*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809771-The-Search-Party
by Ally
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1809771
a search team prepares to go into the debris of the world trade Center
The Search Party

By
Paul S Edwards


September 11 2001

New York City



Meradith stood on Lower Manhattan, staring at what was once the site of the world Trade Center. She watched the events unfolding in front of her, along with her colleagues from The Department, with a feeling of heartfelt sorrow, as the people of New York did their utmost to look for survivors. Police, paramedics, and the fire department worked their way through the dust and rubble, filled with a range of emotions. Relief when they found someone alive, and sadness and anger when they found someone who wasn't.

Meradith watched the lost souls, as the wandered through the wreckage, caked in dust and blood. She knew the dead would number in the thousands, which was why her boss had been ere in person. He believed it was his duty to be here. Soon it would be Meradith's turn to enter the site, and help in the search.

Her boss, Jeff, was giving a speech to his colleagues, of Which Meradith was barely listeningto. It was difficult to concentrate with what what she was seeing around her. Jeff had assured that every rule would be bent as far as the powers that be allowed in order to help people.

Meredith felt an arm on her shoulder. She looked around and saw Jeff staring at her. 'Are you okay?' he asked.

'Of course not,'  Meredith replied.

'Stay with me,' Jeff replied.

Meredith and Jeff entered Ground Zero, unnoticed by emergency services, who had their own problems. As she and her colleagues traversed further, the first thing that hit her was the smell. It was the smell of fire and dust. It was the stench of death. She wanted to turn back, but she knew she had to go on. Through the dust, voices could be heard crying out, some for help, some for names, others in pain.

As time passed, Meradith's group had grown. They had encountered many lost wandering souls , and Jeff had asked them to follow hi to safety, and they obliged, unquestioning, trusting in him implicitly. Before long the group had reached triple figures, and comprised of multiple nationalities. All through the search, Meradith resisted the urge to cry. There was no time for that now.

After an hour, Meredith came upon a girl of around ten years old. She was crying. Meredith bent don to talk to her.

'Hi, I'm Meradith, what's your name?'

'I'm Jane,' the girl said, 'My Mom's hurt,' she added, pointing to a woman next to her, covered in dust. 'Is she going to be okay?' Jane asked.

Meredith looked up at Jeff, who nodded. 'Yes,' she said.

The girl smiled slightly. 'You talk funny,' she said.

'Ah that's because I'm from a long way away,' Meradith said, smiling back.

'Do I have to come with you, now?' Jane asked.

'Yes,' Meradith replied. She picked the girl up and proceeded to carry her, and began to walk away. As she did so, she could hear a woman's voice crying hysterically. She knew the mother had regained conscious, and would now be holding onto the body of her dead child. Meredith told Jane not to look back. There were times when Meredith hated her job. She had experienced death on many occasions, including her own. That was the point of the department. To shepard the lost souls of the dead to the afterlife they deserved. She had never encountered death on this scale before. Meradith clutched Jane tightly to her, and finally began to cry.
© Copyright 2011 Ally (wearesquirrel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809771-The-Search-Party