*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1815236-Systematic-Betrayal
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1815236
A tale of two frenemies.
Word count: 997

         I looked across at her sleeping form. The sheet clung tightly to her toned body. I was lucky she was beautiful, it made everything easier. After years of friendly flirting I'd suspected all it would take was the will, the opportunity, and a few glasses of wine for it to happen. I slipped quietly out of the bed and set about collecting my clothes from about the room. Where was my shirt? Oh that's right, lounge room. I walked down stairs in darkness so as not to wake her, or the kids. As I was buttoning up my shirt I could hear a car pull in the driveway, perfect timing. Smoothing my clothes down, I walked out the front door.

         He was surprised to see me.
         “Jimmy? H, hey buddy, what are...” he started.
         “Billy, Mate, how was dinner?”
         “Dinner?”
         “That's right dinner. You know the one. The one where you were convincing our biggest clients to break off with you.”
         “Jimmy I..”
         “You thought I wouldn't find out? You think I wouldn't hear of my long time partner, my best friend, planning a midnight exodus with our biggest punters? Jimmy, partner, do you really give me so little credit.” Billy seemed lost for words. I slapped him on the back reassuringly. “Don't worry, It's alright, we're good.”
         “We are?”
         “Sure, we are.”
         “But..”
         “ I'm in an extraordinarily good mood my friend. I guess fucking your wife just does that to me.”
Billy stared at me dumbfounded. I sauntered to my car and drove away.

         Could he really have been that surprised? This sick little game of systematic betrayal had been going on forever. I break his fire engine, he breaks my transformer. I build a model bi- plane for the fair, he builds a jet fighter.  I woo a girl he's sweet on, he seduces my sister. I pad my salary with a few private commissions, he plans to pull the whole business from under me. Well guess what? I banged your old lady like a street whore, check mate mother fucker.

         I pulled in to the local watering hole for a quiet beer and a meal. The steak and chips were  mediocre as usual but the cold beer was heavenly. We'd definitely break up the firm now, but I should be able to hold onto enough business to start something on my own, it'll be alright. There was something soothing about having finally come to an end of mine and Billy's unspoken, poisonous feud, and I the victor. I still held this thought as I pulled up at home. My heart sank as I saw Billy's car already parked out front. Oh no you don't.

         Getting out of my car I pricked my ears. I couldn't hear anything. Slowly, I made my way through the gate prepared to quiet the dog's overzealousness at daddy being home, she never came. I walked around to see her lying in a pool of light coming through the glass sliding door. I crept over towards the entrance not wanting to alert those inside to my presence. I had to know what sort of a move he was making.

         The dog still didn't budge as I walked over her, good. Carefully, I pulled the door open, it was never locked, and stepped inside. Still I couldn't hear anything. I was too pre occupied to notice the bloodied footprints I was trekking into the house. I stood perfectly still in the overpowering silence when a loud scream pierced through night before being cut short.
“Karen?” 
Spurred into action I bolted through the kitchen, across the lounge room and down the long hallway. My bedroom door was open at the end and light spilled out onto the carpeted ground. Suddenly I was tripped up by something lying across the floor. I looked down to see the fragile body of my little girl spread-eagled at my feet in the half light.
         
         “Oh baby no.” Tears started to well in my eyes. Reaching down I pulled her small lifeless body toward me. My hands were wet and sticky. The congealed blood caught in her hair as I tried to brush it out of her beautiful face. The dam burst. My face became flooded with tears as I pulled my daughter's small limp body against me. The sounds of my grief caught the attention of my bedrooms occupant.
         “Jimmy? That you buddy?” I looked towards the doorway seeing nothing, saying nothing.
         “Come join us Jim, we've been waiting for you.”
Oh my god Karen, the baby. I looked into the empty eyes of my first born and grief started morphing into a steady seething anger. I kissed her forehead and gently lay her back on the floor. I marched towards the bedroom intently.

         I walked into a horror show. The walls were splattered with blood. The cradle sat broken against the wall, the blankets were stained red. A small lump of flesh and babies clothes was crumpled in one corner. Billy sat on the bed with Karen's bruised and bloodied head lying on his lap. A knife was held against her throat, a sock protruded from her mouth. Tears streamed down her face as her eye's looked towards me with a wild hysterical pleading. I froze as shock was washed through my bubbling cauldron of emotion.
         “I wanted you to see this Jimmy my man.” He pulled the blade across her throat. Karen gave out muted choking sounds and her eyes strained out of her skull towards me, through me. The crimson fluid ebbed from her throat.
         “For fucks sake!” I squeaked, both numb and fuming from emotional overload.
         “It's alright Jim!” cut in Billy standing with his arms up, a knife still held in one fist.”I forgive you brother. You're lucky I'm in a good mood. I guess executing your family just does that for me.”
© Copyright 2011 oneofmany (oneofmany at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1815236-Systematic-Betrayal