*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1810651-The-Beast-Within-Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Novel · Romance/Love · #1810651
A farmer boy turn solider all for the woman he loves.
  Chapter One



         My heart always gets me into trouble. To listen to it is both a gift and a curse. It brought me to my Elizabeth, the kings only daughter. I was a simple farm boy and I tended the pigs and calves my father raised. I was obedient and a hard working son, and I knew my father loved me for that.

         One day I was sent to the market, running errands. I had a few copper pieces left that I had earned. I was looking at parchment at a street vender. I loved to write. I would sit for ours and write under the moonlight, it’s brightness my candle glow. I spent half my copper on the parchment and then I saw her.

         The sun reflected off her golden-brown hair and her smile was as bright as the sun itself. She too had bought parchment and I asked if she liked to write. She laughed and my heart jumped. “Oh no, my passion is to draw,” She replied.

         I bowed and before I could stop myself, the words fought their way out, “I would bet my copper that your drawings are as beautiful as you, my lady.”

         I looked her in the eyes to show my truth. I’d heard that by avoiding someone’s eyes was as sign that one was lying and I did not want any falseness between us. At first she frowned and I prepared to run in shame. However, rather quickly, that frown disappeared and was replaced with a smile so fast that I could have sworn there was no frown at all. It was then she asked me of my name and if I lived nearby. Perhaps I finally did something right to get a lady to ask me of my name.

         “I am known as Alexander Rolliglen and I work on my fathers farm not far from here,” I answered, my smile beaming across my face. If I hadn’t been too nervous I would have taken her hand and kissed it like a real nobleman. I wiped my hands against my trousers and breathed an extra breath. I bowed not knowing what else to do.

         She smiled down at my bowed form and curtsied. “It is my pleasure to meat you Alexander. I am Elizabeth,” She introduced herself in return. I stood up and smiled again. I just couldn’t help myself. “I am sorry, but I must take my leave now. Perhaps  I will see you again,” She said.

         “By God’s grace, perhaps,” I replied. She smiled before turning and heading down the street with the grace of a cat. Every step swayed me and I could not tear my eyes from her. The sun paled in comparison and no beauty as catching as hers, had I seen before.

         It was a week later when I received a package. Inside it held a letter and with it a drawing. The package was from Elizabeth, the parchment held the scent of lilacs. She had graced the parchment with her perfume and it drew me in with a deadly attachment. Her script was elegant and seemed to flow like the ocean waves on a gentle day.

         In her letter she spoke of me as her prince. I had rode into her life on my white stallion that day at the market place. I had made her smile when her lips had not moved in such a way for so long. She had dreamed of me that night and every night since. Me, a simple farm boy. I was her prince. She was dreaming about me. I literally danced around the barn for an hour from pure happiness.

         The drawing was of a knight on a white stallion, her prince charming. I did not touch where her strokes had, in fear of smearing the priceless artwork. Every stroke was as elegant as her script. The shading was perfect and the detail was great. I’d never seen anything so amazing. Elizabeth was a masterful artist and to have such a drawing from her was a gift of an angel.

         From that day on, I wrote to her each night. I spoke of how I would come and rescue her. That we would ride away on a white stallion. I would carry her into the sunset and our lives would be blissful together. Each morning I would have a letter waiting for me. She spoke of how she counted the days till I came for her, that life with me would be heaven on Earth.

         Within time, the letters were not enough. We yearned to see each other, to feel the texture of the others skin. To hold each other in a warm embrace. We would meet in a field outside of the village. There we would hold each other for hours and speak of our dreams.  I wanted to get away from this place. There was a entire world out their and I could take her to anyplace she wanted. With my farmers knowledge I could build us a house and start crops and we could live where we choose.

         She wanted a family. To live in a big house and teach them all the ways of being noble men. She wanted a husband that looked at her and saw the world in her eyes, not the gold in her father’s pocket.  When I had looked at her in the market, she saw that in me. She could see a life with me and I, in turn, wanted nothing more than to grant her that very wish. I would give her anything in the world she desired.

         The days continued with our secret rendezvous. Each time I held her in my arms, my heart would burst. I wanted nothing more than to love her forever and be with her all of my life. I was ready to make that promise when suddenly her letters stopped and I would wait in the fields for many sunsets. As the days passed and I heard no word from her, my disquiet grew. Then one day I was sent for. Two guards arrived at my fathers farm. My father, William, had argued with them for what seemed like hours. In the end, I left with the guards. I took a final look back at my father and wondered if I would ever see the man again.

         Before night fell, I was kneeling before the king. By his side stood Elizabeth, tears streaming down her face and my heart ached to wipe them away. The king spoke of Elizabeth and I realized that she was his daughter. I had thought that she was merely a noble woman. Now I knew the depth of my transgressions. My heart shot into my throat and I prayed that forgiveness or punishment be dealt quickly.

         Judgment boomed within the Kings hall. I was to be punished for secretly being with Elizabeth and never allowed to see her again or he would have my life. There comes a time when choices are laid before you and they set in motion the course of your destiny. Had I chosen to go home, I would have lived out my life working on the farm. I would have met someone else and given our families plenty of grandchildren to play in the fields and to carry on our legacy. But choices are never made with logic and careful though in the moments we are asked to choose. We choose with our hearts and mine was bound to Elizabeth.

         I looked p and met the gaze of the King, “My heart is as pure as your finest gold and I have given it to Elizabeth out of love.”

          King Elijah starred me down with amusement, curiosity, and kindness. He beckoned for me to stand and on shaking knees I did. “You are a brave boy, not yet a man in my eyes. Courage is what I seek and if you raise arms with my army, fight for me and my kingdom, I will turn a blind eye to your affair with my daughter. No one is to know of this. I haven’t seen my daughter this happy in her entire life. My wife would shame me if she thought I would take that from her. So, I will turn this blind eye and allow you to remain with my daughter. However, the only outside world you will see is when you are on the battlefield. Do you understand me?” King Elijah asked.

         “Yes, my lord,” I answered trying to keep my voice from wavering. I was not a fighting man. I had never held a sword in my callused hands. I was a mere farm boy, meant to sow the seeds of the field. I had not a cruel bone in my body that would march me to war or to kill any person. But as I looked into Elizabeth’s eyes, I knew that I would do this for her.  I would do anything for her and for a moment that terrified me.

         My pledge into his army was followed swiftly and I was lead from the Kings hall to the barracks. We were inside the city walls, a place I’d never set foot in. I’d lived in the fields beyond the gates of this palace. The market was in the middle of the village and trading caravans traveled between the village and inside the city. The travel was a good distance and the knowledge that Elizabeth traveled this every day to lie with me made my heart swell.

         The barracks were made of minimal materials. Yet the buildings were a vast improvement from my fathers farmhouse. Once I was lead inside I was given armor that was slightly bigger than I was. The other soldiers laughed and I think I knew why. I must have looked like a joke. I was barely in my manhood and here I was fumbling with the straps of my armor and trying to tie the belt for my sword around my waist. I grinded my teeth and took a deep breath. I loved Elizabeth and I would do this for her or I would die trying. I held that oath till the day I was murdered.

         The morning came swiftly and I was dragged into the mud before sunrise. Sword drills, archery, tactics were drilled into my head and body for hours each day. I wasn’t the only new recruit. A dozen of us stood in the training square. I wasn’t in the worse condition among the young men that bled with me. Farm work had kept me lean and slightly muscular but I was no match against the soldiers swinging their blades at me.

         When we were finally able to sleep, I laid in my blanket starring at the ceiling. My body was sore and bruised but my heart was still strong. I made the oath to myself once more and settled into my determination. Nothing would stop me from being with Elizabeth. Nothing. That promise kept me going. The days past by and training continued. My mind and body was focused. I had to be the best for Elizabeth and I had to prove that to her father. But as each day passed, I needed to see her.

         Months after I had started training, I was finally allowed permission  to see Elizabeth. I was escorted through the Kings palace until I was lead through a long hallway filled with doors. I didn’t know where they were leading me but if anyone looked at us, they would have thought we were on patrol. No one would have guessed I was meeting the princess.

         The soldiers with me sneered as they lead me to a room at the end of the hallway.  I didn’t say anything. I was afraid. I didn’t know what of. I walked inside the room and bowed on my knees. Elizabeth came rushing forward and I stood. I wrapped my arms around her and she buried her head against my shoulder. Her hands snaked through my hair and I finally felt like I was where I belonged. This was all I ever wanted and if I had to endure hell everyday to be with her, then that’s what I would do.

         Elizabeth pulled back and I could smell the lilacs in her hair. She smiled that brilliant smile at me and my words failed me. “I’ve missed you so much,” She said before kissing me softly. When she pulled back again all I could do was smile. Everything she did left me breathless, and seeing her again, I had to teach myself how to speak all over again.

         “I have missed you, my love,” I replied finally finding my tongue. She smiled again and took my hand, leading me to the balcony. We stood looking over the kingdom. I gazed upon the city. We were so far up no one could see us but we could see everything. We were even able to see the market place in the village outside of the palace walls.

         She pointed to our right at a tiny brown speck at the edge of our view. “That’s your farmhouse. I was able to gaze in your direction every night and dream of you,” She said. I wrapped my arms around her waist and she laid her head back against my shoulder. I don’t know how long we stood their until the sun finally began to set. We watched as the sky lit up with oranges and reds and the clouds sang in their colors.

         I was sent for by the time the sun had rested over the horizon. I kissed her goodbye and promised to see her soon. I had hoped it would be sooner than our last separation but I was at the Kings mercy.  I could only keep proving myself and passing the days with my training. I couldn’t fail Elizabeth, it would kill me.

         Months continued on and the training intensified. As I trained, I began to notice the changes in my body. I was leaner and more solid. My stamina improved ten fold. I could fight off two men at once, and still run circles around them. I had never felt more healthier or exhausted.

         Finally, my training was complete and I was allowed to see Elizabeth once more. Our embrace was intense and lasted what felt like a life time. I could live holding her in my arms and never letting her go. I didn’t hesitate with my words this time. It was then that I made my promise to her. I promised her forever. The look in her eyes were filled with love and compassion. The strength in her hug as she flung herself to me and refused to let go. The passion of her kiss. All these things told me, more than words, that she wanted me forever.

         “There is only one thing,” I said and my voice finally felt like giving out. “I have to ask your father for permission.” She pulled back and I could see a hint of fear in her eyes. That didn’t give me any hope for our dreams. Who would allow a mere farmers son to marry the Kings daughter?

         I didn’t waste time going before her father. The King was in a moment of planning with our general. I was lead inside and waited patiently for a moment. I heard bits of their argument but was respectfully being oblivious.

         “Alexander, why do you seek my council?” King Elijah asked finally turning his attention to me. I looked up and shot my gaze between him and my general. I wasn’t raised as a solider so I wasn’t aware if their was any policy or tradition for asking a King his daughters hand in marriage.

         “My lord, I’ve come for your permission. I wish to marry your daughter,” I managed to keep my voice steady while I stood tall. My heart had never thumped so hard as I watched him stand in silence. Eventually he looked to the general who gave a slight nod before coming to stand before me.

         “I’ve been keeping up with your progress. You’ve been proving yourself quite nicely however I simply cannot let my daughter marry a mere solider. Only a general, or an arranged marriage would be worthy of my daughter.”  He placed his hands on my shoulders, bracing me for his decision. I clenched my jaw, preventing myself from lashing out in anger. My insides clenched and my breath caught in my voice. “There is a loop hole. If you were to return a war hero, then I could grant you my daughters hand in marriage.”

         “Sir, I would march single handily into your enemies land and bring you every head you desired. All for the right to your daughters hand,” I answered.

         King Elijah laughed and clapped his hands together. “Wonderful. Such ambition. You will make a fine husband. Should you stake claim to your declaration.” I nodded, my palms sweaty.

         “Very well, Alexander. Let me explain what our predicament is,” General Samuel spoke, waving me towards his war maps. “News has reached us that a small army is marching our way. Preliminary units have been sent out but none have returned. It seems the forces are unstoppable. Only one has returned with any news and the battle that approaches us seems dire,” General Samuel explained showing me where the attacks would be coming from.

         “What news has reached us?” I asked leaning forward on the table to observe the maps. I had never seen one before but the markings were easy to decipher.  The kingdom was flanked by woods, to the north was our village before travel paths veered off to lead to our neighboring towns. South lead to deserted wasteland where the incoming attacks were coming from.

         “He was badly beaten and on deaths door when we found him on the outskirts of the woods. He spoke of monsters, powered by the moon’s light. Claws that could rip through armor, teeth that snapped even the strongest of swords into pieces. It was the howls he spoke of that seemed to terrify him the most.” General Samuel folded his arms across his chest and shook his head.

         “What is our plan of attack?” I asked. It sounded like we were fighting some type of animal. Perhaps the soldiers were using dogs or wolves.

         “We still do not have enough information to launch our troops against these creatures. We have decided to send one last scouting party against our enemies in an attempt to gain more information. Our troops will be ready to march when we learn more,” General Samuel answered.

         “What makes you think this party will be any different then the last?” I asked. I didn’t mean to be disrespectful but he had to have a reason for risking more lives.

         “I don’t want to send my troops against an enemy we know nothing about. Too many lives are at stake. Including the princess,” General Samuel answered. I nodded. I had no argument. I wanted Elizabeth to stay safe and I wanted to be the one to keep her safe. Part of that was doing what my King and General wished of me.

         “Yes sir. Point me in the right direction and I will get the answers you seek,” I said, standing tall. I clasped my hands behind my back and awaited my orders.

         “You will travel south with a small group of chosen men. Do not attack unless your mission will be jeopardized. Learn what you can and report back.  It is simple,” General Samuel spoke, looking down upon me.

         I stood straight, saluted, and responded, “Yes, sir.” What else could I have said? I was being assigned a mission. A mission that would prove my worth to marry Princess Elizabeth.

         “Good. I’ll have your party assembled in the morning. You all will leave by day break,” General Samuel commanded. I saluted once more and left heading to the barracks. I had to prepare.





         I could not sleep as the moon traveled across the sky. I paced my tent, then I paced in the courtyard. In the early hours of morning, before even the flocks were awake, Elizabeth sent for me. I snuck quietly through the halls until I reached her door. I rapped against the frame gently and when she opened her door, I swiftly entered before the beauty of her stopped me in my tracks. Her hair was let loose around her shoulders, her gown reflected her honey skin in a glow that caught my breath.

         “My Elizabeth, why have you summoned me?” I asked still in shock. She took my hand and lead me further into her chambers. I called her name again but she placed one finger against my lips, and no inner strength would allow me to speak again. When she stopped leading me her hands reached up and cupped my face.

         “I know that you will be gone in the morning. My handmaiden heard of your mission and I fear you will never return to me,” She whispered, stroking my cheek.

         “My love, I will do as your father asks. I will earn your hand,” I found my words. My hands went her waist and I pulled her into my embrace. She should not fear for me for I would come back. I would be the hero her father required of me and forever we would be united.

         “You do not need to earn my love. I am yours,” She whispered. I reached up and caught the tear that escaped her. I slowly leaned forward and rested our foreheads together.

         “I love you more than the Earth could love the Sun. More than the ocean loves the wind. My heart will never be lost, for you hold it with yours,” My voice cracked. Her gasp barely escaped my ears. I caught a few more of her tears as we simply held each other.

         “We may only have tonight. Please be mine till the morning sun,” She requested, gently trailing her hands down until they rested against my chest.

         “My love, it would be against God,” I replied, nearly chocking on my words. My chest burned with desire for her, it burned with love as it had since I had first laid eyes on her.  Her fingers twirled against the fabric of my shirt, and I willing went and laid with her. By dawns light, I was back at my tent awaiting the band of soldiers that would join me on my quest.

         We slung our packs over our shoulders and looked back as we traveled out of the city borders. I gripped my chest tightly until I could no longer see the tip of her tower. I knew she was watching as I marched into unknown evils. Her heart was breaking with every step we took. With each passing moment my resolve strengthened. No matter what, I would return the hero she needed me to be.

© Copyright 2011 Silvermoon (greeneyedangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1810651-The-Beast-Within-Chapter-1