*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820264-The-Unconfident-Ghost
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1820264
What really happens at a haunted house?
I watched them as they hesitantly walked to the front of the tall, run down house, my house. It’s always been a place of interest to these delinquent kids. They stand there, at the steps, looking dumbfounded and frightened as they quietly dare each other to be the first to take a step inside. I watch in the dark and silently listen; hoping that one of them will get the courage to take this leap of faith.
“Come on man, don’t be such a baby.” One of them joked. I noticed he was talking to the smaller boy of the group. I snickered to myself. If only they knew what they were getting in to.
“If it’s not so bad, why don’t you do it?” The boy retaliated heatedly. “Go ahead. If you’re all big and bad then go.”
“I will!” The other boy screeched. He then shoved past them and stomped into my house. I had everything in place. As they all followed after him, I ran up the stairs, making sure I did this as loudly as possible.
“What. Was. That?” I heard on of them say. I had them on edge now.
“I don’t know. I think we should go.” Another panicked.
“No. We are not leaving, not yet.” The first boy demanded. They reluctantly stalked up the stairs after the sound. Slam! I shut the first door I could find. One of them gasped. Still, they came after me. Shutting every door down my hallway, I scrambled to get away from the kids before I was spotted. I wanted them to be afraid. None of my tricks were working, so I did the first thing I thought of. I grabbed a white sheet and threw it over my head. Taking a deep breath, I jumped out from behind the door. “Boo!” I screamed, hoping to, at least, make them run away. They just stood there and stared. Then, they all busted out laughing.
“Wow, this place is haunted? Whatever.” They all doubled over in laughter as they walked out of my house and into the dark night. I sat there, in my sheet, ashamed, knowing that now; kids will never come to my “haunted” house again.
© Copyright 2011 kerrylewter (kerryl96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820264-The-Unconfident-Ghost