*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820200-Through-the-Looking-Glass
Rated: 18+ · Other · Horror/Scary · #1820200
Alice goes through the looking glass. Familiar right?
Word Count: 969

         Alice sat in front of the mirror brushing her hair studiously. She could see the sun streaming through the wide double windows in it's reflection.  The sunlight made the golden flecks of the embossed wallpaper sparkle brilliantly. A small table had been set up under the window where the white Rabbit, Hatter and Cheshire were milling about diligently to set out a tea party. How Alice loved tea parties. Rabbit turned to look at her and waved his arm at her invitingly. Without further hesitation she stepped through to join them.


         There was already a place set for her, she knew it was hers because it was the only person sized seat at the charming little table.
         “You're late Alice.” rabbit scolded. “Take a seat and lets drink some tea.”
         “I'm sorry rabbit dear.” said Alice sweetly as she leaned to give him a good scratch behind the ear. Rabbit smiled and pushed further into her hand.
         “Oh come on you two,” Cheshire chided. “If you carry on like that all day the tea will get cold.” At these sensible words they all took their seats and Alice picked up the darling little teapot to start filling up everybody's dainty, miniature cups which her friends still had to pick up two handed, or pawed. The conversation turned from the lovely weather they had been having to the nasty old queen of hearts and all the headless toys running about the place.
         “Can you believe this is the second time I've had to have my head sewn back on in a year.” Exclaimed Hatter with a laugh. “It really is terribly difficult to stay on her good side.” A knock came at the door and they all froze; silently agreeing their talk had invoked the ruthless queen.


         The gathering sat silently and expectantly for a few moments until the knock was repeated. Maybe it wasn't the queen, She never waited.
         “Alice honey, can I come in?” Of course it was lovely mother; lovely, adoring, beautiful mother.  Everybody's mood was lifted.
         “Of course mumma.” Replied Alice. The door opened and lovely mother appeared holding a silver tray piled high with delicious things to eat. There were cupcakes, sticky tarts and yummy chocolates in a rainbow of different papers which she set on the table.
         “I thought I heard you having a tea party, these treats should help some rumbling bellies.” All eyes were wide with appreciation. “Oh yes,” they said in unison. “Thank you mumma!” Alice gave mother a big hug around her waist.
         “I love you lovely mumma. Thank you so very much.”
         “ And I love you too dear, anything for my little buttercup.” She leaned down to kiss her on the head . Alice squeezed tighter. “Now hurry up and enjoy your treats before your friends eat them all.” Giving one last squeeze Alice turned back to the table where all the toys had started digging into the food heartily.


         The afternoon flew along merrily. The party goers sat back in their chairs full to the brim and carried on their conversation of all the happenings of late. Tweedledum and Tweedledee's latest battles were spoken of. There was also a conversation about the white knight's most recent invention, a little music box which picked up on any half remembered songs you had in your head and played them out for you. Even the sunflowers looking in through the window were having a jolly time nodding along in agreement with what was being said inside. They were all having such a good time nobody noticed the knock at the door.


         Mother burst into the room without waiting for a reply.
         “Lovely Mumm...” began Alice.
         “Quickly Alice, clean up, we've got a punter.” Alice was wrong, it was the queen, how could she miss the daunting crown and wickedly glowing sceptre, or were they hair rollers and a cigarette?
         “But Mumma..”
         “No time for your shit Alice. Mr Walrus is waiting.” There was a shimmering unfeeling running through Alice's small body. The sunlight flickered out suddenly covered with a dark cloudy sky. The shimmering wallpaper faded, peeled and cracked before her eyes. A somehow familiar patch of mould crept back across a corner of the ceiling. The whole world shook as she felt herself being pulled back through the mirror and thrown into starker, colder surroundings. Slap! Alice's hand went automatically to the cheek her mother had just struck and she dropped the fraying doll in her arms.
         “Snap out of it Alice” yelled her mother. “This is no time for your fucking day dreams.” She started snatching at the toys and plastic cups across the floor and throwing them into a corner, she unwittingly stepped on one of the Cheezos and it mashed into the threadbare carpet. “Jesus fucking..” She bent over and quickly brushed at it till the crumbs blended with the general dirtiness of the floor.
         “Are you clean?” She leaned into her armpits and sniffed before pulling down her panties and drawing a hand between her thighs and smelling it. “It'll do. Alright sit up on the bed like a good girl and I'll send him in.” With one last take of the room mother rushed out to greet Mr Walrus. Alice went to where Rabbit, Chesire and Hatter were slumped in the corner. Carefully she turned them all to face against the wall making sure she didn't spill any more stuffing from their torn sides. She didn't want them to watch. Slowly she dragged her feet to the little iron framed bed and perched herself on the side of it. Alice stared at the cracked looking glass with wide empty eyes.
© Copyright 2011 oneofmany (oneofmany at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820200-Through-the-Looking-Glass