*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1817875-I-Love-Him-Anyway
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1817875
Playing with the point of view, I suppose. (Yet to be polished.)
Silently I watch as he finishes tying up his laces. I wish I knew how to make him stay.  He doesn't even look at me as he stomps around. I know I seem indifferent to his presence but it's an act; I love him. It's hard to admit but harder to try not loving him. Sitting next to him I feel so small and inferior. Finally he glances at me but a scowl appears. I huff quietly trying to mimic his sour mood but all I want to do is apologize. He mustn't have liked the present I got him, one day I'll get it right. It's just the two of us and as he pauses the air is still.

I know he's just trying to clear his head but I can't stop hoping he'll scoop me up into his strong arms. He's always so warm and there's nothing I like more than cuddling up close to him but he complains that I hog all of the bed.

He starts walking towards the door with keys in hand. I leap from the chair following after him with a cry. He doesn't even falter in his stride. I cry out to him to stay, we could cuddle up watching a movie. Why must he leave me? I start to run towards the door as he starts to swing it shut. It slams right in front of my face, the deadlock sliding home welcoming the heart wrenching silence to the house.

I don't know what to do. There's no telling how long he'll be gone for, or whether he'll even return to me. I pace back and forth by the door as I hear his car's engine fade into the distance. The clock ticks sluggishly as I wait, hoping beyond hope that he'll change his mind and come back through the door.

It becomes hard to stay standing by the door and keep my eyes open. I make my way into our bedroom lethargically. The bed smells of him and I collapse on it. A sliver of sunlight plays across my face as I start to doze off. The day seems to stretch on for eternity as I wait for him. There's no purpose for me without him here.

The sound of the front door opening has me throwing myself off the bed. I try not to let it show how much I missed him but it's impossible to not give a squeak of delight as I see him standing in the doorway. He smiles at me and everything seems okay.

"Sorry I was gone for so long, but I brought dinner."

It's impossible not to forgive him. We walk together to the kitchen and I watch him lovingly as he prepares our dinners. Maybe there's hope for us yet. I know after this he'll plop down on the couch and let me sit in his lap.  A smile of my own creeps onto my face as I think of being able to curl up in his arms again soon. My dinner is placed down in front of me and he laughs as I devour it quickly.

Licking my lips I look up at him and he grins.

"You're such a good girl," he scratches behind my ear and I purr rubbing against his hand.

I strut after him into the lounge room and take my place in his lap. As he runs his fingers through my fur, I know that he's all mine. I purr contently then meow nuzzling my face against him. He may be a silly human at times but he's my silly human and I love him anyway.
© Copyright 2011 Lurking Shadow (lurking_shadow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1817875-I-Love-Him-Anyway