*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809170-The-Price-of-Immortality
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Drama · #1809170
A discussion between two brothers about their immortality and sacrifices made.
Arthur held tight to his brother's withered hand, stroking it gently though his own was still as supple and young as it was in his twenties. He swallowed, lifting the wrinkled appendage to his lips and bestowing a kiss.

Edwin Marcus lay on his death bed, eighty-seven years old. His milky blue eyes gazing into the clear blue of his older brother - the brother that despite his age, still appeared to be as young as at least twenty-six.

"Why did you do it?" Arthur asked Edwin, releasing his hand to cross arms over his chest. He was clothed in a fine suit jacket with a dress shirt beneath, while Edwin lay in a thin cloth gown. Arthur turned his cold shoulder to his brother, gazing out the window at the gardeners working below, working to make the property lovely so that the wake could be held once Edwin passed. Arthur loved his brother, he even moved him into his home when the younger of the two got too old and feeble to care for himself any longer.

"It's not as if I could help it." Edwin spewed, sitting up on the bed and nearly ripping the IV from his arm as well as the tubes for oxygen.

"Stop it!" Arthur yelled, "You're going to hurt yourself! And I'm certain you could have helped falling in love with her." The older of the two appeared hurt. "I'm Ninety-five years old and I still look like a young man. I have to watch my younger brother wither into a shell and die before my eyes. Do you have any idea how that makes me feel? We grew up together for godsakes..." Arthur sighed, lifting a hand and pressing it to his mouth as he inhaled sharply through his nose.

Tears formed on the edges of Edwin's aged eyes, "How come it always has to be about you, Arthur?" This made Arthur turn from his post at the window, though opening his mouth in protest. "No, just listen to me." Edwin began again, his voice defensive and bordering on hostile.

"I loved Marie and I still do even though she is gone. I had to watch her wither and die just the same. I know exactly how you feel." He breathed in a sigh, hand shaking as he settled his hunched back on the pillow once more. "It's always about you..."

Arthur sighed as well, turning back to his younger brother. "I'm sorry, Edwin. But you can see why I'm upset, can't you?"

Edwin nodded, "I know the pact that we made all those years ago." His hands started to shake once more, as if afraid to even dredge up the past. "Forever young, as long as you don't fall in love. That's what the woman said."

Arthur nodded, "That is indeed what she said. She promised to give us immortality, as long as we never fell in love. For that reason, I've never gotten close to any woman, merely had casual flings." The older man's breath was near ragged as he reached a hand down to the arm of his chair, lowering himself into a seat. "How could you be so foolish. You signed your death certificate when you gave that woman those three little words." He all but growled.

"Her name is Marie!" Edwin sat up again, looking as if he could tear his brother's throat out. "Was Marie...and I loved her with all of my heart and soul. She gave me the most beautiful children I could have ever asked for and loved me with all of her heart. My years were well spent."

Arthur sighed once more, "I tried to warn you, Edwin, that she would take your immortality. But you didn't listen."

Edwin shook his head, "No, you're not listening, Arthur. What good is being immortal if you can't love anyone? Find your soulmate and be happy? What good is it to be alone and looking young?" Gripping the sheets, he brought them further up his chest. "I'm tired, Arthur. Please leave me be."

Arthur nodded his head, getting up and kissing his brother's head, "I love you." Was said softly to his skin, "I love you too." Edwin replied, Arthur tucking him in and leaving the room.

Morning seemed to have come quickly, but something in the house felt different, cold somehow. Even though the heat of early morning summer was already beating down outside. Arthur lifted himself from bed to throw on a robe and slippers, trudging to his brother's room to check on him. The door even seemed to open at a slower pace than Arthur had meant it to, leaving it to creak.

"Good morning." He uttered, drifting to the drapes to throw them open so that light would fall across his brother, giving him an angelic glow on otherwise pale and withered skin.

"Edwin?" Arthur asked, placing a hand on the other man's hand only to find it cold, choking on a gasp in his throat and a lump that was hard to swallow. Tears formed. He knew it was coming, he just didn't know it would be the very next day. Each day drew closer and closer to his brother's demise, but it was still a hard thing to accept.

He leaned, kissing his sibling on the head. "You're with Marie now," he uttered, squeezing his eyes tight..."You're with her now."


(904 words. I know, it's not a contest, but I felt like putting the word count. ^^)
© Copyright 2011 Jessica Manion (smokincute at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809170-The-Price-of-Immortality