*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808802-Fibonacci
by Dave
Rated: E · Poetry · Nature · #1808802
An elegant melding of poetry with mathmatics.
Math
plus
poet
will yield an
intriguing form that
evokes the elegant beauty
of a spiraling nautilus shell in Nature's realm.

*Star*   *Star*   *Star*   *Star*   *Star*


Author’s note: Since April happens to be Math Awareness Month as well as National Poetry Month, it's not surprising that some innovative nerd would devise a way to link the two disciplines.

A Fibonacci poem, a.k.a. "Fib," is a multiple-line verse based on the mathematical sequence known as the Fibonacci number The sequence, an evolution from 12th century Sanskrit poetry, begins with zero followed by one and proceeds with each following number being the total of the preceding two numbers. Thus, the first line of the poem has one syllable, the second line has one syllable, the third line has two syllables, the fourth line three syllables, the fifth line five syllables, the sixth line eight syllables, the seventh line thirteen syllables, and so on as far as you care to take it.

This intriguing design stirred me to write the little tribute above.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65355932@N05/5979535730/

*Star*   *Star*   *Star*   *Star*   *Star*


Merit Badge in Attention to Detail
[Click For More Info]

I was so impressed with this piece that I figured it couldn't go without a merit badge!


© Copyright 2011 Dave (drschneider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808802-Fibonacci