*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809823-91111-Where-have-all-the-people-Gone
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Tribute · #1809823
From the Dairies of a non-mad man with a Wine Hangover
September 11th 2011 Where have all the people gone
From the Dairies of a non-mad man with a Wine Hangover

Corresponding with a friend of mine via email this morning she explained to me that this was going to be a melancholy day for her. You see she was watching a 911 Memorial and Paul Simon had sung;
“Sounds of Silence”
Hello Darkness my old Friend
It stopped me in my tracks, what have I done to remember these souls who …. While not casualties of war they were victims of evil, I’ve heard all the conspiracy theories and I have no opinion of those and that is not what this is about, but it’s the memorial of people. People who were unwitting victims, whether Jet Passengers, working at their jobs, first responders, or families left behind; I have decided that we all, all citizens of this world should be victims also.
Flights out of International Airports surely carried more than American Citizens. The Twin Towers where picked not because of an easy target but because they were considered the Financial Center of the World where Corporations from all over the World had offices and their employees would be representative of this very fact.
These thoughts rolling through this head formed a mission; I had to see what was happening in my little town. I had to find where the people where and what they were doing.
Onto my bicycle with the first stop being my own neighborhood, a few doors down one of my neighbors was outside playing with his son of 5 years old. Cary is a fine man barely in his thirties, a pastor of a church so poor that everyone meets in his house. Spiritual, tolerant, and loving; a man of strength wrapped around caring. I explained my mission and he wished me well.

In my mind quite the memorial.

Next it’s the park which just yesterday was alive with a yearly local event called EcoFest, likeminded people who are concerned about the environment, coming together with manufactures and small businesses who feel the same. A mixture of people of all races and nationalities, not bad for a small community; you see we have two colleges and one university, students and teachers from all over the world. I saw couples of different races arriving together holding hands, I saw kids color blind just playing with friends. I heard singers, singing in languages I couldn’t understand.

In my mind; quite the memorial.

But today being a Sunday; the park was much tamer I slowly rode through the playground and watched a young father push is three children on the swings, and every time he tried to stop, it was yells of “Oh Daddy please” with a smile he continued. I saw wheelchairs and strollers and at least four picnic lunches, families together with love, all different colors just as the artist envisioned.

In my mind; quite the memorial.

Next a ride through the Hospital, parking lot full of friends and family visiting loved ones. Some I’m sure are on their last breath but not alone will they be, and around to the ER where lives will be saved. I take time to pray for them all, People in and out, comfort they bring carrying hope as they leave.

In my mind; quite the memorial.

Now it’s to the University while it’s a Sunday and no classes it doesn’t mean it’s closed. I saw two young girls taking photos of the landscape, laughs and giggles they display. By the dorms I catch a group of young men going different ways, fist bumps and hugs but what I noticed was the nationalities and different skin. It doesn’t matter to them or to me.

In my mind; quite the memorial.

Now the river trail for bikes and running, I fall into line with those who understand the better they take care of themselves the longer they’ll be around for those they love. I see other bikers, lovers hand in hand, Mothers pushing strollers setting in motion for these babies a life of good habits. Dogs being walked must have been a dozen.

In my mind; quite the memorial.

I have decided on some truths during this mission;
God created mankind, all of us we are no different. In his image we were created man and woman. He made Asian, African, and Middle Eastern, he made European, Native American and Aboriginal. He made us all in his Image.
This attack on the Twin Towers while carried out by terrorist; evil was their sponser.
In my mind to fight this battle lets use love, tolerance, understanding and pure joy as our ammunition. I left any hate I had on this trail through my city; no more will it invade my heart it is a decision that I have made. No more labels no more stereotypes. Just love for you and I.

In my mind; quite the memorial.
© Copyright 2011 Benjamin Frederick (bfmaness at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809823-91111-Where-have-all-the-people-Gone