*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809663-Red-Snow-Fall
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1809663
Getting lost in the woods can be deadly, wildly deadly. My first story.
I was lost in the depths of a pine forest growing weary with each step. As I stopped to rest I notice I did not know where I was going nor did I really know where I came from. I also did not know if I was traveling in a straight path or going in circles.

The blowing breeze was swirling in the trees all around me. There was dust of the fallen ice, rising like mini tornadoes in the rushing air. Then falling again like fresh snow. The only noise was a hollow sound of the wind, ever so slightly changing pitch between gusts. As it filled the pines, it blew briskly by making its hollow shrieking sound trying to escape. The air seemed to get colder within seconds as the day seemed to be closing. Then all of a sudden, to my left I heard movement in the distance. I did not see anything as I looked in the direction of the sound. I hoped it was not what I feared. There were stories of wolf attacks around here. The fear had gripped me. I now felt my heart racing a little faster inside of my chest. Each beat increasing in strength, and maybe eventually, it would just pop right out and fall lifeless in front of me. It had occasionally skipped one beat, which made me feel sick every time it did. I noticed my respiration increasing nearly double than what it was before as I started to move on, knowing I could not stay to long in one place.

As I continued to walk, I heard it from behind, the very sound that I did not want to hear. A howl that made me freeze in the very spot I know stood wandering what to do. Then at that moment, I began to feel like I was being watched. I turned my head to look behind me to find I was being followed, stalked. Following me was a single wolf. It had light grey and black fur speckled like salt on pepper all over its body. It continued to slowly walk towards me, closer, ever so closer, never taking its eyes off me. Its paws were big, oversized and made tracks in the fresh snow of the open path. Its gazed upon me was fearless. I could feel its eyes, ruby red and full of rage, burning through my very being.

I took off in a sprint in the direction I had been walking. As I came over the hill, a second wolf came to my right. I turned slightly to the left so as to not run right into him. I looked over my shoulder to see the two wolves, no make that three wolves now following me. Strange though, why are they just following me. Why have they not attracted. It seemed as if they kept their distance, not gaining or falling behind as they trailed me. I moved faster. Soon I found myself running faster and faster, my legs now feeling like they were on fire. I know started to feel it harder to breath from the combination of the cold and the high elevation.

Out of the corner of my eye in my peripheral vision, I saw something move. It came from the shadows of the unknown, under the cut of tree lining, another wolf pushing me to know turn right almost causing me to collide with a pine tree.

I found myself now going down a hill. I stumbled and fell flat on my face. I rolled over and over the rest of the way down the hill. Finally, not a first realizing it, I found myself at the bottom of the hill. Struggling to get up, I heard a howl from the top of the hill. I turn to get my bearings and realized, I had no way out but the way I had came. I turned in circles trying to think, still breathing heavy. Sweat almost freezing as it ran down my forehead. I did not see any of my stalkers. Then it happened, what had not been there, was now all around me, appearing like ghost. My pursuers reappeared and brought their friends. Teeth buck, giant, white and yellow like ivory encircled me above me. It was all a trap. There was no way to escape, no way out. They had let me here. I let out a deep sigh, felt a knot in my stomach and slowly closed my eyes as I fell to my knees.
© Copyright 2011 Donald M. McCoy (dennismccoy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809663-Red-Snow-Fall