*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1817705-Thieves-of-the-sea
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1817705
Seventh chapter - R&R
Before you start reading this, keep in mind I just write for pleasure. I have no real intention to bring it out, but I still would like your feedback on this. Any reaction is welcome. If you review me, I would be glad to review your work. I hope you enjoy the story so far.

Upon arriving on deck again, Charlotte pushed her way through the crowd that surrounded Thomas and Mario. While Vaughn led them back to the hatch, she stood in front of him and block his path.
“What are you doing? What did my father say?”
Vaughn tried to pass her but she wouldn’t let him.
“He wants them locked up again.”
Charlotte’s eyes went wide. “That can’t be right!” She pointed at Thomas. “He just saved Andrew! Both of them have saved us, several times now!”
“I’m only doing what your father has told me to do.”
“He has no idea what he is doing! And I’m going to make that clear to him!”
“No, don’t,” Thomas interrupted. “It’s fine. Really.”
“No. You don’t deserve to be treated like this.”
“It is exactly how we should be treated.”
“Well, I don’t think so. And that’s what I’m going to tell him now.”
She rushed away before Thomas could even stop her again.
“Come on,” Vaughn said. “Go back in there, you two.”
Thomas’ thoughts were far away and he was only a little aware of the fact they were already back in the hold when the hatch closed above his head. Vaughn nodded a last time at him and left them.
Mario walked to one side of the hold and sat down against the wall. “I told you she has an eye on you.”
Thomas walked to the opposite side and sat down as well. “Yes, I see what you mean now.”
Mario smiled. “She has gone to her father for you.”
“I know, let us hope she won’t jeopardize our plans.”
“And that the capitán keeps his word.”
“I trust him. He’s on our side.”
Mario leaned against the wall and closed his eyes. “But for how long?”
Thomas knew that was a possibility, but he didn’t want to worry about that. He had a good feeling about this and the captain could be trusted. He was sure of that.
A push in his back woke him up. Thomas slowly opened his eyes and saw it was dark. A hand pulled at his shoulder. “Thomas, wake up,” Mario whispered.
He rolled on his back. “What’s happening,” he asked sleepy.
“Someone wants to talk to you.”
“Who?”
The person who was waiting, overheard their conversation and jumped in. “It’s me, mister. Andrew,” he said quietly.
“Andrew?” Thomas staggered to his feet and walked over to the opening. “What are you doing? You shouldn’t be here.”
“I know. but I wanted to thank you…for saving me today.”
Thomas heaved a sigh. “You don’t have to do that.”
“I do. I can’t swim, I never learned it.”
Thomas grinned. “That I’ve noticed.”
“Will you teach it to me? I’d like to learn it. From you.”
Thomas was speechless. “I…em…Andrew, I don’t think that’s possible.”
“Oh…Because you are in here?”
“Yes.”
“Why did my uncle lock you up?”
“…em…we did some bad things and this is our punishment.”
“I didn’t see you do bad things, I only saw you do good things. You helped us.”
“Yes, we did, but we also did other things…that hurt people.”
“I don’t think you are a bad person. You are kind to us.”
Thomas smiled sadly.
“You should go back to your mother. It’s already late. You should be in bed.”
“Yes. I will go back now. It was nice to talk to you.”
“It was nice to talk to you too.”
“Goodbye then,” the boy said as he stood up.
“Take care, Andrew.”
He heard the boy go away and sat down again.
“Now you have wounded that chico around your finger too.”
“I didn’t…I didn’t wound him around my finger.”
“Oh, then why did he come here? All by himself? In the middle of the night?”
Thomas had to admit that he must have left a serious impression on the boy that day.
The silence was interrupted with the sound of Mario’s stomach.
“You’re hungry?”
Mario grinned. “Aren’t you?”
“Yes, it’s been a while since we had something to eat.”
“So far for them helping us,” Mario said under his breath.
Thomas didn’t agree with him. The people on this ship had already done enough for them. And when they were back on land, they would have plenty to eat.
“Psst.”
Thomas’ head lifted up to the hatch and he stood up.
“Andrew, I told you to go back.”
“It’s not Andrew. It’s me.”
Thomas hadn’t a least expected this. “Miss Bradford?”
She smiled. “Charlotte will do. That my nephew has come to meet you and now me, that must mean something, doesn’t it?”
“Miss Br-…Charlotte, you shouldn’t come here.”
“And why not?”
“If the captain finds you here…”
“You think I’m worried about what my father will do? He doesn’t know what he’s doing, but I am. I’m not afraid of him.”
“Nevertheless, you don’t have to do this. I told you, it’s fine.”
“I don’t think it’s fine. If I had the chance, I’d liberate you from your cell, but my father has the key to this lock. I could try to…”
“No! I mean, don’t take that risk for us. We except our fate. Please do the same.”
“But I still think…”
“Yes, I know, and we appreciate your concern. But it’s not worth it.”
Charlotte sighed disappointed. “You’re too good for this world, you know that?”
“You’re the second one today who tells me that…,” Thomas whispered.
“If there is something else I can do to help you, please tell me.”
“No, we don’t need anything.”
“Well, to be honest, we are very hungry,” Mario said. “Do you maybe…”
“It’s good then I came prepared. I know you haven’t been given anything to eat for a while.” She moved away and came back. “Here.”
She stuck her arm through the grate. In her hand she held a bundle of cloth.
She dropped the bundle and it fell in Mario’s hands. He opened the cloth and inside was some dried meat.
“I know it’s not much…”
“No, no, it is good,” Mario said delighted and he took a piece of meat and started eating.
Thomas grinned at watching his friend devour it. He looked back up. “Well, you made him happy.”
“I wished I could make you happy.”
Thomas didn’t know what to answer. He now understood she really wanted more from him.
“…I…em…listen, it’s not…,” he stammered. “I’m sorry, but I don’t feel…” He didn’t dare to go further.
“Oh, I see. I thought…”
“I don’t want to lie to you.”
Charlotte didn’t say anything anymore. Thomas had the feeling he had to tell her something to comfort her, but he didn’t know what.
“I have to go,” she said suddenly and moved away from the hatch.
Thomas let out a sigh.
Idiota!
Thomas turned to his friend. “Why? Because I’m honest to her?”
“I told you to keep her a friend.”
“I don’t feel anything for her, Mario.”
“That is no excuse. She was willing to help us.”
“We already have a plan.”
“After she got us out, you could tell her the truth. Not now!”
Thomas shook no. “You don’t understand…”
“Oh, I do understand. You are only thinking about someone you don’t even know!”
“It’s not up to you to decide who I love and who not!”
“This has nothing to do about love! This is about getting us out! She was a way to get us out and you let her go!” He heaved an angry sigh.
“I know this has not gone according to plan…”
Mario grinned sarcastically. “Oh, really?”
“Yes, I know what you mean, but even if she got us out, then what? We are in the middle of the sea. We can’t swim to shore.”
“We take one of the longboats.”
“A longboat won’t get us far and besides we have no idea where we are.”
“You’re good at reading the stars. You’ll find a way. You always find a way.”
“Still, there’s only a little chance we can make it.” Thomas walked over to his friend. “Mario, trust me, this is our best option.” He put a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “Or do you want to end up back at Nevis like three years ago?”
“Nevis?
“You do remember, don’t you? The Caribs?”
“Ah, …we took a wrong turn there.”
Thomas took a step back. “Wrong turn, you call that? We didn’t know where we were and ran straight in their trap. We could have been eaten alive.”
“Some were.”
“And you want to run that risk again?”
“We are not so close to Nevis now,” Mario said brief.
“Mario, you know what I mean.” Thomas put his hands in his side. “Come on, we can do it. I need you on this.”
Mario let out a tired sigh and showed a smile. “How do you do that?”
Thomas frowned. “Do what?”
“Convince me so easily,” Mario said annoyed.
“I hope that’s a compliment.”
Mario pushed him playfully. “So what do we do now?”
Mario sat down against the wall again. Thomas moved over to him. “I think, the only thing we can do now…,” he sat down next to him, “is wait, I guess.”
Mario let out a frustrated sigh and dropped his head against the wall.
Thomas couldn’t help but grin at his friend’s reaction.
He knew him so well. Mario was always the most impulsive out of them both. He wished his friend would think first before doing something. But on the other hand, doing something drastic sometimes was the best way.
Nevertheless, Thomas trusted the situation they were in now and was confident that Bradford would keep his word and let them out when they reach land.
Thomas pulled up his knees and rested his arms on them. He leaned with his head back against the wall and let out a calm, relaxing sigh while closing his eyes.
“I do not understand how you can be so calm,” Mario said surprised.
“We have nothing to worry about, so I see no reason why we should.”
“They have made us believe before they were with us and they weren’t.”
“This is different, Mario. You just need to be patient.”
“That is something I am not.”
Thomas grinned. “Yes, I know.”
Mario turned away from him and said nothing more.
For Thomas it was clear. Vaughn and his captain were keeping their word. It was like Bradford had said. What reason would he still have to turn them in after all they had done to help him, his crew and all his passengers. Not that he had planned this up front, but Thomas admitted to himself that it couldn’t have gone better for the both of them.
“Fine,” Mario suddenly said.
Thomas looked up from his thoughts.
“I’ll be patient. But when you and I are standing there, at the gallows, I will repeat this conversación until both of us are dead.”
Thomas sighed annoyed yet playful. “Fair enough.”
Mario closed his eyes and didn’t say another word.
Thomas shook his head, leaned back again and closed his eyes as well.

The following days, things were a lot more quiet. They were not asked anymore to do some unimportant tasks to keep them busy. They were locked up in the hold the whole time instead. There were also not so much visitors as before. Still, passengers tried to talk to them, like Andrew. But when Vaughn saw them doing that, he stopped them and made them leave. Some men tried to meet them in secret, but then Vaughn was there to keep that from happening. Thomas only heard a part of those conversations above his head. He found it amazing how all these people were trying to help them now. The things he had done for them had made them change their mind about these two particular pirates. Thomas had hoped as much, but never dared to think it would actually happen.
Another difference was the amount of food they got now compared to a couple of days before. Mario didn’t complain anymore he was hungry. About four times a day Vaughn provided them with something to eat and that was plenty.
Three days after they had been locked up again, he came once more to bring them some food. He dropped the bag of dried meat through the holes of the grate and Mario caught it in his arms. He passed on some pieces to Thomas.
“We are nearly there. Keep ready for tonight.”
That said he left them again.
Mario turned to Thomas. “Finally. Now we will see what their word is worth.”
“If you’re saying you think they have taken us to Port Royal after all, then you’re wrong. That’s another five to six days from here. At least.”
Mario took a bite from his piece and chewed. “Once were are out, I will believe it.”
Thomas smiled. “You need to have more faith in them. And me,” he stressed.
“I do trust you, with my life. You know that. I just don’t want to make a mistake now we are so close.”
Thomas frowned. “So close? What are you talking about? Close to what?”
“You know what I mean.”
“Mario, if I knew I wouldn’t be asking. What is this about?”
El Capitán wants to return home.”
“Yes, I know that. We all want to return home.” Thomas turned around and walked to the wall. “We have been out at sea for too long,” he whispered to himself.
Si, but he is finally going to give us our share of the gold.”
Thomas grinned. “He’s been telling that to us for months. I don’t think he’s going to do that.” Thomas sat down with his piece of meat against the wall. He shook his head. “It’s yet another one of his tricks” He took a bite.
“Possible. But we should find our way back to the rest as soon as we get out. That is, if we get out;” he said looking at the hatch above his head.
Thomas heaved sigh while chewing. He swallowed it fast. “Patience. Just a couple more hours.”
His friend turned around and walked a few paces.
“And have you been thinking about what you are going to say to Valdez when we are back? He is waiting for a ship.”
Thomas lowered his head. “I’m working on that.”
“He won’t be happy. We will need a good story.”
“I know.” Thomas thought about it. “Actually, we can say the truth,” he replied looking up to his friend. “But we will have to…twist it a little,” he said uneasy.
“Twist it a lot. We can’t say we have helped them.”
“Of course not. I wasn’t going to,” he replied indignant. “I mean, we can say that they found a way to get out and overpower us. Then they locked us up, which is the truth, and we found a way to escape ourselves.”
“If he will believe that. That’s the fourth time you’re going to tell him that.”
“This is different from the other times. Now we have saved about thirty people where we only were able to save a handful before. The so-called survivors Valdez wants to spread the word of our attacks.” Thomas still didn’t understand why he wanted that everyone feared him. And why he had to kill most to make that clear. It didn’t make any sense to him.
“I don’t know. Maybe I’ll think of something else along the way.” He took another bite from his dry meat.
Mario shrugged his shoulders and walked around. “Let us hope getting back to Tortuga will be easier,” he said looking over his shoulder to Thomas.
He only nodded to Mario and didn’t say a word.
Around sunset, Thomas heard the sound of the seagulls in the distance. Any doubt whether they were close to land was washed away instantly.
As soon as darkness had fallen again, Thomas and Mario waited patiently until Vaughn would get them out. Patient might not be the right word. There was some excitement in the both of them as well.
At last, the hatch was opened and Vaughn waited for them to come out.
No one spoke when they arrived on deck. Thomas looked around and saw of course Vaughn and Bradford, but also other men of the crew who he had seen before.
Thomas turned to Vaughn. “What are these men doing here?”
“They make sure we are not interrupted. You said you didn’t want anyone see you leave.”
“True, but did you pay them enough to keep their mouth shut?”
Vaughn smiled and put a hand on Thomas’ shoulder. “Don’t worry, they won’t tell anyone. Your secret is safe.”
Thomas turned around to see the shore, but the sky was overcast.
He looked to his left and noticed Mario was looking over the rail to something below.
“Here.”
Thomas turned back. Vaughn showed him a couple of shirts.
“I suppose, if you don’t want to attract any more attention, you’d better change your rags for fresh clothes, don’t you think?”
Thomas looked down his own shirt. Vaughn was right. It was torn in several places and dirty. The cut on his left arm was still healing but the stain on his sleeve had not been washed out yet and was a reminder of what had happened.
With a smile he accepted the shirt, took off his old one and put on the new one. The other clean shirt he gave to Mario.
“Come on, we need to hurry, if you still want to leave,” Vaughn said, pushing him friendly in the right direction.
Thomas arrived at the ladder and looked down where a small longboat waited for them.
Thomas looked up when the captain joined next to him. “Sale Trou, like you asked,” he said, nodding at the invisible land in the distance. “You’re sure you want to go?”
Thomas looked back at him. “Yes, we have to unfortunately,” he replied sadly.
Captain Bradford lay a hand on his shoulder. “No time to waste then. Let us go.” He turned around and started to climb down the steps of the ladder.
Mario stood next to Thomas and looked down the ladder. Vaughn invited him with a gesture of his arm to climb down as well. It didn’t take him long to do that.
Thomas watched his friend as he got into the longboat.
“Well,” Vaughn asked when Thomas was still standing next to him, “what are you waiting for?”
Thomas looked up from the longboat to Vaughn’s face. “Nothing…,” he said avoiding his gaze.
Vaughn didn’t know what to think of it, but then an idea occurred to him. “You don’t trust us, do you?”
Thomas decided to say nothing.
“There is really no reason for us to deliver you two at Port Royal. None at all. Not after all the things you did for us. You have heard Richard too.”
Thomas frowned at him. “Who?”
“You know, Bradford. We know each other for a long time, we’re good friends so…”
“Yes, I’ve noticed.”
Vaughn leaned in. “Don’t tell him, will you?”
“I won’t have the chance,” Thomas said, finally with smile.
“He only wants his friends to know his name. for all the rest, he’s Captain Bradford. I know it’s strange, but that’s who he is.”
“Of course…Francis.”
Vaughn looked carefully at him. “Where did you hear that?”
Thomas shrugged. “Well, when you’re in there,” nodding his head to the hatch behind him, ”you pick up a thing or two.”
Francis laughed. “Sure you do. But you’re allowed to say it.”
“What an honor,” Thomas joked.
A shout from the boat reached them. “Hey, what’s taking you so long?”
Francis looked down and shouted back. “We’ll be right there!” Then he turned back to Thomas.
“He’s getting nervous.”
“So am I.”
Francis smiled amused. “You’re ready?”
Thomas took a slow, deep breath and gave him a nod.

~

When they were half way towards the land, Thomas a little closer to the captain sitting at the bow and overseeing the shore in front of them.
“Captain?”
“Hmmm?”
“There is still something I don’t understand. Why were you carrying so much gold?”
“Why do you think? We left Europe to find a better life here. Well, that didn’t work out.”
“I see. Not the start you had planned for you and your family…”
The captain shook his head and turned his eyes to the shoreline again.
Thomas felt this was the end of their short conversation and didn’t ask more.
A sudden thud below the longboat told them they had reached the shore. Thomas with some others made work of getting the boat out off the water. Meanwhile the captain walked a few paces on the sand and looked to the inland areas further away. Some lights could be seen in the far distance, the rest was only darkness. Vaughn told the men to light a couple of torches to be able to see something.
Thomas stepped up next to the captain, the glow of the starting flames behind them.
“I know this still must sound very strange coming from me, but I’m really sorry you all had to …”
Captain Bradford cut him off. “I know you did your best. You saved all of us, except for one. You couldn’t help for what happened to Jim.”
He kept looking in the direction of the lights but then, unexpected, the captain turned to him.
“Thomas, you’ve proven to be a good man. And anyone who dares to defy that will have to go through me.”
“Thank you, Captain Bradford.”
“Richard. Good friends call me Richard.”
Thomas felt flattered and found it difficult to find his words.
“Thank you…Richard, for…all your help.”
The captain smiled friendly back to him. “Don’t mention it. As said before, you did even more for us.”
His words kept sounding so unreal to him. “It’s the first time we get acknowledgement for what we try to do.”
“And you deserve it.”
The captain patted Thomas on his shoulder and went back to his men.
“So, what now,” Mario asked next to him.
“I think, we’d better go to Fesle, get some horses and ride north to Port-de-paix.”
“How long do you think-?”
“Thomas!”
A shout cut Mario off.
“Wait,” he said to Mario. Vaughn walked up to them with their weapons in his hands.
“I believe these are yours, isn’t it?”
He handed each their pistols, knives and swords.
Mario grinned. “Sí, gracias.
“I hope you don’t have to use these again.”
“We will try not to.”
The captain, holding a torch now, joined Vaughn. “Take this. Some supplies to get you two going.” He handed a small package to Thomas. “So, this is it then?”
Both nodded.
“You know where to go from here,” Vaughn asked.
“Yes, we do,” Thomas said. “First we go to Fesle. You can see the lights across the river there. We will have to find horses and go up north.”
“Back to Tortuga.”
Thomas nodded in silence.
“We wish you all the best. And I do hope you will find a way to get rid of that tyrant captain of yours. It would be better for all.”
“I couldn’t agree more.”
“And I meant what I said earlier. Should you need any help, of any kind, my door and ship will always be open for you.” The captain turned to Mario. “For you too. You didn’t make it easy on us at the beginning, but I’ve noticed you’re not so bad as you pretend to be. So you’re welcome as well.”
“Thank you, we appreciate it. But as you are headed for Port Royal,” he glanced at Mario, “we’d better stay away from there as long as we are on the list for most wanted pirates.”
“I understand. Only in due time, of course.”
For Mario, saying goodbye had lasted long enough.
Vamos, Thomas. We need to go now.” Mario nodded a smile to Vaughn and the captain to thank them. He turned around and started walking away from them.
“Euh…yes, I’m coming.” He shrugged his shoulders to show them he didn’t understand his friend either. “It’s who he is. Spanish temperament.”
“You can say that again,” Vaughn said with a grin.
“Good luck,” Richard said while shaking Thomas’ hand. “To both of you.” The captain turned around and walked back to his ship.
Vaughn also reached out his hand. “From me as well.”
Thomas watched as the two men went back to the longboat where the others were waiting for them. He sighed and turned around to join Mario.
When Thomas had reached his friend, he grabbed his arm and turned him around.
“Why did you do that?”
“Do what?”
“Be unfriendly to them. After everything they’ve done for us.”
Mario looked into the distance.
“They have helped us to get here, Mario.” He grabbed a hand full of his own shirt. “They gave us these and took care of us. The least we can do, is show them some respect.”
Mario pulled his arm free.
“I do not want to lose more time.” He stared walking.
Thomas watched him. “Well, unlikely to you, I’m not so eager to go back, to be honest.”
Mario turned. “You should. You know what Valdez will do.”
“Doesn’t mean I like it,” Thomas said just load enough.
“More enough reason for us to move on then.”
Mario started walking again. Thomas sighed and his shoulders dropped. He shook his head and trotted behind his friend.

Night was coming to an end. The first light was gradually showing at the horizon, but it was still a while before dawn.
Mario didn’t feel for speaking anymore since they had left the beach. Thomas assumed it was not because he was angry at him. He was probably just as much lost in his thoughts as he was.
He couldn’t help but think of what would happen when he returned. He could already imagine Valdez blaming him for not doing what he had promised. He didn’t bring back a ship. He didn’t bring back the money. And like Mario had said, this was not the first time. If the captain would add all those things up, he will know what his true intentions are. Where his loyalty lied.
Deep inside, Thomas feared he might have done this just one too many times. Valdez was going to make him pay. There was no doubt about that. But at least the people he and Mario had saved would live. The rest didn’t matter to him.
That was not completely true, he had to admit. Something did matter to him. Someone.
His mind drifted back to that evening, already about a year ago.
It was not often Valdez agreed on making port in Tortuga, with the Brethren of the Coast watching his every step. He hated them and they hated him, but all they could do was ignore each other’s presence. Everybody could feel the tension when Valdez was in town, however no one would try something. It was a strange but mutual respect between the two parties. And that worked, for the moment.
It was on one of those evenings, when Valdez and all of his men had gathered at the well-known inn, the Crossed Swords, to celebrate their latest victory. And celebrating they did. The whole night they drank, they sang, they danced and shouted until they were hoarse. And then they started all over again.
A night without ending.
Thomas had been celebrating too. Not as vivid as the others, but calm and on his own. He didn’t celebrate their victories. He was just happy he had survived another year under Valdez’ tyranny. He drank to the people who had seen a chance to escape and thought of those who didn’t.
It was bitter to see everybody else dancing and laughing to the misery they had created. Even Mario.
When Thomas had told him how he thought about his behaviour, after everything he stood for, Mario had explained to him that it was different for him. He didn’t care if he was celebrating the lives or deaths of all the people they had attacked. He was just happy. Genuinely happy. For what they had achieved the past year, not how they had done it. The fact they had been so victorious was reason for him to celebrate and relax. And he told Thomas to do the same. He told him to let go of the feelings behind those victories. To not only see the bad side of what they did.
Thomas didn’t know how to do that. To let go of the pain and sorrow they had caused to others for their own good. To forget the terror in their eyes. Of every man, every woman, every child they came across.
He couldn’t and he wouldn’t. Too much had happened to him since he had involuntarily joined the crew of the Aquila. It had changed him who he was, how people saw him. They made him a murderer. A ruthless killer with no mercy.
But he wasn’t. People only believed that because they knew Valdez. His reputation was known all over the world and everybody associated with him had to be as foul, as wicked, as cruel as he was.
And for some this was true, but not for him. And not for Mario either. He would probably deny it but Thomas knew he was just as kind-hearted as he was. There had been others in the crew where Thomas had seen the same conviction. Who hadn’t chosen this life either and wanted to make the best out of it. Tried to do good instead of evil.
Those others had been long gone. Valdez had made that happen.
When Mario had noticed that Thomas was clearly not in the mood at all, he decided to leave him with his drink and went back to the others, despite what his friend thought of him.
Thomas played passively with his drink. He didn’t know what he was doing there. He thought of leaving. No one would really notice he was gone.
He decided he could better go. He took a last swing from his cup and stood up from his seat.
“Honey, can you go and clean that mess at the table in the back?!”
“I’m on it, Em!”
The young, female voice behind him made Thomas turn around.
He almost bumped into her when she tried to pass him.
She had long dark blond hair, her lips were small and she had the most beautiful dark brown eyes he had ever seen.
She took a cloth from behind the bar and went past him again to clean the table far in the back.
Thomas watched her and kept watching. He felt like bewitched. He could not stop looking at her.
The whole room was still full with people, but he only saw her.
From time to time she lifted her head and looked in his direction but she never really saw him. She was so occupied with her task and keeping an eye on the room full of people.
He wondered why he had not seen her before, each time he and the rest of the crew had come to the inn.
His feeling told him he had to walk up to her and say something. Get to know her.
And then she was gone. Briggs had pulled at his arm, turned him around and told him, in his too drunken state he was in, to share with him and the others at the table.
When Briggs dragged him away, he looked over his shoulder and tried to find her again, but she had disappeared.
The rest of the evening he tried to see her, but for some reason she didn’t show up anymore. Probably she was needed in the kitchen or something else.
And as he was so overwhelmed by his drunken comrades, he didn’t always have the time to look for her.
At the end, when he and the rest left the inn, he got one last glimpse of her standing behind the bar and that was the last he had seen from her since then.

After a while they reached the river after which lay the small town of Fesle.
It was still too dark to see. The water was calm but without light it was not even clear if it was safe.
Thomas went over to the side of the river and looked down. He couldn’t see the bottom at all. He took a step forward and put his left boot into the water.
“What are you doing,” Mario asked;
“What does it look like,” Thomas said over his shoulder.
He put his other boot into the water. To his surprise it was not so deep yet, but he still couldn’t see the bottom.
He took another step forward and then felt how unlevelled the bottom actually was. It gradually stooped down as he kept wading away from the riverbank.
He could feel the pebbles and dirt moving beneath his feet. After another step, the water rushed into his boots.
Thomas turned around to look at his friend.
“Be prepared to get your feet wet,” he said playful.
Mario signed and rolled with his eyes. Then he reluctantly stepped into the water behind his friend.
When the water rushed in his boot as well, he shouted surprised. “It’s cold!”
Thomas turned to him with a grin. “Really? Who would have thought that,” he said sarcastic.
Soon, Mario had caught up with him and together they moved on. The further they went, the stronger the current was, even while it was still such a calm river.
“It keeps going down here,” Mario said behind him.
Thomas stopped and made an estimation of what was still to come.
“I know. We’d better carry our provisions above our heads or we’ll have nothing left of it.”
“Good idea,” Mario replied.
With their packs lifted up they continued wading deeper into the stream.
At a certain point they were so deep, the water reached their chests and the current tried to sweep them off their feet from time to time. It was not easy for the both of them, but when they finally passed the middle of the river, they noticed how the ground started to rise again.
At last, they reached the other side of the river and got out of the water. Their feet, trousers and shirts were completely soaked.
Sitting on the grass, they took off their boots and poured out the contents back in the river.
“Now, earlier,” Mario said putting his boots back on, “I asked you how long it will take to get back .”
Thomas was wringing his shirt. “Well, it depends on how fast we can find horses.”
, about that.” There was hesitation in his voice. “Can we try something else? Get a cart or find a ship maybe?”
Thomas frowned. “Why? It’s the fastest way.”
Mario looked down. “I do not like horses,” he said quiet.
Thomas tested his shirt but it was still too wet. “I’m certain that won’t be a problem. We’ll find one that fits you,” he said smiling.
“No, I mean…it is that…” Mario sighed loud. “I can not ride a horse.”
Thomas looked up from his work and lifted an eyebrow. “Oh. I didn’t know that.”
Mario turned away from him. “I never learned it.”
“Not even when you were in Spain?”
“No, nunca,” he replied, a little annoyed.
Thomas put his shirt back on and walked over to him.
He felt sorry for his friend. “Well, if it helps you, it has been a very long time for me so I think we can say we’re the same at that point.”
Mario turned his eyes to him. “But you can ride.” Then a light went up. “Can we find one horse and I sit behind you?”
Thomas couldn’t help but grin. “No, we can’t,” he said walking away. He picked up his belongings.
Mario stood up. “It wouldn’t even cost as much,” he tried.
Thomas shook his head. “I know, but it’s not possible. The double weight would only slow us down.”
He started walking away in direction of the town.
Mario kept standing where he stood, thinking. Suddenly his head went up. “Wait!” He ran after him. “I didn’t eat that much lately!”
Thomas stopped walking and laughed. “Mario, that’s not what I meant.” He turned to him. “We’d be overloaded for one horse, considering the distance we have to travel.”
Mario’s shoulders dropped in disappointment and he looked at his feet.
“I’m sorry,” Thomas said putting a hand on his shoulder. “I’ll do my best to find you the most calm and gentle animal.”
His friend grinned. “You mean, I will find it myself.” He looked up. “You know we are on French land.”
Thomas frowned and realised it as well. “You’re right…any English speaker will be suspicious to them…” He sighed.
It was Mario’s turn to laugh as he knew the solution for that. He put his hand on Thomas’ shoulder.
“Then I suppose it is good you have me.”

By the time the sun was rising slowly above the horizon, they reached the border of the town.
“Finally,” Thomas said relieved.
“And it is getting light.” Mario elbowed him. “Vamos.”
He walked away firmly. Thomas didn’t.
“Wait,” he shouted.
Mario stopped in his tracks and turned. “Qué?
Thomas put his hands in his sides and looked around. “Don’t you think we should hide our weapons first? It will be more convincing if we want to look like lost travellers in search for transport.”
“What do you propose? We leave our things here?”
“Yes, we leave our things here,” Thomas said while lifting the baldric over his head, “and when we have the horses we come back to pick them up.”
Mario walked back to him. ”I don’t feel good about that. What if we are attacked?”
“Attacked? These people are said to be peaceful,” he said putting the rest of his weapons on the ground. “Why would they attack us?”
“Why not? This is French land, but it used to be Spanish, you know. They have been fighting over this for decades.”
“You’re afraid they’ll recognise you?”
“They don’t like my kind any better then your kind.”
“True,” Thomas had to admit.
Mario grinned. “But my French is better than yours.” He took one of his pistols in his hand. “I might be able to talk us out of it.”
“Sure you can, without holding them at gunpoint.”
Thomas grabbed the pistol his friend was holding and picking up all his weapons, he went to some bushes on the side. He kneeled down and put the items deep under the bushes. When done, he searched around. He picked up three stones nearby and arranged them in a circle. Each stone touching the other two.
“This way we’ll know where they are.”
He stood up again and looked over to Mario.
His friend rolled with his eyes but nevertheless started to remove the rest of his weapons too. When he was hiding them, Thomas watched the horizon. “What do you say if we eat a little first, until the sun is up?”
Mario looked up to the horizon too. “Fine by me.”
They sat down, opened the package they had gotten from Bradford and enjoyed their meal in silence.
They had at least one day of travel ahead of them and they had to hurry if they wanted to be on time in Tortuga.
When the sun was high enough, they decided to move on. They reached the border of the town and saw only one main street. For the rest, there were some houses scattered around in no specific pattern.
They started walking through the main street and looked around. All houses were dark and empty. They kept walking until the middle of the street and turned around.
“Seems no one is here,” Mario said.
“That’s strange, I always thought this was a thriving place.”
Both of them gazed over the empty town. They couldn’t understand why no one was there.
“Why would they leave?”
Mario lifted his shoulders.
Despite the fact the town seemed deserted, Mario couldn’t shake the feeling he was being watched. He turned around and looked at the houses around them. Instantly he grabbed for one of his pistols but of course it wasn’t there. In silence he blamed Thomas for that.
Sometimes he thought he saw a movement behind a window or a door close quietly. But then, it could be the wind as well. He couldn’t tell for sure.
“We should have brought our things,” he whispered firmly to Thomas.
“What for?”
“Somehow I have the feeling were are not alone.”
“Why do you think that?”
“Can’t tell. It’s strange here.”
A thought crossed Thomas’ mind. “But didn’t we see the lights up here when we were at the coast?”
His friend looked up at him. “Now you mention it,.”
“There must be definitely somebody around here then.” He turned around. “I’m going back to the other side, to see if we missed something.”
Mario went after him when a sound made him stop.
Far away, somewhere behind his back, he could hear a clinging sound. Then again. And a third time.
Then there was a long silence.
He turned to where the sound had come from and kept listening but it had stopped completely.
He shook his head. When he started to believe he had dreamed it, he went over to Thomas.
And then he heard it again.
“Thomas! Ven aquí!
He friend turned around to face him.
“Come here!”
A little annoyed, Thomas walked back. “What is it?”
“Listen.”
He pricked his ears and listened carefully but didn’t hear anything.
“What am I supposed to hear?”
“Wait.”
Thomas kept listening, but a little less interested. Mario on the other hand seemed more exited, but he didn’t know why.
“There it is again,” Mario said, whispering but still excited as he was.
Now Thomas could hear it too. It was vaguely familiar. The sound of metal on metal.
Then it hit him.
“A blacksmith,” both he and Mario said surprised when each of them figured it out.
Mario nodded. “Let us find out where it comes from,” he said starting out in the direction of the sound.

Next chapter: "Thieves of the sea
© Copyright 2011 Eye on the horizon (sj-tots at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1817705-Thieves-of-the-sea