*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1819157-Trapped
Rated: 18+ · Script/Play · Drama · #1819157
I believe this has ended. Please, be kind and review. I want to know if it ended abruptly.
{footnote:#}Trapped

Act 1 Scene 1

The lights come up on a girl’s dorm room. She is sleeping when a voice suddenly awakens her.

Voice: Hello.

Janet: What the fuck was that?

Voice: It’s me.

Janet: (looks around) Who’s me?

Voice: God.

Janet: Very funny, Henry. You can come out whenever you’re ready.

Voice: It’s not Henry. Henry’s asleep in his own room.

Janet: Oh. God?

Voice: Yes, Janet. It’s God.

Janet: Holy shi-…I mean, sorry, you know my name.

Voice: I am God.

Janet: I got that the first three times…I think.

Voice: I heard you needed some help.

Janet: So you just chose to appear for my sake? God, I must be high. Someone drugged me while I was sleeping or else…this is some effed up dream.

Voice: It’s neither. Your system is clear of any drugs and you are wide awake. I bet your roommate is going to knock on your door to ask who you’re talking to. 10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2...1 (knock)

Janet: (looks nervous but gets up and speaks through the door) Who is it?

Rachel: Your roommate. I want to know who in the hell you’re screaming at in there. I’m still trying to sleep.

Janet: Oh, sorry. I was having a very vivid dream.

Rachel: Well, okay. Just keep it down, if you can. (exits)

Act 1 Scene 2

Still in Janet’s dorm.

God: Janet, I am here to help you. Now, tell me what’s been bothering you.

Janet: Don’t you already know what’s been bothering me? After all, you are God.

God: Maybe it’s better if I hear it from you directly.

Janet: Fine. I feel trapped all the time.

God: How so?

Janet: I feel trapped inside this body. I can’t make myself enjoy, like or whatever…I just don’t like being a woman.

God: All right. Go on.

Janet: It’s hard to say it out loud. I’m afraid it’s going to sound so stupid.

God: I already know it, but it would be nice to hear you say it. Go on.

Janet: Fine, I feel trapped because I think I was destined to be a gay man. Yes, I said it. A gay man.



Act 1 Scene 3

Janet now sits in the living room of the dorm.

God: Don’t you feel better, Janet?

Janet: Sure…

God: Why the hesitation? This is what you’ve been feeling for some time now, correct?

Janet: Yes it is. I just know that it’s impossible, because a sex change operation isn’t exactly that cheap.

God: Oh, so it’s about money.

Janet: No, that’s not even it. It’s about passion.

God: (encouraging) Go on.

Janet: The passion between two men kissing on the street is far beyond the scope of my imagination! I see that and I’m like a drooling dog. I see a straight couple and I think “get a room.”

God: Is that all?

Janet: Well, I suppose it has to do with the fact that my luck in the relationship department hasn’t changed. Thanks for that by the way.

God: (laughs) Janet, there is something you need to understand. I may have a path in mind for you, but that doesn’t mean it’s the one you have to take. I want what’s good for you and if I have to shove you here and there to get you back on track I will. I do this with everyone else too, but truthfully, I wish for people to find their own path, their own destiny.

Janet: That’s news. Thanks.

God: You’re being distant.

Janet: Ha! God just told me I’m being distant. That’s hilarious. You don’t understand.

God: Perhaps I do. You like men, right? (Janet nods) And yes, I know you are curious about women, but mainly you like men.

Janet: Go on.

God: Did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason you feel as if you should be a gay man is because the idea of two men together excites you?

Janet: Wow. That’s blunt, God and a bit embarrassing, but I guess you already know the answer to the question.

God: I do, but I think there is more.



Act 1 Scene 4

Lights come up on a campus library. We meet Henry, Janet’s best friend since she started college.

Janet: So in theory…(she slams the book down)

Henry: What is the matter with you?

Janet: I just don’t understand the book. Theories are annoying because they are only pent up fantasies that people wish were their reality.

Henry: Well, put that in your paper.

Janet: Thanks, genius.

Henry: Hey, it’s good advice!

Janet: Yes, yes it is. I’m just distracted.

Henry: No shit.

Janet: Seriously, Henry. (Leans closer to him then makes sure no one is paying attention) I think I’ve lost it. As in I need to be checked into a mental institution lost it.

Henry: Okay, Janet…what’s wrong?

Janet: I’ve been hearing a voice. (Pauses) God’s voice.

Henry: Are you sure it wasn’t one of those crazy dreams you usually have?

Janet: There was no way this was a dream, Henry. But forget about it. (Getting up) I don’t want to talk about it anymore.

Henry: Don’t go. (grabs her hand to hold her back) Let’s just get back to studying.

Janet: Fine.



Act 1 Scene 5

Lights come up in a classroom. Janet has stayed behind to finish up some work.

God: I heard you talking with Henry.

Janet: Of course you did. Can you leave me alone? I’m trying to do some work.

God: We haven’t finished our talk.

Janet: I say we’re finished so please just stop talking to me. Go about your business being silent like you always had been.

God: (sounds like a parent) Janet.

Janet: What?

God: I’m here to help you.

Janet: Well, you aren’t doing a good job, because I was well on my way to getting the thoughts out of my head until you started talking.

God: I am here to help you.

Janet: Geez, don’t get angry. I don’t want to see that supposed wrath of yours. But seriously, I just need to do this work.

God: Janet, listen to me.

Janet: (puts down pen) Fine.

God: I want to help you.

Janet: You said that already…why do you want to help me? It’s not like you can ma-(sudden realization) Wait! You’re here to help me.

God: Thank you!

Janet: You could…oh my! Why didn’t I think of this before! You could make...me a-

God: Gay man.

Act 1 Scene 6

Lights come up on a coffee shop. It’s where Janet works.

Janet: Here you are. One mocha frap, no whip for you.

Customer: Thank you. (exits)

Janet: Hey, I’m going to take my break now.

The manager: Go ahead, Janet!

Janet: (walks outside to sit at one of the tables, just to relax in the night air)

God: So any further thoughts…

Janet: You sure are persistent, God.

God: I need you to be certain.

Janet: Oh, I’m certain.

God: Are you sure?

Janet: Yes, I am. I already told you I don’t like being a woman.

God: You do know which I am terribly sorry for…but you do know the world that homosexuals face right? You’ve studied as much as you possibly could?

Janet: I know enough of it and frankly I don’t care about those people.

God: You realize you put your life in danger if you do this. Or you could put your life in danger. I am not saying that people wouldn’t be sympathetic and accepting, because there are those out there.

Janet: (confused) Are you trying to dissuade me from doing this?

God: I just want to make sure you’re positive about this.

Janet: I am. It’s not that hard of a decision. If this is the chance at a better life, I’m going to take it. And it’s coming from God? What could be the harm?

God: I see. Well, then. There are some preliminaries we should work out. First: We need to come with a name. Second: We need to make sure to fit you in the family you already have. Thirdly: I need your whole hearted consent to this. I will be returning to you if and when I see fit.



Act 1 Scene 7



Janet's room again

Janet: All right. I've made my decision. My name is going to be Zachary Henderson.

God: Fine. That’s great. I was thinking you could just be Mike Smith or something.

Janet: (laughs) Really? You’re God and you can’t be more creative than that?

God: I was just trying to find something simple so that this would go easy.

Janet: Thanks. But I like Zachary Henderson.

God: I can tell. Zachary Henderson it is.

Act 2 Scene 1

Janet, rather, Zachary awakes in HIS dorm room. His roommate Jason Rowan, shirtless, is pounding on his door.

Jason: Dude! Get up! We’re gonna miss the game.

Zachary: (rolls around in bed) What the…? (Wakes up abruptly…begins touching himself…first his face…hair…jumps up…searches for the mirror. Finds it in hanging inside an armoire…he looks as if he hasn’t seen himself before…keeps touching himself until…yeah, he’s groping the package…) Holy shit…oh my God.

Jason: (knocking again) Seriously, get up, man! I want to see the game.

Zachary: (shakes it off, tries to act natural when opening door) Um, sorry, man. I was rolling out of bed. (continues to “act natural”)

Jason: Tell me, do you have that Hawkeye t-shirt your Mom sent you for your birthday? If you’re not wearing it, I want to wear it.

Zachary: (realizes just then he has no shirt on) Oh…(tries to keep from staring) let me look for it. (he really has no idea what Jason was talking about…looks for it…) Ah, here you go.

Jason: Well, you coming or not? I’m tired of waiting on your slow ass.

Zachary: Sure, (he’s fully dressed…in pajamas) I’ll go.

Jason: In that? Dude, what’s wrong with you? You’re totally out of it.

Zachary: Yeah, I’m certainly out of it. (suddenly something occurs to him) Where’s Henry?

Jason: Your study partner for that lit class you take?

Zachary: Yes, I think. Where is he?

Jason: Down the hall in room 215, but we’re headed over to room 206 to watch the game.

Zachary: Actually, you are. I’m going to go study with Henry. Hope the shirt comes in handy. (slams his door, Jason exits.) God, this is some scary shit. Wow. Breathe, Janet, brea-I mean, Zach, breathe. (calms himself) Henry can fix this. That is if God kept him in the story…oh, calm down. It’s all right, breathe. (gets proper clothes on, searches for that lit book and some papers, exits)

Act 2 Scene 2

Zach: (knocking on room 215’s door) Anyone there?

Henry: (answers) Oh, hey! What’s up? Thought you and Jason had a football game to watch.

Zach: He took my shirt and went without me. I’m good; anyway, I thought we would study. (He gestures to the things in his hands)

Henry: Now? Um, sure. I could use some help on this.

Zach: (can’t take it anymore) Okay, seriously, just tell me. Have we known each other since we were 12 years old?

Henry: Yes, Zach. Sudden amnesia? We’ve been friends for quite a long time. Is everything okay?

Zach: Yeah, no worries. Everything is good.

Henry: Okay, let’s get to that book then. (they get set at the table in the living room area to work)

Zach: (slams book down) Damn this theory! It’s just freaking pent up fantasies, geez…what’s the point of in practice or reality it is only something that we aim to work at? Makes no freaking sense. And theory about literature makes even less sense. Seems like a paradox if you ask me.

Henry: Once again, that is good material for your paper. You should really listen to yourself sometimes.

Zach: Ha, thanks. (confused for a minute…as memories flood back)

Henry: Hello? Where’d you go, dude?

Zach: (snaps out of it) Blanked for a minute. Totally zoned. Weird. (doesn’t want to explain further)

Henry: Did you party last night?

Zach: Nope, slept soundly until Jason’s knocking woke me.

Henry: All right, dude. But seriously, don’t really lose it on me now. Okay?

Zach: Yeah, sure thing.

Blackout, exit

Act 2 Scene 3

Zach’s dorm room; living room, Zach is sitting on the couch, reading.

Jason: (irritated) Here’s your damn shirt! We fucking lost.

Zach: (not caring about the shirt or game, but pretends) Ah, man, that fucking sucks. Hope the shirt helped a bit? (he looks up for an answer, a mistake…)

Jason: Yeah, whatever man…um, what’re you staring at?

Zach: (snaps out of it) Sorry, I’ve been zoning today.

Jason: Hmmm, okay whatever you say. Want a beer?

Zach: Um, no thanks. I’m good.

Jason: (plops down in the chair across from couch) So how’d the studying go?

Zach: (annoyed that he wants to make conversation) Wonderfully boring. I still don’t understand anything.

Jason: And now you know why I think studying is useless.

Zach: I meant that I didn’t understand it before so studying some more just didn’t help.

Jason: Oh. I see, I think. (gulps down almost half the beer) I’m going to and call someone. Maybe a party is happening. It’s too early to go to sleep.

Zach: (looks at his watch) 10 o’clock. I guess that’s early.

Jason: (overhears his whisper) For a Saturday night, it’s early, my man.

Blackout, both exit



Act 2 Scene 4

Zach has just found out that he should be working this glorious Sunday morning at a coffee shop that is down the street from the campus. He searches around his room for the uniform, gets dressed (quick set change to shop)

Zach: (glad everything came naturally) Here’s your mocha frap no whip.

Customer: Thanks.

Zach: Have a nice day.

Customer exits. Another comes in. Drew…oh, Drew Sinclair, athletically toned, specifically by that of soccer, brunette, blue eyes, dreamy as can be. Zach is instantly drawn to him…

Zach: Hi, how can I help you? (clears his throat)

Drew: Oh, um….hmmm, I just want something hot.

Zach: (afraid now that he has to speak more than usual…) Well, there’s hot chocolate. You can get a regular coffee. Our white chocolate mocha comes hot, the caramel macchiato too. Anything I’ve said sound good?

Drew: Yeah, the white chocolate mocha. I think I’ll try that. (Zach rings it up, Drew hands over the cash, Zach goes to make it…)

Zach: Here we are. White chocolate mocha.

Drew: Thanks, (glances at name tag) Zach. (exits)

Zach: (face shows all)

Wait 5 seconds then blackout, Zach exits.



Act 2 Scene 5



Lights up on the coffee shop. Zach is scolding the new girl who has become a very good friend. Drew sits at a corner table w/ a laptop. Janet has been Zach for 2 weeks now, meaning there is one week left before it is a month…

Zach: Shut up! Don’t look at me like that!

Helena: You should go and talk to him.

Zach: What the hell would I say?

Helena: I’d start with hi.

Zach: Plesae, don’t start with the sarcasm.

Helena: Just go over there. It’s weird enough that you don’t even work today and you’re here.

Zach: (acts as if that thought just occurred to him) Oh, really? And I thought you were the creep.

Helena: Go over there and talk to him before I wrung your neck.

Zach: Ah! She’s getting violent now. (Helena pushes him)

Helena: Besides I have to get back to work.

Zach: Fine. (he drags his feet over to Drew’s table, breathes as calmly as possible) You can do this. Okay, here goes. (at the table now) Hi, you’re Drew, right?

(Drew doesn’t hear him, headphones in his ears. Zach rolls his eyes as he notices them, taps Drew on the shoulder. Drew smiles and takes out the earphones.)

Zach: Hi, Drew, right?

Drew: Yeah, um, let me see if I can remember…you’re Zach?

Zach: Yeah, that’s right. I just wanted to say hi. (nervous)

Drew: Well, hi. Did you want to sit down? Unless you’re only on break?

Zach: No, no. I am not working today.

Drew: (laughs) Then why are you here?

Zach: Long story. Long story. But the short story is, I can’t get enough of this place.

Drew: Really?

Zach: Yes, it’s got good people and I think I’m addicted to the smell of coffee.

Drew: That seems…I don’t know…hmm (looks embarrassed, so Drew fumbles for something to say) No, no. I don’t mean to offend you. I guess it’s better to be addicted to the smell of coffee rather than the coffee itself. (chuckles)

Zach: Sorry, it’s okay. (not sure why Drew thought he was being offensive) I am just strange I guess. (shakes his head) Well, strange is not the right word. Confused is more like it.

Drew: I know the feeling. I’ve been confused ever since I came into this world.

Zach: Ha, I suppose everyone would feel that way. Possibly. Some people seem to have it together.

Drew: That’s what they would like you to think. To me a lot of things are illusions.

Zach: Hm. So there is no reality to you?

Drew: You want to have a philosophical conversation now? (smiles) I mean you make me coffee, we’ve said hello and goodbye to each other for the past week and now you want to have a conversation with me. (gives him a quizzical look)

Zach: (getting nervous again…) Well, I…sorry if I use well too much. It must be my favorite word today. I…just thought you could use some company and Helena, the new girl, you know, she had to back to work. I had no one to talk to, but you…

Drew: (laughed at his nervousness) Oh, I see. (looks at time on cell) I have to go to. I’m sorry to cut this short, but at 8pm tonight at The Chrome I’m reading some of my poems. Be there? It’s a date.

Zach: (bewildered for a second) Wait, what?

Drew: (grabs pen and paper, writes) The Chrome. 8pm. It’s a date!

Zach: (takes paper) Oh, all right. (Drew takes the paper back, Zach looks surprised)

Drew: My phone number. Just in case. (smiles, hand back paper, gathers stuff) Hope to see you there. (exit)

Zach: (sits there in awe till blackout)



Act 2 Scene 6



It’s Friday night 8pm at The Chrome. It’s a typical looking beatnik place where beat poetry is read among other writing. Drew is already there setting up with the manager, Zach soon appears.

Drew: (as soon as he notices Zach) Cindy, hold on. There’s someone I gotta talk to. Hey, Zach!

Zach: (turns himself around to see Drew smiling) Oh, hi. It took me some time to find the place, but here I am.

Drew: (takes him by the hand, practically dragging him) Here this is where you are going to sit. I reserved it for you.

Zach: Oh, thanks. (Zach still wasn’t sure what to think of this)

Drew: I’ll get us some drinks. What’ll like?

Zach: Oh, just water thanks. (Drinks wasn’t really on his mind, he was beginning to get really nervous again)

Drew: Okay, be right back. (goes to get drinks)

Zach: (looks around takes in the scenery and people mingling. He looks visibly nervous about this whole “date”)

Drew: Hey, are you okay? I swear you just saw a ghost.

Zach: Naw, I think I just need that water. (he reaches for the bottle of water, Drew extends it out for him, hands touch. Zach catches his breath and rips open the water the bottle, drinks.) Sorry, I’m just feeling a bit off tonight. I am usually not like this. (He seriously, has no idea what is going on)

Drew: Are you sure you’re not getting sick? I mean it’s all right if you need to go.

Zach: (hears the disappoint) No, no. I’ll be fine. I can make it through.

Cindy: Drew, we need you backstage! You got five minutes.

Drew: All right, I have to go. See you soon. (Drew gives him a kiss on the cheek. Zach finally realizes that this is happening…the guy actually, there seems to be relief on his face, but he can’t shake a strange feeling)

Cindy: Welcome everybody! Most of us have seen this guy perform and read for us before, but give a warm welcome to Drew Sinclair! (everyone claps)

Drew: Hi guys! I’ve been working on this poem for some time. It’s not much but here it is:



Drip

Drip, Drip-

The blood

It forms in puddles

Can’t

Peel my eyes

From its

Glistening texture

What did I do?

Did I really

Mean it?

It can’t

End this

Way, it

Wasn’t my

Choice

It was forced

This

World

This god forsaken

World

Didn’t want me

They wanted someone

Perfect,

They wanted…

They wanted

Something I

Couldn’t, wouldn’t

Give them

My wrists

Won’t stop,

I am only doing

What they wanted

What the people

Of the world

Want

One less

Homosexual

One less

Fat person

One less

Christian

One less

One less

Catholic, Muslim

One less

Part of everyone

I’m the very

Face of diversity

And the entire world

Aims to

Destroy me

It is all right

It is being

Done

Any minute

Now I will

Cease

To exist

…I wonder

How many people

Will actually

Notice that

There is no

Longer any, any

Respect for others

Without me

There once was, but

Can, can you believe

BELIEVE

That there will

Be any without

ME

Slowly, it seems

To happen

As if one by one

People are

Lined up

Taking blood

Drip,

Drip, Drip-

The blood

It forms in puddles

Can’t

Peel my eyes away…




(Drew ends with a daunting silence…then the applause interrupts; he takes a bow and exits backstage for a moment. This scene can be treated as an actual “performance” lights up and down kind of thing, as if The Chrome is really putting it on. Drew reappears amongst the tables and weaves his way towards Zach.)



Drew: Hello there.

Zach: That was really good.

Drew: Thanks.

Zach: So…are you in college?

Drew: Actually, no. I couldn’t pay for tuition anymore so I’ve tried to pick up freelance writing jobs for now and other jobs. Maybe someday I would be able to go back.

Zach: Yeah, hopefully. You’re really good.

Drew: Thanks again. So, you want to get out of here?

Zach: Sure.

Drew: (takes him by the hand again practically dragging him, they exit.)



Act 2 Scene 7

They are just on the hood of Zach’s car at Crowley Park. Luckily, it’s a clear night so the stars can be seen.

Drew: So, why did you really come into the shop on your day off?

Zach: I would have thought you had that figured out already.

Drew: (laughs) I have an idea and I’m glad you came in. I’ve been trying to figure out a way to speak to you besides ordering a coffee.

Zach: (jerks up and stares towards the “line of trees”) What was that?

Drew: I didn’t hear anything. Are you paranoid much?

Zach: Not really. I swore I just heard voices, besides ours.

Drew: (Drew moves closer to him) Maybe I can make you feel safer?

Zach: Oh, really?

(Drew’s fingers softly graze his cheek…they get closer and closer…kiss…they are interrupted by five guys who emerge from the “tree line.” Troy has a bat.)

Troy: So what’s this here, huh? Get up, you freaks!

Drew: Come on, dude. Don’t do this. (Both Drew and Zach get up from the hood of the car)

Troy: What is it you think I’m gonna do, you fags.

Ray: Yeah, fag. (He spits in Zach’s face. Zach stands there angry and wipes his face with his sleeve. Drew steps in front of Zach.)

Troy: Aw, the brave faggot is defending his poor little boyfriend…

Zach: Seriously, guys. You want money? I have money. Take my fucking wallet.

(Zach throws his wallet at their feet. Troy picks it up.)

Troy: You do have some cash on you.

(He stuffs it in his pockets, and then gestures to the two of them. Two guys grab Zach and hold him back. The other three surround Drew. The lights go out and all we hear is Zach screaming, No, stop. No! Stop it! Stop it! Please! We also hear Troy yelling, “that’s what you get, you fag. Back talking to me. The fight scene needs to be implied and heard rather than seen.)



Act 2 Scene 8



Lights up in a hospital room. Drew is in a coma. Zach sits in a chair a bandaged around his ribs and one black eye.

Zach: Good morning. I hope you can hear me…I guess this was the strange feeling. Somehow I feel like this was done purposely. (Zach looks up) That would be very mea-

God: (interrupts) Now, now. Don’t go blaming me.

Zach: Why not? It almost seems like you did it to change my mind.

God: No, I didn’t. I wouldn’t purposefully send someone to almost beat you and Drew to death.

Zach: You mean just almost beating Drew to death, right? Cause I’m sitting here looking pretty healthy in comparison.

God: I can see you’re very irritated. Should I come back later?

Zach: Why don’t we just get it over with now? It’s the last week isn’t it?

God: Yes, but I was going to give you till the end of it.

Zach: Mhmm.

God: Don’t blame me, Janet.

Zach: It’s Zach.

God: Are you sure?

Zach: Yes, I’m sure. It’s Zach.

God: Very well.



Zach: Very well? What does that mean? The first guy I was attempting to get to know gets beaten into a coma by some ignorant fucks and all you say is “very well.” How is that supposed to help me? Helping me would be bringing him out of this coma, but I’m sure you can’t do that. There’s a rule against it, probably…(pause, near tears). For the first time in my life, I feel like me! Janet is still there in my head, I still speak like her, act like her, but my sex is different. It’s still Janet, but…now, it’s Zach. And when Zach finally found someone who accepts that he is a little bit strange, always nervous and paranoid…he ends up in a coma.



God: (loudly) Maybe I should ask again. Are you sure it’s Zachary Henderson?

Zach: Yes! I have said that three times haven’t I?

Nurse: (enters room, confused as to who he’s yelling at) Hi, just came in for the routine check. Are you all righ-?

(The monitor begins making noise…doctor jargon. Zach looks paranoid, feels dizzy…he manages to hear God’s voice in the distant)

God:(louder) I ask again, are you sure it’s Zachary Henderson?

(Zach hears the question and the monitor beeping…the flat lining sound comes up in the distance)

God: (even louder) I ask again, are you sure it’s Zachary Henderson?

(Monitor flatlines)

Zach: Are you kidding me, God? (in tears)

God: (even louder booming voice) I ask again, are you sure it's Zachary Henderson?

Zach: Yes! That's my name! I'm no one else. I want this so much...I want a chance...(Zach moves out of the hospital room, a dim light is set upon him and Drew as the doctor's furiously rush to try and save his life) Please, God. This is what I want...let me stay with him even if...even if...he dies. What would be the point of this then God? Why would you change me then let it fail? This is who I am. Zachary Henderson. I want this chance...God, are you there?



(Monitor beeps signaling that Drew has been resuscitated)



Blackout w/beeping echo. End.










© Copyright 2011 Freethinker20 (freethinker20 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1819157-Trapped