*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1817809-Boy-with-a-Coin
by Lain
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1817809
A girl looking for a purpose in life, and a boy with a coin who has all the answers.
Once upon a time, there was a girl who didn’t know what she wanted. She wandered the countryside aimlessly until one day she met a boy. This boy had a coin in his hand and it seemed to be leading him forward, almost tugging. The girl was fascinated and envious. Having never known the strong pull of destiny she longed for the feeling of resolve the boy seemed to be possessed with. “Please may I hold your coin, even for just a moment?” She asked desperately. The boy just shook his head and continued down his path. Devastated the girl began to cry. She stayed there in that spot on the ground all night crying. When dawn arrived she paid it no mind, still feeling sorry for herself. The once empty and silent path slowly began filling with people going to and fro.

This was simply too much for the girl to bear and she staggered to her feet. Even the simple country folk had a purpose and she had nothing. Her body swayed with the sudden motion and she stumbled into a cart. Instead of it toppling over the girl went right through it. The farmer didn’t even spare her a glance, and kept walking forward as if nothing had happened. Astounded the girl began examining her body. Surely there must be a mark or some other explanation imprinted into her skin. There was nothing. It was then the girl realized this entire time she had once again been sitting in the middle of the road. The people passing by were not walking around her, but rather through her. They were unable to see her. She was at a loss and once again wanted nothing more than to sit and cry, however the image of the boy fluttered through her mind. ‘It must have been him’ she thought. Instantly she knew that to become visible once more she must find the boy and his coin. Dusting herself off, even though dust too just went right through her, she began walking down the path in the direction she had seen the boy vanish. Even though he had an entire night’s head start she knew what she must do. She traveled all day and eventually became accustomed to people walking through her. Although it was still very much sad in her opinion it had become simply the way things were.

The girl noticed that even though she had been walking all day her legs never tired, her throat was never parched, her stomach never complained at the lack of sustenance. ‘Perhaps I’m not simply invisible. Maybe I’m a ghost. Does this mean that boy killed me? Oh heavens I hope not.’ Her determination was strengthened and her pace quickened. The sooner she found him the better. It simply wouldn’t do to be stuck this way. She followed the path all night long not having to stop once. At daybreak she noticed the silhouette of a sleeping boy on the banks of a pond. Glee filled her heart and she broke into a run towards the figure. Her body almost couldn’t contain the joy it felt when she recognized the boy as the one from the day before. How was she supposed to wake him though? Better yet, how was she supposed to get him to help her? That’s when the glittering of the coin in his hand caught her eye. It must be the coin, she was sure of it. She reached for it and was startled when the boy’s hand closed around it and his eyes opened slightly.

“Taking what isn’t yours won’t make anything better.” He said slyly. “You can see me! Oh, you must understand. I wasn’t intending to steal it. It’s just that I’ve been invisible since we last met and I was sure that it was your coin that had done this. I just wanted to have my life back.” Her face was flushed and her words ran together. The boy sat up, straightening his hat and brushing grass off his coat before answering. “Are you sure you want your old life back? From what I saw you were just wandering around aimlessly. Had you been content with your life as it was then you wouldn’t have turned invisible to start with. Obviously you’re seeking something more. Perhaps you should stay invisible a bit longer.” “No!” She yelled. Fresh tears were forming in her eyes and she had to fight to keep them from spilling over. “I don’t want to be invisible. It’s been dreadful.”

“Has it really?” He asked smiling. “So you’re saying you didn’t enjoy the rush of adrenaline when you saw me on the shore? You didn’t like the determination that kept you walking all night? Isn’t that what you wanted the coin for in the first place? To give you purpose?”

The girl was astounded. He was right. All the things she had been wanting had happened without her even realizing it. “You’re right. I did enjoy having a purpose, but now that I understand what that means I don’t need to be invisible to have it.” She said slowly tasting each word before it left her tongue. “That all I needed to hear darling.” The boy pulled her close pushing their lips together. Her entire body tingled with energy and she felt something round and heavy being placed in her hand. The coin. “So what will you do now?” The boy asked after the kiss ended. “Isn’t that obvious?” she said smiling before gently brushing her lips against the boy's. “I fully intend to keep you in my grasp. Call it a purpose if you will.” Their lips entwined and the coin fell into the grass. The girl didn’t need it after all.
© Copyright 2011 Lain (lain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1817809-Boy-with-a-Coin