*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808735-Dwarves
Rated: · Other · Philosophy · #1808735
A story of imagination, and how it never dies but only changes as you grow older.
The reflection of the tree was clearly painted against the still shallow pond resting in the grass. Yellow leaves scattered the ground, rustling very lightly with the warm autumn winds. In the background, other trees stood behind the misty fog that blanketed the forest. He looked out as far as he could see but his vision stopped only about a hundred yards forward.

“My parents used to come down here with me at night.” A woman’s voice came from behind him. It was Alice. She was walking towards him looking at the surroundings. “I used to climb that tree and pretend that I was going to live out here, and that would be my house.”  She pointed at the large tree in the center. “My dad used to tell me stories of little dwarves living in it that would come out at night and steal the nuts from peoples houses. It’s funny what children can believe huh?” She said giggling as she looked at him with her light blue eyes.

“Well, cant you still believe?” Matthew said questioning her comment.

“You can, but it isn’t the same. When my dad used to tell me that, an excitement would run through me, and I would feel adventurous in this world. But now, no matter how hard I try to believe in this stuff, it feels artificial. You can’t trick yourself into imagination”

He looked over at the tree and scanned it up and down. “I bet your dad was right.” She looked at him puzzlingly. “I bet little dwarves do live in that tree that steal bread from the houses.” He started walking over to the tree, waving his hand to have her follow.

They walked along the wet grass, soaking their shoes in water, and then came to the large trunk in front of them. The thick roots of the tree spread out, burying themselves in the soil. Matthew jumped up and grabbed a branch, pulling himself up to a seated position.

“Here, grab my hand.” He said reaching his hand down to Alice. She grasped it firmly, and then did a little hop as he did most of the work pulling her up to where he was sitting.

They sat on the branch, holding one above for balance.

“So, where are the dwarves?” She said, half jokingly.

“Over there.” He pointing to a house in the distance.

On the window a squirrel was sitting, peaking into the house cautiously with its little paws up against its chest. Finally after a moment or two, it jumped into the house and was out of site.

“Where is..”

“Shh, just wait.” He said, focusing in on the window. Then the squirrel reappeared but this time it had something hanging from its mouth.

“What is that in it’s mouth?” She asked as she stared at the squirrel. It started running towards their direction, hopping over the leaves and sticks laid across the ground. It came close to them but before it reached them it jumped into one of the small holes of the tree.

Both of them hopped down, and peered into the hole. Inside was a family of squirrels feasting on the nuts.

“There is your dwarves.”



© Copyright 2011 Scriptking (wilprim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808735-Dwarves