*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1813852-To-Tell-The-Truth
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1813852
To tell the truth or not to tell the truth. Winner Daily Flash Fiction 9/27/11!
“Where were you last night?”  Nora roared as George staggered through the front door. 

His attempt at fixing his disheveled clothing proved futile, only adding to his wife’s fury.

“Do you honestly think straightening your tie can get you off the hook, George?  Just look at yourself!”

George glanced at his reflection in the foyer mirror – he was a mess.  Besides looking as though a pack of wild animals had tried to undress him, his eyes were bloodshot red, and his face was ashen.  Unfortunately, his appearance did not even begin to tell what he had endured and that was going to be a problem.

As he turned to face his seething wife, George remembered the one piece of advice his father has given him on his wedding day, fifteen years ago …

Georgie, marriage is no easy business.  There are gonna be times when you have to lie and take your punishment like a man.  The truth, as well intentioned as it may be, will be too hard for her to believe and she’ll never believe you again.

“Where were you?”  Nora demanded.

Considering his father’s two failed marriages, George had little faith in his advice – then and now. 

“To tell the truth, I was at a strip club with the guys.  I was in the Champagne Room with a stripper, when the cops raided the place.  I was taken down town and charged with solicitation.” 

Although he prepared himself for the sting of her slap, it still packed a punch.

As George lay on the couch, his bed for the next few weeks, he realized his father was right.  Nora would never have believed he was abducted by aliens, and poked and prodded for the last six hours.  He had had to take that like a man too. 


Word count: 300
© Copyright 2011 anastasia beyverhausen (moisie75 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1813852-To-Tell-The-Truth