*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1810093-Elusive-Flame
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Fantasy · #1810093
An inept, insecure, friendless magician finds self-confidence. Rough draft.
Light the candle. That's all Ackerly had to do. Light the candle using a simple illuminating spell. But he couldn't. The longer he stared at the wick, the more he chewed his fingernails. For an hour he'd been sitting in his room, staring at the tapered candle jammed into the brass stick and chewing nails down to the quick.

Light the candle. Ackerly rubbed his eyes and stared at the wick. He repeated the spell. The candle remained unlit.

"I can't." Ackerly hung his head in his hands. "It's not working."

Master was by the window, reading a book.

"It will, you have to keep trying."

"I've been trying Master, there's too much noise."

"Your ears are full of Eems. Don't listen to them."

Ackerly spit another fingernail into the fireplace.

"I wish the Eems would bother somebody else. I'm sick of them."

"The Eems are just a physical manifestation of your fears."

"Really?"

"No, they're shit-disturbing fairies attracted to insecurity. But I thought it sounded good. Whatever they are, we all have to face the Eems sometime. Back to work."

"Even you, Master?"

"Yes. Even me, Ackerly."

"I don't believe it."

"Why?"

"I don't know...you're so sure of everything you know. I thought you were made of granite, nothing could shake you."

"What are you made of, Ackerly?"

"Mud."

"Do the spell. Light the candle."

The Eems wouldn't shut up. Wouldn't leave Ackerly alone. They hovered near his ears' opening, whispering words like "feebled," and "inadequate." Some climbed in his ear and screamed "You will never amount to anything!" Ackerly flicked an Eem off his shoulder. He rubbed his eyes and stretched his long legs. He stood up, went to the window and looked at the activity in the courtyard below. Changing of the guard, a baker pulled bread from a great stone oven, the return of the Queen's hunting party. That's when he saw Lady Maeve.


Master had seen her too,"She is nice, isn't she?"

Of all women at court, Lady Maeve was the most agreeable. At court, protocol is set that people of lower rank (Ackerly) couldn't address a person of higher rank (Lady Maeve) until the higher ranking person spoke first. Lady Maeve tossed out that rule like night water and spoke to everyone, from the butchers to the King himself. Such a tiny word was too small a container for her character. What was the latest rumor about? A farmer. He couldn't pay his taxes. He was about to be put to the road, Lady Maeve paid them. Then she purchased the farm and hired the farmer and his family to stay on as caretakers.

Lady Maeve spoke four languages. There wasn't a horse in the stable she couldn't coax to ride. She sang. She played flute and lute. She could farm!

While Ackerly thought of the Lady's accomplishments, the Eems gathered around his ears and sang an aria. Ackerly slapped his ears until they flew off to bother someone else.

"Didn't she ask to see your library?"

"Yes."

"Has she?"

All Ackerly could do was stare. It was like seeing the sun when you've lived your life in darkness. When he blinked, he only saw her.

"Ackerly?"

"What, Master?"

"Have you invited Lady Maeve to see your library?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I don't know."

Ackerly chewed another fingernail. His rank was lower than an apprentice. Basically that meant that he was fit to hold the pointy hat and clean cauldrons.

"How long has it been since she asked?"

"Since the rising of the New Year moon. She asked after my...performance."

"Oh, yes. I remember now. You turned a chicken inside out."

It was a disaster. The great hall rang with the howls of laughter from those in attendance. He burned with shame. Why didn't they ask him to do slight-of-hand instead of transfiguration? Because they wanted cheap entertainment. All it cost Ackerly was his dignity. Lady Maeve didn't laugh. After he cleaned up the carcass, she asked him to dance. And while she danced--Ackerly's legs wobbled like two sacks of wine--Lady Maeve talked. She asked him questions. How long had he lived at court? Was he from this kingdom? Had he traveled abroad? She asked about his studies. Is magic taught or inborn? What's the most difficult task you've had to perform?

Hold your hand.

She mentioned how the Queens' party (her sister) had sailed three ships. The ship that was delayed carried her books; trunks and cases and barrels of them. Lady Maeve complained that she suffered from the withdrawl of written word. Did Ackerly know of any booksellers in the village? Did he know anyone who would be willing to loan her books? That's when Ackerly took himself by surprise.

"I have a library."

Lady Maeve beamed with delight when he stuttered the news.

"May I see it?"

Ackerly nodded. He wanted to share something of himself with her.

"Soon, I hope."

"Ackerly," Master said, pushing Ackerly into the present. Master gestured with the book, "look."

The apprentice turned around. Ackerly stood speechless. On the floor lay a pool of wax, the wick ablaze with the elusive blue flame.








© Copyright 2011 D.L. Fields (myanniversary at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1810093-Elusive-Flame