*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820284-Only-Time-Runs-with-Blood-Ch1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #1820284
First chapter of a world of Magic, Blood Lust, and Good vs. Evil.
Chapter 1

Castles in the Sand
         
         "Sire, the subjects are starving. We can't sustain the population in a city this size." Seven men were situated in a circle. The seventh sat a top a cold silver throne, rusting around the edges and tarnished everywhere, with a cracked and rusty crown tilted slightly on his head. The man who spoke-- ebony skinned with dark brown hair and eyes-- looked expectantly at the Emperor.
         He shook his head, "No Aman, we shall stay in the seclusion of the Dakota's. I will not harm any humans. I have ordered more blood for us and more animal carcasses for the Underlings."
         "But Sir! We are lying in poverty! You had to sell your crown for last weeks shipments and your throne for this week’s! You have led this place to ruins by not letting us hunt," A man with dazzling teeth, an arched nose, and a chiseled face sighed, "You keep us locked up like we should be ashamed!"
         "Enough Sage. Do not speak to me in that manner or you will be punished. We cannot show ourselves to the surface world. This meeting is dismissed, no further discussion will be given nor received about this."
         The men stood up, bowed low, and began filing out of the broken room. The Emperor stood and ran his hand through his blond hair. He looked around at his once grand castle, tucked in the wilds of North Dakota. The only place where Underworlders could come for a safe haven, where they wouldn't be punished for being who they were. Humans had long forgotten about the presence of his home, there was no one around for miles. That was a great blessing, but also a huge problem. The vampires were always thirsty; they drank from bags an insider from the hospital sent. Every day the supply diminished, there was just not enough to support them all. The Red Caps, Dragons, Boogies, and all the other flesh eaters needed the cattle, and sheep sent from the farms across the nation, but all of it didn't last long. They were running out of money, he had to sell both his crown and throne to feed everyone. Witches and Wizards could walk among the humans, but they too had no human money.
         He paced the faded tile floor, thinking of ways to come up with more money. It just wasn't possible; he was way too thirsty to think. At the thought of O Negative, his teeth sharpened, and he crouched into a hunter's stance. He shook his head, glancing at the huge iron handed clock above his disheveled throne. Three more hours, he thought, and he walked away toward his chambers.
         
"I'm going hunting tonight. I don't care what Rowan says" Sage whispered as two centaurs passed him and Aman.
         "Sage, you can't. Rowan is still the Emperor, his word is law." His voice was sincere, but his eyes wavered.
         "I don't know about you, but I'm defiantly tired of old, plastic flavored AB. "He scoffed; Aman gave his a disdainful look.
         "I guess I am, but how are we supposed to leave the perimeter? He has Weres guarding the lines."
         "I know a few, and I'm sure that if we bribed a couple with a live deer or something, they would gladly let us go."
         "Still... We could be tortured for this," Aman held up a mangled hand, "Holy water hurts like hell."
         "I understand, but so does being thirsty all the time. Either way, I'm going with or without you." Sage's eyes burned with finality.
         "I might as well go too," Aman nodded, "Better to be tortured together, then alone right?"
         "Agreed. We will meet at the ground south of the Bell Tower, at midnight." With that they parted.
         Midnight came slowly on an empty stomach. Aman had skipped his dinner in order to work up a major appetite. But it did eventually come, and he snuck out of a side turret, jumping through a window and landing lightly on his feet on the cold ground. He ran to the south, meeting up with Sage in seconds.
         "Are you ready?"
         Aman nodded, his mangled hand shaking slightly from fear of getting caught. They walked in the crisp night air, their footsteps making no sound over the dry needles. The full moon shone brightly over their path, a bat fluttered aimlessly over head, and a low growl of a sleeping dragon rolled through the trees ahead. Suddenly, a wolf howled nearby. Sage stuck his hand out to stop Aman, and stilled. A grey and brown wolf came bounding out of the trees strait toward them. It stopped in front of them, growled a warning and began stalking forward. Sage raised his hands as a peaceful gesture,
         "Hey, Ember. We have a proposition," the wolf looked at them with wary eyes, while they waited for them to shift, but after a few uncomfortable minutes Sage threw up his hands. "Fine, don't change back,” He grumbled, “We’re offering a live deer, in exchange for passage and secrecy for hunting."
         The air filled with the sounds of cracking bone. The wolf shimmered between a human and the animal. His bones popping back and forth between the two shapes. The full moon was making it hard to change, but finally the last bone cracked into place on his face. His sharp jaw line extended slightly, showing the beast within. Forest green eyes glanced over Aman before settling on Sage's bored look. A wisp of grey hair fell into his face and his claw like hand shot up to move it before speaking, "I want a Grizzly. And Blazke want s a Mountain Lion, or a child. One or the two. Then you have yourself a deal." His bones cracked behind his knees, his eyebrows knitted together in concentration.
         "Alright, fine. Deal." They shook hands, each with a matching look of disgust, and then Ember snapped, crackled, and popped his bones back into a wolf form. It shook its head, indicating for them to follow him. So they began treading behind the beast. It took them on a round-about way to the edge of a clearing in the north. It was quiet, except for the crunch of the ground beneath the wolf’s pads. It turned nodded its head at them, and then bolted to return to its post at the border.
         "Good, they smell disgusting," Sage wrinkled his nose, "Now I smell something a lot more appetizing beneath that filth." His fangs glinted in the moonlight; his eyes became black orbs floating on his pale face. Aman crouched, fangs extended and eyes becoming a hunter’s glare. They sniffed the air, and beneath the entire nostril burning stench, there was a sweet scent, drifting lightly over the breeze. They took off for it. As they ran it came closer, they began to hear the heart beat of multiple people. The invigorating smell triggered their vampire, they crouched and stalked forward.
         There was a little campsite close by. People young and old sat around fires, laughing, eating merrily, and talking about their return home trip the next day. They circled the campsite, looking for the easiest prey, each marking their own mark. Aman was quick. He got it done fast, he preferred a little less blood and games, and more survival and important quenching of thirst. He used a little bit of mind control to lure an elderly women, with tears in her eyes. Her daughter was hugging her murmuring about how He loved her, and He wouldn't want her to be sad about His death. Aman told the women to walk toward the lake, just a few minutes from the campsite, but completely obscured by the trees. She obeyed, her daughter only slightly objected, but let her go. The women walked through the trees, then sat on a rock, staring blindly into the water. He walked up. "I can let you see him again." He murmured. She didn't jump, but slowly turned her head to look at him.
         “Why does the Lord take those we love?"
         "I cannot answer that question, but I can let you see him. You would be together forever, as young people for all of eternity." Her eyes lit up,
"Would you do that for me?"
         "Only if you say it's okay." He whispered
         "It's okay. I don't want to be here anymore." The news said she had a heart attack.
          Sage loved the mind games; he targeted a teenager who checked her phone every few minutes, even though there was no service. He rushed up to her, just a flash before her eyes, and whispered in her ear, "I am here, come and find me." She looked startled, but thought that it was just the wind playing tricks. "Come find me. I will love you more than he did." She stood and looked around. The adults didn't notice. She moved toward the darkest part of the woods, something white catching her eye, and then she saw him. The most gorgeous thing she had ever laid eyes on. Tall, dark, handsome, and he had a dazzling smile. "You have come her willingly?" he cooed, his voice like harmonious chocolate, yet not as enticing as it had been a few minutes ago, like something magical had lurked behind it, but not now.
         She felt it was an odd question, but smiled in return, "Of course I did. Now what were you saying about love?"
         The paper said it was a bear attack.
         After they both had their fill, they began walking back. They found their prizes for the wolves, one huge grizzly and another vicious mountain lion, knocked them out, and began treading toward the castle. They took their time, meandering about so as their bodies would absorb their midnight feast. Half way there, and picking up speed due to the brightening sky, they both stopped dead in their tracks. Something sweet wafted through the air. Something they had never smelled before. It was like freesia, vanilla, and cinnamon, only it wasn't. They followed the smell, dropping their bribes, and crouched warily. Their footsteps became soundless, they crept forward. As they got closer the air start vibrate, like the trees were humming a tuneless song. The vibrations increased, pulsing through the air with vigor, and then they saw where it came from.
         There were four trees arranged in a perfect square, a small clearing in between with a young women sitting in the middle. Her hands were laid on the dirty ground, palms caressing the dried leaves. The trees were bending in toward her, stretching their bare limbs out to the center. She was mouthing words in another language, very softly whispering her spell. Sage was the first to rush into the clearing in an attempt to attack her and drink from her. A giant limb swung and knocked him backward, throwing him into another tree which snapped in half. The Women stood up. Sharply layered black hair, shorter in the front, fell down her back and her bangs slipped over one eye. She turned slowly to face the stunned Sage. She glanced at him with big chocolate brown eyes, and then she turned and faced the hidden Aman.
         "You silly boys, dancing around trying to make me a meal. If it wasn't almost day, I would make your death quick and painless, but I think I'm going to enjoy watching you burn," She pulled out a black wand and pointed it at them each, "Entori." Sharp vines erupted out of the ground, and before either of them could react, they were being wrapped in the thorny ropes and being pulled out toward the women. They struggled but the vines were to powerful. Each had their fangs extended and their eyes the full black color. They snarled at her while she smiled sweetly, "Feisty aren't we. Let's see who we have here," She waved her wand and a low level light beamed from it. She held it close to Sage's face first, "Oh! What a pleasant surprise. Sir Sage Amanar, brother to the Emperor, part of the oldest family of Vampires,” Then she switched it to Aman, “And another council member, Aman Dilje. What are you doing sneaking out of the boundaries? Even more importantly, how did you do it? Speak!" The vines tightened around Sage's waist.
         He sputtered, and began talking, "Rowan is being a Good Samaritan, and won't allow us to feed on the living. We needed to feed." The vines loosened slightly.
         "Keep going."
         "We just snuck out. I don't know how we weren't caught."
         "Liar!" She screamed, causing the vines to tighten and snap bones, "I've tried 'sneaking' and it didn't work! So you tell me the truth! Or I'll leave you here to burn."
         "Okay! We bribed the wolves."
         "Ahh. I see now. Well then. I shall spare you from the burning. How much do you think the Emperor will give me for turning you two in?" She saw how Aman's dark skin paled, and she cackled, “Very well off to the castle we go, I may accidently step into sunlight. I truly hope you don’t mind.” She belted a laugh again and set off, the bound vampires dragging behind her.
© Copyright 2011 Evangiline (parisrizzi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820284-Only-Time-Runs-with-Blood-Ch1