan, we and about 60 friends, were off.

From the moment we approached the A.M.D.S compound L.J. was all business and filled with purpose. The compound was well guarded but even with my plea being telegraphed to the public we still had the element of surprise as our ally. It would prove most beneficial, L.J. was adamant about not taking lives of the guards and the various security that dotted the grounds. He explained that most of the men were more than likely recruited from our and a mixture of local towns from the region and were only employed by the Family due to a lack of options and there for would not hold much loyalty to their employers. As it turns out he was right, at least with the first 25 or so foes we encountered, they hardly put up a fight, we subdued them and later, after questioning they would be released. The next 15 or so men however would not be so accommodating, they fought and due to our ambush style tactics were defeated with minimal damage to our group. As we approached the central operating center of the compound, Bethany made her emergence. She stood before us in a flowing dark colored dress with a plunging neckline that emphasized rather curvy if elder figure. She stood like a statue her dark hair matched her cobalt black glinting eyes. I wonder if this was the first time she had lain eyes on her brother in decades, I didn't have the chance to ask because as quickly as she appeared , fighting erupted in a side hallways and she was gone. L.J., without a word gave chase as I joined my men to quell the latest skirmish that arose. Within a half and hour the battle was ours. We found the cooling bodies of Bethany and Desmond in our search of the grounds and a small blood trail leading out a window which disappeared completely leading away from the building. Two things were known to me at this time L.J. was gone and he was hurt if not too badly.

Upon returning to our Town Jack and the rest of L.J.'s men had slipped off and we were left to rebuild Gastings as we saw fit.

L.J. If you are out there just know you have my deepest thanks, I can only hope you are not too badly injured. Lastly, if you EVER need help call upon Gastings and we will be at your side.

                                      Thank You My Friend,
                                            John Simmons.
----------------POSTED 3 HOURS LATER--------------

Hello Friends,

I am writing you all with a heavy heart, before I get into why let me explain to John and everyone else, but most importantly to you Father why I am now down a sibling.

“You have no idea just how fortunate you are Logan, you would already be long dead if Father had not instructed us otherwise“ Bethany calmly stated. Upon entering her office I was slashed lightly in the arm from her dagger as she waited for me off to the side, so hearing that caught me off guard. She could have killed me true enough but still I was attacked and to hear that my life was being spared by my Father of all people impacted me deeper than any weapon could have. Also it was the first time in at least 30 years I had heard my first name spoken aloud, and that was also jarring coming from my sisters lips. Before I could ask why my Father would order something so strange, I was caught off guard by a scream of anger and fear from my sister followed by a loud noise and a series of reflexive movements so fast it would take me many moments to comprehend what had just played out.

“Desmond, fool no.” was all I heard my sister bellow at her husband sneaking up behind me. At that, instinctively I ducked and turned my body toward the simultaneously occurring loud bang coming from the pistol in Desmond's hand. As I turned, my hand went to my belt where my trusted silver dagger clung to my side, my body moving quickly to the floor as my hand flung the dagger in the exact direction as the gunshot. I lay still on the ground for several seconds with my eyes shut tight in anticipation for the next gunshot that would assuredly end my time in this world. It never came. When I opened my eyes, I could only then process the quick series of events that just happened. Events that I knew would change the 40 year plus game with my Family into a far more serious one,

My eyes opened and saw the flowing trail of blood coming towards me, it was only moving my eyes up would I find them locking with my Sisters now lifeless gaze. The shot intended for me caught her directly in the heart. No matter how small a target it may have been, it was struck due to a warning she gave me. I then looked to my right side where the crumpled body of her husband Desmond now lay in the corner, my rarely battle used dagger protruding from his chest. I quickly removed my blade and scrambled out the near open window. It was only then that I could tend to my wounded arm. Instinct alone now drove me. I doubled back to the Town, collected Jack and gave the word to his men to disperse. A word of goodbye to John was the last thing on my mind, fore I knew I had more pressing things to concern myself with.

The ride back to my home was a hectic one for my mind. I was now coming to grips with what had just transpired and just what the meaning of these events were. First Bethany could have taken my life only to explain my Fathers wishes were to the contrary. Then before any explanations of her words could be given she, due to her cry of warning, simultaneously saved my life and substituted it with her own. Now not only do I not have any answers I was seeking, both Bethany and Desmond lay dead, one from my very hand. I do not like taking life, anyone's life. I do not feel I am so important in this world that I should have the power to take lives as I see fit. On a deeper note, no matter the angst she or anyone else in the Family may have caused me over the years, Bethany was still my Sister. Her death, even though not perpetrated by my hand, will stick with me for some time no doubt.

I am glad I could be of assistance to you John and to the community of Gastings and as much as I would like to help you in the long rebuilding process your home will now go through, there are now bigger things on the horizon.

To you Father, I want you to know that killing anyone in this Family was never my intent, except you of course. I know no doubt you are quite displeased that your daughter now lay dead, but it was by the hand of her husband not my own. You know my words can only ring with truth and it is important for you to know that I do feel loss in my heart. Why would you want me alive Father? I need to know and since Bethany can no longer provide me with the answers I seek, I must turn my efforts to the rest of the Family. I can only hope it is you I next run into Father. My heart can not take the pain of killing another soul poisoned by your devious plans. My answers will be met and this game will come an end this I promise you Father.

                              L.J. Stevans
---------------POSTED 1 HOUR LATER---------------

To my son L.J.,

You have made a deathly error, my son. The lines are now drawn Logan, my good graces to you are a now no more. Prepare for the pain of my wrath, a side of me you have not seen since the day I last laid eyes on you. After I get from you that which we need, I will happily answer your questions.....right before I reunite you with that deceitful whore you call your Mother.

                                        Logan Jeffery Stevans Sr.
© Copyright 2011 David VanCura (davidvancura at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808702-The-Chronicles-of-Lj-Stevans-Part-9