*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1819193-The-Storm
Rated: E · Short Story · Environment · #1819193
A brother and sister in a stormy scene. One-Shot.
“The storm’s getting worse.” Elliot frowned, peering out of the window to his right.
“Well we’ve got to keep going!” Samantha cried, terrified of the raging storm outside of the warmth of their car.
“We’re not going to make it home in this weather.” Elliot sighed in exasperation. “The car won’t make it though.” Samantha glared at the dashboard and pounded her fist on it, only causing herself pain.
“We’ll walk then.” She suggested. Elliot couldn’t argue – what else could they do? The storm only seemed to be getting worse outside and it wasn’t very safe to wait it out. Together they exited the old, scratched up car and were met by fierce, powerful winds. Samantha struggled to stay upright even with the car for support. Elliot seemed to be having the same difficulties, but they managed to push to the front of the car where they linked arms. Samantha frowned as she was pelted by pieces of hail.
“This way!” Elliot yelled over the roar of the wind. Samantha nearly shrieked as she heard the first of the thunder, booming loudly from everywhere above. She felt wetness on her cheek and convinced herself that it was the rain. She didn’t want to admit to herself how terrified she was.
Samantha nearly choked on the water that joined her gasps of breath as she pushed forward through the storm, ignoring the agony as she was pelted with small rocks and hail that the wind thrust towards her.
“Come on!” Elliot shouted, his voice nearly inaudible under the boom of the thunder. Samantha didn’t reply, but instead quickened her walk into a slow jog, fighting against nature. Cold air slammed against her face and she found herself pulling her scarf up to cover her cheeks.
They had never expected this storm and hadn’t dressed too warmly, resulting in shivering and teeth-chattering. Samantha and Elliot made it beneath the tall trees in what looked like a forest, relieved in getting a little shelter from the chaos. The wind seeped through the spaces between the tall trunks and blasted them with more force than the wind out in the open.
The deceiving safety of the trees soon ended and Samantha and Elliot found themselves standing before a small clearing, the force of the storm intensifying. Huge pieces of hail smacked into Samantha, making her flinch and groan. She was sure that she’d have bruises.
Her urgency of getting home got stronger, and she felt herself pull slightly ahead of her older brother Elliot, staggering against the furious wind. She noticed that he had his mobile phone out and was holding up as he ran, apparently trying to get a signal. He struggled to hold it still without it being knocked out of his bare, shaking hand. Samantha knew that he wouldn’t get any service – they were too far from the road. She didn’t know where they were, but they had been running in the same direction the entire time, and that direction was towards home. Samantha could only silently pray that the storm wasn’t as bad there.
The wind and hail tormented them more as they hurried through the trees, taking routes to avoid lighting-struck areas. The thunder still boomed above them like an angry bull.
After nearly ten minutes pushing on through the storm in pain, the weather wasn’t getting any better. Elliot was horrified for their safety, but didn’t dare admit to his sister that he didn’t expect to get through this. Finally, Samantha couldn’t run anymore and collapsed into a heap on the wet grass, her thin, soaked jeans now getting muddy. After a moment of harsh yelling at her to get up, Elliot slumped down into a sitting position next to her, breathing heavily. His hair was tousled and messy and he was shaking under his long sleeved shirt, but the hail showed no mercy and continued to smash into him. Elliot’s running shoes were soaked and worn out, causing his feet to ache. His insides felt as if they were frozen and his skin was numb. Elliot’s eyes hurt and he shut them to stop the rain from going in his eyes.
Each time he opened his mouth something flew in, either a twig or a piece of hail flew in, making him choke. Elliot’s cheeks were wet with tears and not just rainwater. His phone wasn’t working and they were stranded out here, freezing, hurt, and isolated. Samantha shivered beside Elliot, shaking as if she were in an earthquake. Only, this was worse. Her lips were blue and bleeding in one place, and her skin was a deathly pale that worried Elliot. As the freezing, needling rain pounded down on his skull, Elliot clutched his sister’s hand tightly, opening his eyes.
We should have stayed in the car...he thought, desperately wishing that they had never left their aunt’s house. It’s too late, he realised as the wind pushed him backwards with strange, brutal force.
They feared that if no one came soon, their lives would be in danger.
© Copyright 2011 LaurenB (nerual at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1819193-The-Storm