*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1819889-temp-STNG-fanfiction
Rated: ASR · Other · Fanfiction · #1819889
A story I did a couple years ago, and have decided to pick up again.
Captains personal log, Stardate 5905.5
The Enterprise is finally back under flight conditions. The crew has worked beyond my expectations. Mr. La Forge has all systems running at peak perfection and we are scheduled to leave dry dock in less than four hours. So, my primary interest now, is what to do with B-4. Though he looks identical to Commander Data, his positronic matrix is severely limited. Mr. La Forge is looking to upgrade the matrix to a more usable level. There is hope B-4 can be brought to a working level, so that he is not simply shipped off to Star Fleet labs for study. I owe it to the memory of our Commander Data.

“Bleep”

“Come”.

Picard responded to the door signal of his ready room. The doors slid aside as Commander Worf entered.

“Sir, Starfleet has transmitted our orders and has cleared us for departure from drydock.” Worf spoke as he extended the data padd to the captain.

“Thank you number one” Picard answered as he reached for the data padd. “Have a seat while I look this over.” He glanced at the orders, a frown appeared on his face. “Mr. Worf, have Ensign Torres lay in a course for the Badlands, warp factor 6 as soon as we clear space dock.”

Yes Sir, but if I might ask?” Worf responded.

“Ah, yes, it would seem that the new government in the Cardassian empire is wishing to conduct talks about the de-militarized zone in the Badlands, and we’re to meet their representatives along with Gul DuCet there. And it would seem, and old friend as well.”

Picard did not smile at the thought. It wasn’t going to be a happy reunion this time, though the thought of seeing her again would be good. Worf scanned the pad and saw the name, Ro Laren.

“Yes sir, I see what you mean. I will have the Ensign lay in the course at once” Worf spoke and left the ready room.

Picard stood and moved to the replicator, “Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.” It materialized in a small clear cup that Picard took back to the desk. The view out the port changed as the stars congealed into one mass, flare then began to pass the ship at a quick clip.

Commander La Forge was busy in Data’s lab with B-4. He had him in the restrain center while working on his positronic brain. He was attempting to integrate several of Data’s circuits with B- 4's. It always seemed to cause a feedback loop, then La Forge saw what he was missing. He retrieved and inserted Data’s emotion chip then activated B-4.

“Where am I?” was the first response from B-4. He looked around taking in the location and the circumstances. Then he looked at laforge. “Geordi, what am I doing here, I don’t seem to have any clear memory of any accident or problem?” B-4 spoke.

It was as if Data was speaking, clear and intelligent thought. This troubled La Forge.

“B-4, who is the captain of this ship?” Geordi asked.

“The Captain is Jean-Luc Picard. Note, why are you referring to me as B-4?” B-4 responded.

La Forge though a few seconds then touched his com badge, “La Forge to Captain Picard, could you come to Data’s lab please?”

The response was, “I’m on my way Commander, Picard out.”

“Geordi, is there something your not telling me?” B-4 asked again.

“Lets just wait till the Captain gets here” Geordi said. He resumed scanning the data stream that was flowing in B-4's neural net.

The doors slid open as Captain Picard walked in. He took in both La Forge and B-4 and slowed his pace. “What is it Mr. La Forge?”

“Captain, it is good to see you Sir” B-4 spoke. The voice level and tone stopped Picard in his steps.

“That’s why I asked to see you Captain.” La Forge stated. “It would seem that B-4 thinks he’s Data.”

“What would have created this...effect?” Picard responded.

“I upgraded parts of his positronic brain, and activated Data’s emotion chip to try to eliminate the feedback loop I was getting.” La Forge replied. “It seems that the information Data downloaded to B-4 has been activated, and now B-4 is operating on Data’s level of knowledge.”

“Fascinating” B-4 spoke up, “Geordi, could the information that was downloaded, have overridden my earlier data?”

“If the readings are correct, Yes” Geordi answered, then asked, “Do you remember where we found B-4?”

“He was found in five locations on the planet Kolarus III, though I seem to recall some rather unorthodox piloting of the Argo to escape the inhabitants of the planet” he replied with a slight glance at Captain Picard.

“What do you remember of Commander Riker and his meeting you for the first time in the Far Point mission?” Picard asked, clearly interested in the new developments.

“I was on the Holo Deck attempting to learn human aspects which included whistling. Commander Riker walked up as I was tempting to complete a melody, without much success” B- 4 answered, “He completed the toon and I replied, Fascinating.”

“Commander, set up a program on the holo deck, a bridge simulation, and lets test B-4's
knowledge and see how he reacts to situations” Picard said as he turned to leave. “Let me know the results, I’ll be in my ready room.”

“Aye Sir” Geordi replied as he set about releasing B-4 and let him change into a uniform.

As they walked to the turbo lift, they received many stares from the crew. To them, it was as if Commander Data had returned from the dead, or at least the destruction of the Scimitar.

As they approached the Holo deck doors, Geordi touched the program padd and the computer responded, “Program complete, you may enter when ready.” The doors slid silently aside.

The bridge was fully staffed and Geordi indicated to B-4 the Ops positions relieving the Ensign seated there. LaForge then took his position at the engineering station.

“Welcome back Mr. Data” the Captain spoke as he looked at data on a Padd that was handed to him from a Yeoman. “Helm lay in a course for Starbase 138, warp factor 6.”

Helm responded back, “Course laid in and set, Sir.”

“Engage” Picard said and sat back in his chair.

The star mass congealed and flashed and then returned as stars passed the ship. For the first hour all was uneventful. Then B-4 noticed a light flashing on he panel. “Sir, we have an incoming emergency call from the freighter Sosa.”

“On screen” Picard replied.

“To any Federation ship, this is the freighter Sosa, we are under attack and need help. Life support is down to fifty percent and our engines are off line.”

“Captain, I have located the Sosa, it is half a light year away on course 133 mark 5" B-4 replied.

“Helm, change course to 133 mark 5, maximum warp” Picard spoke as he stood.

“Sosa, this is the Enterprise, we are en route to your location and should be there in a few minuets, can you identify who is attacking you?” the Captain asked.

“Enterprise, please hurry, we have many injured here, it’s the Cardassians that are attacking us, please help!” came the reply.

“The Cardassians?” Picard spoke,” Number one, has there been any reported sightings of Cardassian ships this side of the border?”

“Sir, I have scanned the area and it is a Cardassian freighter that is attacking them, but it has been modified with several weapons array.” B-4 offered.

“It must be renegades, as Cardassians haven’t run freighters into Federation space since the accords were signed two years ago” Will Riker spoke.

“Are we within visual range yet?” Picard asked.

“Yes Sir” came the reply.

“On screen” was the command, The freighter Sosa was on fire, on it’s rear quarter. “Open a channel to the Cardassians” the Captain ordered.

“Sir, they are not responding” B-4 stated.

The ship was coming around for another strike. It looked as if the Sosa was on the verge of being destroyed.

“Arm phasers and torpedoes” Picard ordered, “fire a warning shot across their bow.”

" Aye Sir, weapons armed, and firing” Worf replied.

On the screen, an arc of light flashed in front of the Cardassian Freighter. It changed its course toward the Enterprise. Picard looked at Riker incredulously.

“Shields up!” Riker called out.

The freighter opened fire on the Enterprise. The first shots hitting their starboard shields. The ship shudder briefly.

“No damage to the shields, Captain.” Worf reported. “They’re firing modulated phasers. Clearly not a Cardassian weapon.”

“Mr. Worf, target their weapons, disable them” Picard ordered.

“Phasers locked and firing” Worf answered, “Their weapons are now off line.”

“Hail them again, maybe they will be in a better mood to talk now” Riker ordered.

“Sir! I have scanned their ship, they are not Cardassian, my readings indicate those onboard are...Borg” B-4 offered as he turned to look at Picard.

“The Borg?” Riker spoke in surprise and turned to face Picard.

Picard was incredulous. “Mr. Worf, signal the Borg to stand down their attack.”

Worf signaled and relayed the message, but his panel remained quiet. “Sir, no response, may I suggest disabling their engines?”

“Very well, lock on their engines and disable them.” Picard ordered. “Com, stand by on the tractor beam to bring them along side.”

Phaser fire locked on the engineering section of the freighter. A small explosion lit the area as the plasma conduits exploded. The freighter slowed it’s momentum and began to list until the tractor locked on and pulled it in a parallel formation to the Enterprise.

“Mr. Worf, take a heavily armed away team and prepare to beam over” the Captain spoke as he rose from his chair. He turned to face the commander, “But be clear on this, your mission is disabling them, so prevent any assimilating of your team.”

“Aye Sir!” Worf keyed in personnel and ordered them to report to transporter room six.

As Worf left the bridge, another security officer took his position at tactical.

Picard walked up to the Com, “Data, scan the ship, how many life forms are there over there?”

“Scanning, interference from the reactor and another system that I can’t identify, makes scanning impossible, Sir.”

“Find me a way to punch through it, commander, I need to know what we’re up against.” Picard spoke as he returned to his command chair.

Data thought for a second and then began to recalibrate the scanner subsystems. “Sir, I have a partial account of the interior.”

“Put it on the main viewer please, Mr. Data”

The screen showed a haze surrounding the interior, gasses that have vented making a clear view impossible. But what was visible, were a number of Borg drones moving about, attempting to repair thier ship. There was also another being in the main section of the ships bridge, but different than the Borg. Familiarity in his appearance, caused Picard to stand up.

“Picard to away team, hold your mission for the moment.” Picard ordered.

Data looked at the being in the freighters command chair. He could not believe his optics, yet he knew the image was true. Lore!

“Commander Worf, your new priority, it to capture or deactivate, Lore.” Picard spoke.

“Understood, Sir, Worf out.”

Geordi reported in as well, “Transporting, complete.

The image on screen showed the drones turning to attack the intruders, and Lore rose from his chair as well. Then the screen when black.

“Enterprise to away team, please respond.” Picard spoke. No reply came. How could Lore be functional, he had been disassembled a few years ago, and the parts put in separate storage.

“Mr. LaForge, lock onto the away team and beam them back.” Captain Picard ordered."

“I’m trying Sir, But I can’t get a positive lock on Worf” Geordi replied.

“Commander LaForge, I need you and B-4 in my ready room please” came Picard’s voice overriding the other Picard.

“Computer, freeze program” Geordi commanded, and the arch appeared for the holo deck. “End Program and save.”
The bridge and personnel disappeared, replaced by the black and yellow grid of the holo deck. The door to the deck opened and LaForge and B-4 exited and walked to turbo lift 8 and took it to the bridge.

In the ready room, Jean-Luc paced the floor. His usual calm was disrupted. He had to make a decision now regarding a member of his crew, one that would dictate the individuals future in both Star Fleet and aboard the Enterprise.

The turbolift’s door opened on the bridge, and B-4 and LaForge headed for the captains ready room. Worf was seated in the command chair and looked their way and rose to follow them in. As first officer, he would now be involved with more function and interaction with the crew and he was eager to learn and adapt to his new roll.

Ro Laren paced the floor of the meeting hall. She knew her roll in the upcoming talks, but did not relish meeting a former friend and mentor, Captain Picard. Her thoughts drifted back to the mission that changed her life, and destiny. She was sent to infiltrate the Maquis and then to betray them and the colonists they were protecting from the Cardassians. She still believed her actions had been right, but the guilt of betraying the trust the Captain had placed in her, still weighed her down.

This meeting, had her back in the spotlight as negotiator for the colonies, but also afforded her a sense of peace. The Federation has set aside her betrayal so that she would not be arrested on sight. They believed that she and the colonists she represented were tying for peace.

Ro also knew, with the Dominion Wars, millions of Cardassians had been killed, and most of the others on their own colonies had been recalled to Cardassia Prime. There was still the Para- military to deal with and the resentment of the colonies so close to Cardassian space as well.

Kara entered the room and Ro moved to meet her. This woman was from another cell in the Maquis and had agreed to a meeting prior to the Enterprise arriving. “Ro, I still don’t trust StarFleet, they might just arrest you when the meetings begin as let you leave.”

Ro shook her head. The Bajoran earring swayed with the motion. “I trust the message from them, and the fact that it will be Captain Picard we meet with,” she paused turning to retrieve a data padd from a shelf, “He may be unhappy with what happened years ago, but he is honorable and will follow Starfleet’s orders.”

“That, is what troubles me.” Kara pronounced with a frown and left the room.

Ro let her thoughts wander a bit as she headed to the room she and another member shared. Her heart, was with the settlers, not with StarFleet, yet she knew this peace plan was truly for the best. It was more of an agreement not to attack the Cardassians than it being about anything else. Their recovery effort was surely hampered and they wanted peace on this border so they could deal with getting their lives back together and not have to deal with the Maquis raiding their colonies or bases.

Ro knew she could agree with this and could convince other colonies in the de-militarized zone to go along as well, after all, they all wanted to just live their lives in peace. Ro arrived at her bungalow just as the sun was setting. The flash of colors always relaxed her, no matter what she was doing.

She found peace in the solitude of watching the sun go down each day. It always led her to think back to Bajor and her fiends she left behind.

B-4 sat in Data’s quarters contemplating the day’s events and his new found memories. It troubled him a bit, as he could not recall any of the events where as B-4, he was used by Shinzon to gather data on the Federation and the Enterprise. It was if the new programing had erased the old, giving him a fresh new start at both life, and hope.

Spot, Data’s golden cat, was still aboard the Enterprise, and seemed to take to B-4 as if he were Data. B-4 found that amusing and helpful. It meant that if he was to fit into this crew, he could find acceptance. The one issue for him, though was his name. Yes Dr. Soone seemed to have a way with names, but he was not sure it would be acceptable to all his ship mates. The question that occupied his thoughts now was, could he assume the roll of Data. He did have the same positronic matrix now, that Data had, as well as all Data’s memories. He was, it seemed, Data. He could indeed function as Data, with no noticeable difference. He also noticed that he had Data’s ambition to be more human as well. That, he considered, was the balancing point to the equation.

“B-4, please report to my ready room” came Picard’s voice from the com system.

B-4 touched the com panel and replied, “I’m on my way Sir.” He was troubled that he was given no com badge to communicate with, but would ask Geordi about it at a later moment.

When he entered the ready room, Commander Worf was there as well as Geordi and Dr. Crusher. Picard indicated the open chair saying, “Please have a seat.”

Picard walked to the replicator slot, “Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.” When it materialized, he returned to his desk with it and set the cup on the desk next to a data padd. He adjusted his tunic and sat. It was an awkward moment, as he seemed to try to compose his words.

LaForge was smiling though, so it would indicate that things were for the better, rather than the worse.
“I have been in contact with StarFleet Command, Commander LaForge and with Captain Riker of the Titan for input into your situation” Picard began, “It has been agree by Admiral Brand that you will be allowed to remain aboard the Enterprise, and to assume the roll of Commander Data.”

A pause allowed the information to sink in a moment. “Commander LaForge however, will be monitoring your progress and you are to report anything out of the ordinary to him and myself. Is that clear?”

Data replied, “Yes Sir, quite clear and I do understand the precautions as well.” Then a thought occurred to him, “Does this mean I will resume full duty status as well?”

It does, Commander, you are now back at Ops position effective as of the shift change this morning.” Picard answered.

He, was still a little troubled with B-4 becoming Data, but did not voice his thoughts in the matter. He would make a personal log entry later. “Very well, if no one has any further questions, please report to your stations, Dr. Crusher, would you remain please?”

Geordi and Data left the room and assumed their stations on the bridge as the lighting brightened for the morning shift rotation began.
******************************************************************************
********
“Jean-Luc, what’s on your mind?” Beverly inquired. She was aware that something was troubling him, and did not need Troy’s abilities to read it.

“Beverly” he began, then paused to compose his thoughts. “Until we have a new counselor for the Enterprise, I am afraid I must call on you to help out in the role.”

He stood and turned to face the window before continuing. “You and I go back many years, and I trust you and your insight. Will this be a problem?”

Beverly had an odd expression on her face as she too stood and walked to the Captains side. “Jean-Luc, you and I do go back a ways, You were friends with Jack before becoming my captain. I trusted you then and I do now. “ She turned to look him in the eye. “ What’s troubling you?”

Data relieved the night duty com officer and took his seat. He glanced over the panel and reconfigured it to his liking and familiarity. He ran a cursory scan of the surrounding space and then reviewed all log data from the night shift to bring himself up to speed. Even with his incredible speed scanning the input, he still had troubling thoughts. Thoughts that he needed to resolve, but decided to wait until time permitted him to seek out Geordi.

“Report Mr. Data” Commander Worf ordered.

“I have run a level one scan of the area, no anomalous readings to report, no ship board situations requiring further investigation. Our present speed is Warp Factor six on a heading of 121 mark 4 “ Data replied as he turned to face Worf.

“How long until we reach the badlands?”

“Two hours, thirty three minuets, twelve seconds until we arrive at Sirus Three.”

“Very well, maintain course and speed.”

“Aye Sir.”

“Ro, hang on a second” Shira called panting even as she slowed her run.

The corridor was empty, yet she switched to hush tones as she continued. “The Enterprise is two hours away, are you really ready for this meeting?”

Ro furrowed her brow and pursed her lips, but quickly changed to a smile. “Yes, I’m ready. Look Shira, we knew this day would come sometime, peace for the colonies in the badlands. We couldn’t go on fighting forever.”

“I know, its just that I got so use to fighting the Cardassians, well to think they won’t even be around to trouble us, is unsettling to say the least.”

A bemused look now followed with, “Unsettling? How so?”

“I still don’t trust them, even if they agree to leave the zone, they may still attack out of revenge.”

“And we will still be here to protect the colonies, the Maquis will not be leaving, we have families here too, lives to pick up with and go on living, not to mention those that deserted from Starfleet can never go back.”

‘Cheerp’ Ro’s communicator sounded. “Ro here go ahead.”

“Commander, a Cardassian cruiser just dropped into orbit above us. They hailed saying they’re here for the talks and will stand by until the Enterprise arrives.”

“Understood, for now, just keep and eye on them, Ro out.”

“Turny, get on that level 2 diagnostic, the Captain want’s everything done before we arrive and I don’t like to disappoint him” commented LaForge.

His new team was adapting to his demands well. He had hand picked the primary shift of the very best. They would have the difficult task of first manning systems in combat situations.

He had held a meeting days before informing the rest of the engineering staff of his choices, and said that if they too wanted the coveted positions, they would have to work hard for them. They all voiced approval and affirmation of thier willingness to do so. Geordi was proud of this Enterprise crew. They were able to keep about two thirds of the Enterprise D crew when they were given the Enterprise E.

Geordi did his review of the mission data. He wanted no surprises. After a glance through the orders, he grinned. He would be glad to see Ro again. The two of them had hit it off well the last time she was aboard. As he also noted where they were going, he set up additional safe guards on the shielding. The Badlands were known for throwing surprises at ships in that area of space.

He composed all his work and some suggestions for the ship and submitted it to Worf. It was different, having Worf for a first officer. He and Worf had been the same rank when they cam aboard the Enterprise D. But he held no resentment for Worf. Both had changed their original positions as well, Worf towards security, and Geordi to engineering. He did however, feel the loss for Data, and the absence of both Riker and Deanna.

Though they were on board the Titan, he missed the interaction they had here. And he even missed the weekly poker games.

“Jean-Luc, what is it” Beverly asked again. The Captain seemed almost distracted, as if listening to something subliminal.

Picard turned to face her and replied, “I have been having, dreams lately, and more than before.”

“What about?”

He turned to look at the stars before continuing. “The Borg.”

It was as if those two words spoke volumes. He wouldn’t add more so Beverly moved to in front of the Captain to have his complete attention.

“Dr. I find it difficult to talk about” Picard spoke even as his brow dropped. His recollections as Locutus where brought back with every dream, and now he wanted to know why.

Dr. Crusher decided on a different track, “Well, as your new ships counselor, it is my job to help you bring it out and understand it.”

She had included inflections of Deanna in the wording. This drew a quick turn of the head from the Captain.

The brow rose a little, and even a hint of a smile could be seen. “All right Doctor, you’ve made your point.”

They both walked over to the sofa and sat. Picard relaxed more and began a better explanation.

“In the dreams, I am confronting the Borg Queen. All around me, is Borg machinery, equipment that I took to mean in a Borg location. The Queen was attempting to persuade me to rejoin her and aiding the Borg culture. I was resisting and even attempted to persuade her of the futility of the situation. But then a surprise that even I did not expect. I saw standing behind her, to beings, people as it were. The male looked human and the female was Deltan".

“Deltan, few of them are even in StarFleet, let alone travel the galaxy anymore.” the doctor interjected.

“Believe me, I found this strange as well, but the strangest part of them being there, was the fact that they were not part of the Borg hive. They had no Borg implants.”

This started Beverly, “And they were with the Borg?”

“Yes, and this is one of the things that bothers me, what is the meaning of the dreams as well as the two individuals. I have had nightmares of the Borg, but never like this. It has to mean something.”

“Bridge to Captain Picard” Worf’s voice called over the com.

Picard touched his com badge, “Yes number one?”

“We will arrive at Sirus Three in five minuets.”

“I’m on my way.”

Picard turned back to Beverly, “Doctor, lets come back to this later.”

Beverly nodded and left for Medical.

The Captain strode onto the bridge and gave the command, “Slow to impulse and proceed to the planet. Mr. Data, scan the systems for any ships please.”

“The only vessel in the system, is a Galor class ship, the Avenger. No Gul listed in Starfleet data base for the ship.”

“Very well, standard orbit please.”

“Aye Sir!”

“Captain, we’re being hailed from the colony” Worf spoke and looked up even as he paused in relaying the information.

Picard stood and adjusted his tunic and replied, “On Screen.”

Picard visibly stiffened, then forced himself to relax and even relaxed his facial expression to appear affable.

“This is Captain Picard of the Enterprise, I believe we have a meeting to discuss relations between the Cardassian Empire and the Federation colonies in the badlands.”

The face on the screen forced a smile and a nod, “Welcome Captain, it’s good to see you again. I am transmitting coordinates to the meeting hall to both the Enterprise and the Avenger. We look forward to meeting both sides here in one hour.”

“In one hour then”

Picard stood there even as communications closed. He was still dealing with his feelings about Ro from the last mission where she had disobeyed orders and betrayed his confidence in her. He turned to leave the bridge but paused to turn to Worf.

“Number one, have Dr. Crusher and a member of security to report to the transporter room in one hour, then join me in my ready room please.”

Before Worf could complete his orders, Data turned to him. “Commander, there is another ship dropping out of warp, and they are hailing us.”

“Identification?”

“Sir, it’s the Crazy Horse, Captain Jelico commanding.”

“Captain?” Worf spoke before Picard could leave the bridge.

Picard returned to the bridge as Worf gave the order of “On screen.”

Much to the surprise of all, the image was of an Admiral. “Enterprise, stand by to transport me over.”

“I will meet you in the transporter room shortly Admiral.” Picard was surprised to say the least with a meeting with StarFleet’s newest Admiral, Kathryn Janeway.

Picard strode into transporter room one and indicated to the chief to energize. When the admiral materialized she stepped down with a smile, that slowly changed to a blank look, of one who was in a deep poker game.

“Admiral, it’s good to see you again, though a surprise to see you in person” Picard spoke.

“Captain, it’s urgent that I speak with you in private.”

“Certainly Admiral, however, I am due at a meeting with the Maquis and the Cardassians in less than an hour.”

"I know Jean-Luc, Captain Jelico will be handling that meeting. We need to talk.”

The admiral with hand raised, indicated the door and Picard quickly picked up on the urgency and led the admiral out and to the turbo lift.

“Bridge” Picard ordered.

As the door slid open, both walked out and straight to the Captains ready room.

“Number one, We’re not to be disturbed for any reason.” Picard said as the ready room door slid open.

“Aye Sir!” Worf replied with a questioning look on his face.

The rest of the bridge crew looked on with amazement. Admirals didn’t arrive every day, and certainly not this one either. Some of the crew knew of Admiral Janeway’s adventures in the Delta Quadrant, and with Voyager returning to the Alpha Quadrant to much fanfare.

The room had a comfort level the Admiral found pleasant. Her posture relaxed a bit before she sat.

“Can I get you anything Admiral?”

“Yes, coffee, black.”

Picard walked over to the replicator, “Tea, Earl grey hot, and Coffee, hot black.”

When the two cups materialized, he took both to his desk and place the coffee before the admiral. She lifted the steam cup, closed her eyes and sniffed, taking in the aroma. Picard smiles softly at this. He in turn took a sip of his tea and sat before the Admiral.

“Captain, I gathered a lot of data on the Borg while I was stuck in the Delta quadrant. More than I really knew I had obtained. Since you are not currently aware of how we got home, Starfleet deeming the information classified, you don’t have the current scope of the Borg Hive.”

Janeway turned his display panel to face her. She entered several commands. “Computer, access StarFleet records of the Borg Tactical Data base downloaded from Voyagers computers.”

“Working, that information is currently classified, Admiralty level clearance.”

“Computer, access clearance, Janeway Alpha 949 Delta.”

“Access granted.”

“Display records and download encrypted copy to Enterprise data base, Captains eyes only.”

The information displayed on the screen as the Admiral turned it back to Picard. He entered his code that would allow him to access the data later. He did a cursory scan of the data. His brow rose several times before looking back up at the Admiral.

“I thought it would get your attention, Jean-Luc.”Janeway spoke smiling at the bewilderment of the Captain.

“And there will be someone who will work with you that has ful knowledge of this information as well as a wealth of data on the Borg.”

“Commander Shelby is available?”

“No, this is someone, like your self who has first hand experience with the Borg, but for a far longer time, her experience will be invaluable to you in the mission I will be briefing you on shortly.”

If it was possible for someone to totally surprise Picard, the Admiral had done it. He was perplexed and amazed, and a little disturbed. His dealings with the Borg, though handled over the years, had left him hesitant with every new contact. This time was no different. Judging by the information in the data, this would be both an extended mission, and a dangerous one, one that the Enterprise might not come back from.

The Admiral touched her com badge, “Seven, please transport over to my coordinates now.”

The Captain anticipating this keyed his com as well, “Number one, We have a visitor beaming over, please do not scan nor hinder the transport in anyway.”

“Aye Sir!” Came Worf’s reply.

A slim, lithe female materialized. She wore a StarFleet uniform, the rank of a Lt. Commander. Her blond hair was tied up behind her head in a conservative fashion, and she had a silver Borg implant over one eye.

She was beautiful, but had an aire about her that chilled Picard. It was like seeing the Borg all over again. Even as he stiffened, he forced himself to relax.

“Admiral, Captain” her acknowledgment was curt and formal.

“Captain Picard, may I introduce, Seven of Nine” and to the woman she spoke

” Seven, Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

“I am pleased to meet you Captain Picard.” Seven was polite, but she felt his apprehension all the same.

“A Borg designation, and a StarFleet rank?” Picard asked politely.

“The rank is merely a formality. Seven is a top notch science officer if there ever was one, though she is only temporary attached to StarFleet for the duration of this assignment.”

“Very well, Commander, welcome aboard the Enterprise. I will have my first officer get you settled into your quarters...”

“That won’t be necessary Captain, all I require is an area to set up a Borg regeneration chamber. I do not bring any personal items with me.” Seven stated.

“Forgive me, I had assumed since you were separated from the collective, that you would be, human in the sense of the need for sleep. May I suggest however, that you set up what ever equipment you need in quarters, rather than it drawing attention from other crew members?” Picard was using all the tact he could without coming out directly and asking if she were still a Borg.

“That would be satisfactory, thank you Captain.”

“Number one, please report to my ready room.” Picard called out.

“On my way sir!”

The look on Worf’s face was surprise but quickly changed to his standard scowl when he saw the new arrival.

“Mr. Worf, please assign bridge officer quarters to the commander, and then report back here when your are done.” Picard ordered.

“Yes Sir!” with a curt nod to the captain, and then to the woman, “If you will follow me?” He turned on his heels and left the ready room.

“Alright Admiral, what’s really going on?” Picard asked.

“Jean-Luc, this mission is dangerous if you fail the main portion of it. I won’t sweet coat the risks, however, with the success of it, things will change on the galactic map. It may remove an enemy, and perhaps give the Federation at the very least, an ally.”

“Admiral, I know the Borg, they can not be reasoned with, and the few times you recorded working with them, they betrayed you.”

Picard stood and walked to the view at the stars.

“It’s not that I am questioning the mission or my orders, but it’s ....well it’s the feeling that I have.” The captain could go no further.

Worf stepped out of the turbo lift on deck five. He turned left and walked to the vacant quarters that were next to him. He had checked prior to bringing the Borg female here, so that he could keep an eye on her. She was after all, Borg.

The door slid open and they walked in, Seven glanced around and nodded, “Thank you Commander.”

Worf nodded curtly then tuned and left. After a few steps down the corridor, he pulled a PADD out and accessed any current non-classified information on the woman, what little he was able to get did give him a small amount of insight to the Borg and this mission.

DELTA QUADRANT UPDATE BIO-FILE: Seven of Nine

Species: Human (assimilated by Borg as a child but severed as an adult, retaining portion of cybernetic implants)

Full Name at Birth: Annika Hansen

Parents: Magnus & Erin Hansen (both assimilated by Borg ca. 2356); only known surviving relative is an aunt, Irene Hansen

Place of birth: Tendara Colony, SD 25479

Marital status: Married, Husband Cmdr. Chakotay formerly First officer of Voyager, Former member of the Maquis

Last recorded assignment: U.S.S. Voyager (no formal assignment or rank)

Current status: Returned to Alpha Quadrant with Voyager in 2378

Worf, though a warrior, was not above having compassion for someone who was taken by the Borg. And she was rescued by then Captain Janeway and freed from the hive. He was though, cautious. Proceeding back to the bridge and the mission briefing he was expecting, he tried to see the woman as human, rather than Borg and what her connection to the mission she would play.

The ready room door slid open at his approach and he took his seat next to the Admiral.

“All right, lets get this briefing over so you can get underway, We have gone through all the data that Voyager brought back from the Delta quadrant on the Borg. All log entries, all scans, and all uploaded information gathered from various ships we boarded and the missions we cared out. It is lengthy, but with several refined searches and Seven’s help as well, we were able to uncover some starting information”.

The Admiral paused while Worf scanned the data high lights that were not Captains eyes only.

“Impressive!” was all Worf could think of to say.

“That it is, Commander. For this mission, StarFleet has waved the Time Travel restrictions, as well as Technology restriction involving cloaks. The Phase Cloak that was developed on the Pegasus will be given to you. Captain Riker has informed the Romulan’s of this, and they say as long as it is only used in the Delta quadrant, they have no problem with it, but they do request that it be dismantled while in the Alpha quadrant, which StarFleet has agreed to.

In addition, you will have the Armor Deployment program and data on two weapons. One is the Transphasic Torpedo, and the other is a Bio weapon give to us from Species 8742. The Borg have technology that can allow them to defeat Species 8742, but, I also later leveled the field when we had talks with Species 8742 and through an agreement not to attack the Alpha quadrant, gave them a way to protect themselves from the Borg Weapon. True the Borg assimilated the weapon, however, they will not know that you have it, and it may prove useful even if for a short time.”

The Admiral let this sink in before continuing.

“Upon completion of this briefing, you are to proceed to Starbase 010 where the necessary modifications will be made to the ship and systems, and where you will take on extra supplies and equipment for the extended stay.”

“Admiral, I am not aware of a Starbase 010.” Picard stated.

“That’s because it’s classified High security, and it has only been operational for a month.” Janeway responded, “and it was created just for this situation. Now since every thing you need has been transmitted to the Enterprise computers, I think it’s time I leave and you can begin this mission. God speed, Captain.”

“Thank you Admiral, if you don’t mind, I think I will see you to the transporter room. Picard then handed a Padd to Worf.

“ Number one, personally input this course, and when executed, erase it from the computer. “

“Aye Sir” Worf replied as he took the Padd.

“Deck Ten” Picard spoke as the turbo lift doors closed on the Admiral and himself.

Worf, slightly confused as to the reason of the order, walked over to Ensign Kelsey and asked her to take a couple minuets and stand down from station.

“Aye Sir!” and she moved to the head located at the back of the bridge. Data watched discreetly as Worf entered a course into the console and waited.

“Commander, those coordinates, where...” he got no further as Worf held up a finger to silence him. “Yes Sir.” was Data’s reply.

“Picard to Worf, you may engage.”

Worf punched the engage button and then proceeded to wipe the console and purge the computer memory. Now all that would show, was the course, but nothing as to distance and what lay ahead. As he rose from the console, he signaled the Ensign to return and man the station.

“Mr. Data, please have your relief fill in for a moment and come with me.” Worf spoke and then headed for the observation lounge.

A surprised look said a lot to others that saw Data’s face. Something one did not see very often. When the replacement was in place he left the bridge for the lounge as well.

When the door closed, Worf turned to him, “Mr. Data, at this time, you are under orders to delete from your memory the course that I place in the Helm, When or if Captain Picard brings the matter up, you will then be told what this situation was about, until then, it is considered Classified.”

“Yes Sir, “ a twitch of his head then he replied, “The information has been deleted. “

“Thank you, Mr. Data, you may return to your station.”

“Yes Sir.”

For the next two hours, all was uneventful. Data looked at a light flashing on his panel. He turned to the Captain, “Sir, the computer reports we will be dropping out of Warp in two minuets.”

“Very well, when we drop out, there will be a beacon, lock onto it and engage impulse engines at one quarter speed.”

“Yes sir.”

On the view screen appeared a small station, estimated compliment of one hundred, a ship repair facility, and a Star Fleet cargo ship, The U.S.S. Boston. Little else told of the purpose of them nor were there any ships near the station.

“Enterprise, cut your engines and we will tractor you in.” a male voice came in over the com system.

“Helm, cut our engines, Number one, have the senior staff report to Holo Deck 12.” Picard ordered, then paused,

“Mr. Data, please join them as well. Number one, you have the con until we are secured and powered down, then report to the Holo Deck please” and he promptly left the bridge.

The ship was pulled into the facility, and workers swarmed over the hull and began intricate work and additions. Cargo haulers moved into place to begin to dock with the Shuttle bay. To any who took the time to look outside, it appeared that all was in a rush, too harried for a regular mission.

Security too, were every where. On the decks and in space patrolling around Enterprise. Picard was surprised to see them in the ship. They stood guard in key access areas. Engineering teams crawled in the Jeffreys tubes and maintenance access areas busy with upgrades to the systems. Ones Picard knew he would need in the upcoming mission. He stopped outside of the quarters of the newest crew member.
He thumbed the door chime, which was followed after a brief,

“Come.”

The door slid open and just as Jean-Luc was about to take a step in, a wave of revulsion hit him. The interior, was that of a Borg ship. Various conduits run here and there, and an eery green lighting was directed towards a regeneration chamber. Seven of Nine looked his way and disconnected herself from it, and an announcement followed, “Regeneration cycle in not complete.”

“Commander, I have called a briefing of all my senior staff and I would like you to attend as well.”

“Yes Captain, and may I make a personal request?”

“By all means.”

“I would prefer to be referred to as either Seven or Seven of nine. I have noticed in the past, crewmen becoming awkward when referring to me either by a rank, or a rank and Seven.”

“I will take that under consideration for the moment and give you my answer at the briefing.”

“Thank you Captain.” Seven could sense the hostility radiating from the Captain, but from her experience, she knew it best not to pursue the matter.

The walk was quiet, crew members moving about their business. The holo deck doors slid open a thier approach. “Computer, arch!” Picard approached and keyed in a code.

The deck shimmered and reformed on the USS Voyager. They stood, for a lack of words, in space looking over a model size of the ship as it progressed into a nebula. Upon entering a clearing, they saw dozens of Borg cubes and other Borg ships.

They watched as Voyager activated some sort of armor that encased the ship. They had a birds eye view as three cubes moved to intercept it and began firing. No apparent damage being done. Then the aft torpedo bay opened and Voyager fired on the first cube destroying it with just two torpedoes, the second cube was taken out with only one. The third cube halted its attack and moved off from pursuit.

The images cascaded and reformed to another part of the Hub base. A small craft materialized and was tractored in. Then the images returned to Voyager. There were several additions to the hull that now were enlarged for a more detailed view.

“What you just saw, was the last battle in the Delta Quadrant of the starship Voyager. At this time, this information is classified and not to be discussed with any of the crew. Then Captain Janeway, in an attempt to get her crew back to the Alpha quadrant came upon this area and the Hub base. Upon realization of so many Borg ships, she withdrew from the nebula to consider another way home. As she was considering several option, a rift formed close to the ship and a federation shuttle craft appeared. Upon contact with the occupant, Admiral Janeway, the Captain used and anti-tachyon pulse to close it, preventing two Klingon ships from pursuing her.”

The images now shifted to a record made by Voyager of the encounter including voice. There was a gasp as others saw two Janeway’s on the screen.

“The devise, a Chrono-deflector, is what allowed Admiral Janeway to travel into the past to assist her younger version to return home. She also left data that suggests a way to build the device as well as making it a bit more stable for more than one use. The other devise, is an enhanced cloak that can not be scanned even with a tachyon grid.”

“Once you reach the Delta quadrant, we will, for all purposes, be on our own. We will have to rely on each other and your experiences to complete this mission. I have sole discretion in the mission and it’s completion.”

The images dissolved back to the holo deck grid. “Number one, have all senior department heads meet for a briefing in twelve hours, until then, you are off duty.” Picard headed to his quarters.

Picard sat at his desk, his mind preoccupied with his memories. The Borg, wether he would admit it or not, still had an effect on him more than just a little bit. The last encounter with them with the first contact mission had revived thoughts that he had kept hidden from his experience being part of the collective. Locutus, was apart of Picard, and he apart of Locutus. He had come away from the experience with a greater understanding of the Borg and a greater fear. It was part of that knowledge that he needed to use now. This mission would take all his personal reserves and strength to complete. And even then, he was not sure it could be done without any of the crew becoming assimilated into the collective.

Instead of turning in for the night, he headed to Beverly’s quarters. She had asked him to stop by at some point this evening. She had said off hand, she was interested in playing some poker. After that day when he had joined his crew in a game, he had become fascinated with it and with sharing more time with the crew. To Be Continued:
© Copyright 2011 Grey Wolf (grey_wolf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1819889-temp-STNG-fanfiction