*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809357-You-Just-Never-Know
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1809357
Can love happen when you least expect it?
Today was about to spiral downward for Ashli. She knew it the moment she hung up the phone. Her brother, Mitchell had called and wanted her to meet him for lunch. Ashli and Mitchell were very close and she loved her brother very much, but with him being four years younger than her, he depended on her a lot. If he needed a loan to tide him over, he came to her. Whenever some girl he thought was The One, and there had been a few, would turn out not to be, he wanted her to make it all better. With Mitchell, there was always something going on. She just couldn't figure out why though. Mitchell was a smart and intelligent man. He wasn't lacking in the looks department either! He had a good heart and would do whatever he could to help anyone. But for some reason he just couldn't or possibly wouldn't get it together for himself.


Ashli graduated with a major in English because she'd wanted to teach. She'd also been interested in management as well so she had decided to take some online courses and got a degree in Business Management. At some point, she changed her mind about teaching and decided to become a proprietor. Now Ashli was the proud owner of a bookstore named "Books Are Red." The inside of her bookstore was basically red. Red bookshelves and red counters. The area where customers went to read or get on their laptops had red chairs and tables. Even the plastic bags that customers carried their purchased items were red, so the homophone with the words worked perfectly. Ashli's bookstore did very well and she was pleased and thankful. As far as the business part of her life, things were fine. On the other hand, her love life was nothing to write home about. She'd been in a previous relationship that lasted two years. She had let herself be talked into it because everyone thought the person was so sweet and that she should stop being so picky. She second guessed herself and decided to get involved. It didn't work out because as time progressed, it was obvious that they didn't want the same things in life and here she was, alone.

Ashli was a very attractive woman, slanted brown eyes, that matched her cinnamon brown skin and she wore her medium brown hair long. And she could type too! She wasn't just another pretty face, she was smart and intelligent as well. It wasn't that she couldn't meet anyone, men came into her store all the time. She just hadn't met that someone she wanted to be in another relationship with. She'd dated on occasion, sometimes more than once with the same person. But then they would like her more than she liked them and would want more than just a friendship. Ashli was twenty eight years old and was tired of investing time in just dating though she'd dated some nice guys. There was a special place in Ashli's heart for that special guy, the man of her dreams, if you will, and she just hadn't met anyone that touched that special place yet. She wanted to be in a monogamous relationship with her special person, her soul mate that she believed that God would bless her with and she was willing to wait.

Mitchell had said to meet him at 'Mary's Kitchen'. It was a popular restaurant, the food was fantastic and she was hungry. But Ashli doubted she'd even have an appetite by the time Mitchell finished with her. As soon as she walked inside the restaurant, she heard her name called. She turned to see her brother waving her over. While walking to the table Mitchell had gotten for them, she began asking herself, not for the first, second,or third time, where was his head at? If she had told anyone in that restaurant how her brother was, they would call her a liar to her face! No one could tell by looking at him.

"Hey Sis!" Mitchell said and gave her a big hug and kiss on the cheek.

"Hey yourself!" Ashli said as she returned the affection. "What's up? You sounded urgent this morning." she said as they sat down. Just before Mitchell answered, the waitress came to take their orders.

"Can you give us a little more time, please?" Mitchell smiled at the waitress. "There's another person joining us." The waitress answered and smiled back at Mitchell before leaving the table.To Ashli, the waitress looked like she wanted to be his order. Then Ashli frowned and turned questioning eyes to her brother.

"Another person? You never said anything about someone else joining us."

Ashli was thinking that Mitchell had another girl he wanted her to meet. He probably wanted Ashli to pay for her lunch too!

"Mitchell, not another girlfriend!"

"Hold up, Ashli. Actually it's someone I'm pretty sure you'd like to meet!"

Ashli's mouth opened but no words came out. She was speechless! She was thinking who in the world could Mitchell have here to meet her? Someone from the club where he worked? No, not even Mitchell would have the audacity to do that!

Mitchell saw from the expression on her face, his sister was not impressed.

"Just listen, please!" Mitchell said. Ashli couldn't have said anything anyway!

"Okay, you know Paul Raleigh, the author, right?"

Paul Raleigh was an inspirational writer and was well known for his best selling books. His new book series "Never Give Up" had just been published and was doing well in bookstores everywhere, including hers. Finally, Ashli heard herself talking.

"Yes Mitchell, I know exactly who he is. In fact, I have been trying for over a month to be able to get in touch with his people to schedule a book signing. It's been impossible!"

Ashli's thoughts went to what she knew about Paul Raleigh. He was single and from what she'd gathered, he was a strong spiritual man that had a kind, caring heart and spirit. She'd heard him speak many times and he struck her as being an honest and sincere person. She liked his voice and the way he laughed.

"Well, your brother met him and he's joining us in about ten minutes." Mitchell grinned, looking very pleased with himself.

"What are you talking about? You're telling me that you actually met Paul Raleigh?" Ashli asked skeptically.

He leaned back and smiled. "It's a small world. A friend asked me to go to a wedding with her. I told you about it, well, the person who got married was Paul Raleigh's literary agent. He was a guest, I got to meet and talk with him and here we are."

Ashli was in shock. She vaguely remembered Mitchell saying something about a wedding sometime back. "I do remember. You told me that you were going with someone you'd met and I teased you about her being The One and that she had planned a heck of a first date."


"Yep, that's the one." Mitchell answered. "No pun intended!"

"If this is some kind of joke, you'll be sitting here by yourself." Ashli threatened.

"Well if it is, he has legs and he just walked in." Mitchell nodded toward the door.

She froze and couldn't move. She still had a hard time believing it. Mitchell called Paul Raleigh over to the table. She smelled his cologne before she saw him.

"If he's anything like he smells, Lord help me!" Ashli thought before she raised her eyes and smiled as he finished greeting Mitchell and was turning toward her.

Mitchell introduced them. "Mr Raleigh, I'd like you to meet my sister, Ashli Walters. Ashli, this is Paul Raleigh."

Ashli was about to stand, but he touched her shoulder gently. "No please don't get up. Hello, it is a pleasure to meet you!" He smiled. The voice she liked was actually speaking to her! She felt a warmth start to spread through her starting where his strong hand had touched. Paul reached for her hand as their eyes met, and he felt himself drawn to her warm brown eyes. He sat down in the chair next to hers before he let go of her hand. He was thinking that this could turn out to be a very nice luncheon indeed.

She was speechless again! "Why don't you just stop talking period." She told herself. She could see in her mind the photo of him on the back cover of his book and thought that he was even more handsome in person if possible! His skin was like her favorite Ghiradelli chocolate. His eyes were the color of sienna, so warm and dark.

"Hello, it is a pleasure to meet you too!" She could talk again!

"Mitchell told me a little about your bookstore and I'd like to hear more." He said.

By this time the waitress came back and Ashli noticed how hard the waitress was looking at both men. Ashli knew that she couldn't decide whose order she wanted to be now!

Finally the food orders were taken and brought to their table. Ashli realized that she had been right about not having an appetite, but it had nothing to do with Mitchell. Her stomach was so filled with the warm and fuzzies, she had no room for food! For the next couple of hours, good conversation and an enjoyable meal took place. Mitchell finished eating first and actually offered to pay the tab. She almost fainted. But Paul, he'd ask her to call him, wouldn't hear of it and said he'd take care of it. Of course, there was no argument from Mitchell and shortly, he said his goodbyes and left.

"You didn't eat all of your food. Was there a problem with it?" Paul asked.

"Oh no, the food is always really good. I'm just not as hungry as I thought I was." That's was an understatement.

"Do you have to leave now too?" He asked

"I really should get back to the bookstore." She said reluctantly. She really didn't want to leave. "I have enjoyed our lunch and conversation so much. Thank you."

"So have I and would love to continue our conversation and talk about the book signing as well."

Ashli was very pleased to hear that. "Yes, most definitely! When would be a good time for you?"

"Well, if I won't have to fight anyone, I'd love to discuss it over dinner." Paul said teasingly. He was very serious about wanting to see Ashli again. He was very attracted to her. He'd be lying if he said it had nothing to do with the physical, she was a very pretty lady, but she had a personality to die for and her smile could melt the hardest of hearts. He just knew that he wanted to get to know her better.


Ashli laughed. "Ali, put away your gloves. You're safe!"

Paul then rubbed his hand across his forehead. "Whew!" He exclaimed.

They laughed and it felt so good to her. She liked his laugh even more in person!

"Maybe we could go dancing afterwards. That is, if you can dance." He said playfully and then stood up and proceeded to do a dance step.

Ashli threw her head back and laughed some more. "That's all you got? This is gonna be fun!"

They made plans for the coming weekend and Paul got Ashli's number so that he could call her. They finally parted and Ashli smiled as she headed to the bookstore. She was thinking that she had to thank Mitchell as surprising as that was. She was really looking forward to her and Paul getting to know each other. From what she could tell, he was funny, easy to talk to and a very nice guy. Just the thought of him brought a smile to her face. She was willing to see if he could touch that special place in her heart. This time she was making her own decision and prayed it was a good one. Suddenly another thought came to her. This morning she was ready to write today off. Her smile was now turning into a grin. It just goes to show, you just never know.




© Copyright 2011 Ms.Writeaway (sherb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809357-You-Just-Never-Know