*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1816149-Essential-Study-Tips-for-Online-College
by Agie
Rated: E · Article · How-To/Advice · #1816149
Five essential study tips to help students who are attending online college classes.
5 Essential Study Tips for Online College


As online colleges are becoming more common, students are taking advantage of the ability to obtain a college degree in the comfort of home around busy work and family schedules. Attending classes through an online college offers many advantages; however, without the structure of the traditional classroom, there are also some challenges.

Following these five essential study tips for online college classes enables students to have a successful learning experience.

Be Prepared

Order required texts and materials in advance to have time to review the material before class starts. Become familiar with the virtual classroom by taking advantage of tutorials and guides. Spending time browsing through the classroom, learning how to post and submit assignments before class starts, makes that first busy week easier to handle. If the syllabus is available, print and review it, and if time permits, skim through the textbook and read the first few chapters. Start class prepared and organized by setting up a simple binder system for the syllabus, assignments and notes.

Set Up Work Space


A comfortable study place is essential to online students. Find a quiet place away from the noise of the household and set up a table or desk that is used exclusively for class work. Keep all required materials, binders and textbooks together in this one space along with pens and pencils. This reduces the amount of wasted time it takes to search for materials and allows for efficient use of limited study time.

Make a Regular Study Schedule


Working at home can have many distractions. The television may be on, the laundry basket is full, and the kids may need attention. In order to complete online college classes successfully, it is essential for busy students to schedule study time into the daily work and home schedule. To avoid last minute panic and cramming, set aside an hour or two of each day for online class work.

Get a Study Buddy

After the first week or so of attending the virtual classroom, students become familiar to each other and it’s easy to identify those who may be compatible study partners. Contact these students through a private email and see if any are interested in setting up online study sessions or exchanging feedback prior to submitting assignments. If any of the other students are local, it may be possible to meet at the library or coffee shop for study sessions.

Stay on Top of the Work

Quite possibly, the most important online college study tip of all is to keep on top of the work. As online college classes take self-discipline and motivation, it can be easy to put off assignments until it is too late. As the class progresses, regularly review the syllabus, and, if possible, read ahead during breaks at work or other slow times. Keeping ahead and on top of the assignments allows for time available to deal with unexpected events without losing ground.

Overall, taking online college classes can be a rewarding experience, and by following these five essential study tips, your time spent in the virtual classroom will be a stress free and productive experience. Just remember, be prepared, set up a comfortable work space, develop a regular study schedule, find a study partner and, most importantly, keep up with the required assignments.



© Copyright 2011 Agie (agieheiss at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1816149-Essential-Study-Tips-for-Online-College