*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1812801-Attitude-
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ramsja
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1812801
People we meet and their attitudes .....
I was travelling from Punjab to Mumbai by train, some of the people I came across en route were astoundingly irrational. My husband and I were quite glad about the seats we got in the 2-tier coach and were preparing to settle down for a pleasant journey. Come Panipat, and a passenger boarded to occupy the vacant seat next to ours. As mine was the lower berth and my husband's upper, I very cordially requested him to exchange his lower berth to my husband's upper berth, ( he was a young man of maybe in his late 30's ) , but he said no !! he wanted to sleep just then and he spread his legs and went off to sleep, or so he pretended.

We ignored the negative response and carried on our conversation and gradually had some tea and then lunch too. Then as night approached he seemed to have another friend in another coach and so he left quite early in the evening and came back late in the night by 11pm, and he was drunk !! There was some kind of a dispute between him and one of the railway attendants. He created a brawl and the police had to be called in and he was taken away and beaten up too, then he begged and pleaded and was made to stay somewhere other than on his seat for quite sometime. After that he fell asleep, but I lost my sleep, I just couldn't shut my eyes, I was nervous through out, and moreover he had disturbed the sleep already.

Anyway, the morning seemed to bring some sense in him, or so we thought, but he was the same again, no remorse at all after what happened last night !! The attendants too passing by, looked at him with sarcasm but he showed no signs of any kind of regret of his behaviour the previous night. He made some calls and he was like yelling into the phone, irrespective of the nuisance he was causing to the people around him !!

Late in the night at 2 am boarded another passenger from Quota, he seemed to be a young fellow, in his early 30's, and he immediately went up to his upper berth and slept. Later in the morning he came down, and sat to have his b'fast. He burped so loudly that my husband and I looked up at each other's faces simultaneously !! This burping continued for quite some time and he had no courtesy to either cover his face or control it at all. He was least bothered about the kind of discomfort he was causing by the way he sat down on the seat. He put both legs on the seat and then one on top of the other, up in the air and the mobile in his hand. He spoke so loudly on the cell, that it seemed as if he was the only person present there. I cannot understand why people have to shout so much into the phone, or if they feel there is some network problem, then might as well get up and move outside the coach and talk as loudly as possible in the gangway.

As we were nearing to the end of our journey, there was this another passenger, who seemed to be a railway employee, he came to occupy the vacant seat opposite to our seat. He too was as if awake from ages and he asked the attendant to give him the bedding and rolled it under his head and was lying down. As our train arrived Borivili, the attendants started collecting the beddings, all of us handed it to them. When he asked this passenger to give him his, he refused and said, very arrogantly, to wait, as there was still some more time. There was probably just about half an hour left for the final station, Bandra. The poor fellow, a simple attendant, went away. As Santa-Cruz approached, which is just 5 minutes away, he came again and very politely addressed him, "Sir, please, abhi de do naa.. abhi toh station bhi aa jayega.."(give the bedding now the station is just here), this man, roared back at him and said, he will not give him the same till the station arrives, and he was very rude. Only after the train chugged into the platform he got up and the poor fellow was waiting only for this last bedding to bundle up and submit at the station !!

Why are people so indifferent, so inconsiderate towards others ?? I feel like ripping open their brains and try to analyse their behaviour. At times, it is so difficult to comprehend this attitude, what makes them do and say what they do and say the way they do and say !!!!!!

What makes people develop this kind of an attitude ?? Why can't they behave like normal human beings and follow the simple words :" Do unto others as you would like others do unto you". The earth would be such a nice place if all were considerate and hospitable towards one another.
© Copyright 2011 Ramsja (manjeetkaur at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1812801-Attitude-