*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1811490-Tales-of-Motherhood
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1811490
Real life accounts of mothers
I could open this with a fancy line. I could say so many things about mothers. But I am going to keep it within the realm that realistic motherhood is. Its not always glitz and glamour, but lot's of smiles, tender moments and ocassionally fits of frustration! The overwhelming sense of amazement and love that is wrapped up into the tiny bundle of joy taking their first breath of life is miraculous. It goes deeper for a mother because they have been adapting to kicks, movements, hiccups and learning their unique personalities long before their father ever could. The anticipation of their first cry, the first time you touch their soft, delicate skin, seeing them for the first time, trying to wrap your mind around the fact that they are now in your care. You spend your time studying their every wrinkle because you just want to savor every moment with them. Closing your eyes, and inhaling the scent from the top of their little heads.

For months, we sacrifice our sleep for their hunger, sickness, diaper changes, or fixing treats for their class at school. We desperately want to be a witness to every 'first' that they have. We attend field trips, parties, church, family events and doctor and dentist visits. WE create our own fun with picnics in the living room when it rains on our parade, bake cookies just because they feel special & big getting to pour in the sugar. We don't follow rules when the bubble bath says to use only 1 capful, bc we know it's only really a FUN bath if we just pour in the amount we think works good for maximum bubbles. We go to the trouble of setting up our dining rooms for tea parties for our extra special guests' that dress up in their favorite dress up cloths and non-matching jewelry & shoes. They waltz in as if they are royalty and the smiles can't be wiped or scrubbed off their sweet faces bc they are enjoying their special tea time. We make up fake tickets, set up pretend concession stands and let them pretend it's the movie theater and let them order popcorn & drinks and turn their tickets in and enter into the 'theater' in your living room just to make family movie night a little more memorable. We play games until the cows come home because we are snowed in, read books, help brush teeth, learn to skate, ride bikes, play ball, go to the park, and laugh because that is single handedly one of the greatest tools they can have, a joyous laugh each day.

We cry when they are sick, get hurt playing outside, get their shots or disobey because we just love them so. We doctor boo-boo's, fix toys, create new ways to do things, set up Thomas the train tracks and the entire island of Sodor takes over your living room. We become more than protective when anyone hurts their feelings, we want to show those other hoodlum kids who is the real boss! We save lost socks from a life of solitude under beds, we motivate them to eat a really good lunch so they get dessert when their Dad is watching, and sometimes sneak them a piece of cake anyway bc we can't stand them going without.*Smile* We adore our daughters going to the store in blue jeans, cute shirt, white easter gloves on, with their purse that is stocked with miscellaneous items, and see the great pride they have with the chosen attire. Watching our strapping boys stomp around with their red dalmation hat on backwards, plaid shorts, t-shirt and baseball cleats on and he feels like a real man. We call everyone in our cell phones when they achieve something great, or say something hilarious, or we lasso in the best prayer warriors we know when something doesn't go just right.


We rejoice in their salvation, bc we realize our relationships will continue. We guide them to surpass us in our achievments because we want so much more for them. We try so hard to consistantly give them better and more than we ever had. We build firm foundations of Christ, teach them that it doesn't matter what 'everyone' else is doing, that what we say goes, learning to earn instead of having their hand stuck out in expectation. Teach them life doesn't always deal you a fair hand, but that is never an excuse to do wrong or give up, they must face challenges eye to eye and don't back down, respect should be given, and that you don't have to like every task that is laid before you, but completeing that job, and doing it well as if for the Lord himself says more about their character than man's words ever could. Talking and saying things is never enough, the actions and ways we daily live our lives speak the truth of who we are everytime. The Golden Rule should be followed, even when it feels like it stings and burns your heart to execute.

We pray for them when no one knows it, we pick up their stuffed bear from the middle of the living room even though they should have done it. We make excuses to hug them, and our hearts melt when we get slobbery kisses on the cheek. We adore hearing "I love you" from their little mouths, love to watch them sleep peacefully, and when their giggle boxes get turned over, then so does ours. This happens even when they have done something not good, but they are so darn cute looking back at you, giggling is hard NOT to do. We sweep up dirt from adventures that carry on from the outside to the inside. We stuff drawings and special stories into a keepsake box for them when they are older. We share stories of family from times passed, we administer band aids, regardless of how microscopic the scratch, followed by M&M candies as their medicine. We fix food plates for stuffed animals or babies that magically come alive right before dinner time.

We teach them manners, and forgivness. We teach patience, love, compassion and integrity. We teach them that Mommy will never be older than 29. We teach them that dessert should be eaten first sometimes, that, friends come and go but family is forever. We teach them that their will never be any greater fans than us, we teach them to be honest, look for the good in others and always seek the common ground even with strangers. We teach that 'Sportsmanship' is above 'Championship." If they can dream it, they can do it. "I can't" isn't acceptable, but 'I tried' is. We teach generousity is always a blessing, to both the reciever and the giver and that the only way to God is thru the blood of Jesus.


Somewhere out there, there is a mother that does it all alone and manages to do the job of 2. There is a mother that has the help of her spouse, there is a mother that takes care of a child that is not her own, but loves them as such. There is a mother that has never laid eyes on her child since the day they were born because they wanted a better life for the child than they could give. Somewhere there is a heartbroken mother looking into eyes of children that will never be able to see their deceased father and they couragously face everyday with a smile and a heart of love. Somewhere there are sweet children that will not be able to hug their mothers because they have gone to be with the Lord, because they were obviously too beautiful for this life and God wanted them home with him. Somewhere there is a mother rocking in a chair gazing at a decorated room, with empty arms because maybe her baby was too early and can't come home yet or maybe they have gone home to be with the Lord. Somewhere a mother is dedicating her every breath, thought and action to investing in the lives of the children they have, and no matter which mother you know or are, I wish you the VERY Happiest of Mothers Days and may God bless you and your wonderful families this year and for always!
© Copyright 2011 leahmay (dailybridges at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1811490-Tales-of-Motherhood