*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1810971-Credo-for-the-End-of-Modern-Times
Rated: E · Bulletin · Cultural · #1810971
The rise of irrational thinking is bad for itself and worse for what it signifies
The rise of irrational thinking, in the form of say religious fundamentalism, or climate change denialism, or radical social deregulation, indicates a society that is profoundly losing its way and has ceased to be viable at virtually every level at which it operates; existentially, socially, economically and environmentally.

Whether it be at the level of adequately capitalizing and securing very vulnerable individual egos, or moving out of laissez-faire libertarianism to social governance rebuilding, or cutting back on systemic over-production so we can rebalance our social capitalization effort and repair damaged psychological hinterlands, or making sure our descendants have some ecological capital left that will give them the necessary environmental income to live off, nothing we are doing now indicates sustainable behavior, or much hope for the future.

The rise of religious fundamentalism should not be any surprise.  Existential and social panic should be considered reasonable in the face of the gravity of our situation.  And religion is getting the business from that because secular society has been so successfully colonized by an an extremist, revolutionary and totalitarian consumer capitalism, it can't respond to the challenge, even though the awful damage it is doing and the crushing emptiness and silence that exists below the color and movement of its surfaces, threaten to destroy its subjects and everything it touches.

I am working on a secular, fundamentalist and non traditional conservatism that addresses some of the issues. As you can appreciate, that is a large project, but if you want to see the work in progress, check out my writing site.

(This is the introduction to the longer piece:  http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849413-A-Post-Modern-Conservative... )
© Copyright 2011 Christopher Eastman-Nagle (kiffit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1810971-Credo-for-the-End-of-Modern-Times