*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821443-Fifteen
Rated: · Short Story · Relationship · #1821443
About a teen getting pregnant, her parents are going through a divorce and people drink.
I couldn’t help but think how perfect my life was on a late Saturday, just hanging out with my boyfriend Ryan. That was what I was thinking till my phone started ringing and it was my mother which was very unusual. My mother rarely called me; she would text me if she needed something. I answered my phone. “Ashlee you need to be coming home honey, there is something I need to tell you.” I questioned why but my mother ignored me and told me I need to be dropped off by Ryan. I said goodbye to my mother and went to talk to Ryan. I told him I had to go at this very second.
Ryan and I were three years apart. He had his own apartment that was only 30 minutes away from my parent’s house. I would stay at Ryan’s house on the weekends. We had been dating for a year and a few months.
As I got into Ryan’s car, I realized I would have to confess to my mother and father that I am pregnant. I had told Ryan the night before that I was pregnant. We felt like we were the happiest couple in the world. We hardly fought or argued about things. We truly loved each other which is partly why I wasn’t thinking my pregnancy was such a big deal. I knew Ryan wouldn’t leave me. When we pulled up to the house I noticed that my father’s truck was gone which was unusual because he would be home by now. As I opened the door I saw that my mother was sitting at the dining room table all alone. I was worried something was wrong as I sat down and saw my mother with tears rolling down her face. We both didn’t say anything at first. “Your father and I have been trying to fix things but it’s not working” my mother said. I was frozen. I couldn’t believe what my mother just said. The only thing I felt like doing was crying. “What?” I asked. It was like I didn’t even hear my mother when she was talking. “Your father and I have been fighting a lot lately.” My mother said. “I haven’t even noticed that you two were fighting” I said still frozen to my seat.” Well you have been at Ryan’s house a lot and haven’t been home on the weekends.” My mother said. “What’s going to happen now then?” I asked my mother. My mother answered me with “I don’t know”. I finally got the strength to get up and walk to my bedroom.
An hour later there was a knock at my door. I walked over to open my door and it was my father. I couldn’t keep it in anymore as I went up to him and gave him a big hug and cried on his shoulder. We went out to eat so my father could tell me the whole story. We went to our favorite restaurant the “Olive Garden”. We went there just the two of us when we wanted to talk or just catch up on things. I was closer to my father than my mother. My mother never had the time to sit and talk to me between the two of us. He told me I shouldn’t be mad at anybody for this divorce. “It’s both our faults we didn’t tell you ahead of time that we were fighting.” My father said. On the drive back to the house we stopped at an ice cream shop. When we were about to leave I saw my best friend Morgan. “Morgan!” I screamed. Morgan’s head ripped around and saw me. It had been a week since I saw Morgan. Morgan was on vacation in Mexico with her whole family. We ran to each other and hugged. I started to cry as I gave Morgan a hug. We said our goodbyes and then my dad and I left.
When we got home all the lights were off. My father had to sleep in the guest room for the night. I felt really sick after eating the ice cream.
It was Friday and I was so happy. I woke up and got ready for school. Ryan would be at my house in an hour to take me to school. I went down stairs and had breakfast. I then realized both my parents were gone. My mother worked from home and my father didn’t start work till 9:00. I cleaned up my plate and got my stuff for school. When Ryan arrived he knew something wasn’t right with me. “My parents are getting a divorce.” I said. Ryan looked at me in shock. Ryan had known my parents for a while to know that this was very strange. “They had been fighting on the weekends when I’m not around.”I said. Ryan gave me a hug then got into the car. “Did you tell your parents that you are pregnant?” Ryan asked. I didn’t say anything and Ryan knew that answer was no. Morgan was waiting for me in the front of the school. “I need to tell you something” I said as I walked up to Morgan. “What? Is it to do with your parents? I’m here if you need me”. Morgan said.” I’ll tell you after school. Maybe we can hang out this weekend”.”I’m not busy tonight if you want to talk to me tonight?” “That works” I said. Ryan picked me up after school. I told him I was going over Morgan’s for the night. He took me back to my house. Only my father was home when I got home.
“Hi dad, how was your day?” I asked my father.
“It wasn’t the best. How was your day?” My father asked me.
“It wasn’t so bad. I’m staying over Morgan’s tonight.” I told my father.
“Ok, your mother won’t be back till Monday. She had a business trip to go on.” My father told me.
“Oh she didn’t tell me anything about a business trip. She has been very distant with me lately.” I said.
“She has been distant with both of us. Want me to make us dinner before you go to Morgan’s?” My father said.
“What is there to eat? I looked earlier and there was like nothing.” I told my father.
“Well then I will just order Chinese food.” does that sound good?” He asked me.
“Sure” I answered my dad.
I didn’t really feel like eating Chinese food. At the thought of it I got sick. But I wanted to make my dad happy. It’s hard keeping my pregnancy inside. Especially since, I tell my dad everything that goes on in my life. I invited Ryan over for dinner, well actually my dad did. He loves seeing me happy when I’m with Ryan. Ryan came in right after the food arrived. We ate then, he drove me to Morgan’s house.
When I arrived at Morgan’s house her parents were both home. Morgan’s parents liked me but I was hoping they weren’t home so I could tell her the news alone. I rang the door bell. Morgan’s dad opened the door and let me come in. We went straight up to her room.
“What do you have to tell me?” Morgan asked me.
“I was hoping it would only be us tonight and not your parents.” I said.
“They are going out in like an hour.” Morgan said
“Ok, I’ll tell you when they leave then.” I told her.
“Ok” Morgan said.
That was the end of our conversation. We sat in her room watching movies until her parents left.” Knock-Knock” it was Morgan’s mother.” We are leaving now. We probably won’t be back for a few hours. There is money on the table if you want to order pizza. Love you bye.” “Bye mom.” Morgan said. After we saw them drive away we ran down stairs and order pizza and started to eat junk food. We ran back up stairs and continued watching the movie. Morgan pressed pause on the remote to pause the movie. We looked at each other.
“Why are you eating so much all of a sudden?” Morgan asked me.
“What do you mean? I always eat this much.” I answered back. I didn’t want to tell her at that moment but she went on.
“You seem like you are eating a lot lately, are you sick?” Morgan asked.
“Not exactly” I answered her.
She looked at me with a confused look. I didn’t say anything to her. Then the doorbell rang. It was the pizza man. Morgan ran down stairs and got it. I knew I would have to tell her the truth tonight but I was starting not to feel so good. I ran to her bathroom and started to throw up. She came back up right as I was leaving her bathroom. I brushed my teeth so she wouldn’t expect anything till she opened up the pizza box and the smell made me sick again. I ran back into her bathroom. This time I knew I would have to tell her what was going on with me. I brushed my teeth and went back to her room. When I came into her room she just looked at me. I didn’t say anything and either did her for at least ten minutes. I looked up at her and asked what she was thinking.
“Right now I don’t know what to think.” Morgan said.
I looked down and started to eat the pizza. She looked at me again. Then she took a piece of pizza. It was awkward between her and me at this point. We finished the pizza and went down stairs and got cookie dough ice cream. It’s what we always ate when the other person needed to tell the other person something important.
“Are you sick?”Morgan asked me again.
“I wouldn’t call it sick.” I answered her.

“What would you call it then?” Morgan asked.
I ate some more ice cream. This was hard to say for some reason. I looked at her.
“I just found this out while you were on vacation.” I said.
“What is it?”She asked
“I’m…” I tried to talk.
“You are what?” Morgan asked.
“I am pregnant.”I finally told her.
We both didn’t say anything. We didn’t even look at each other. It was silent through the whole house. I felt sick again but didn’t feel like moving this time. I felt alone at this moment…
“You’re not kidding are you, bout you being pregnant. If you are it’s not funny. If you think I needed a good laugh your wrong? This is nothing to joke around about. I know you and Ryan have had sex before. Are you serious? Morgan was furious when she was finally done talking. She looked at me waiting for a response but I couldn’t talk. I sat there frozen on her floor.
“Hello. Ashlee!” I looked up at Morgan with a sad impression on my face. She stopped talking and sat back down beside me.
“I didn’t know you would flip out like this, you’re my best friend. Obviously you aren’t happy for me and Ryan. This was hard to tell you and I was hoping you could come with me to tell my parents.” I stood up and started to walk to the bathroom. I turned around and told her that I’m going to be leaving soon. I came out of the bathroom and decided not to leave since it was really late and I was really tired. Morgan slept in her room and I slept in a guess room. I woke up the next morning feeling really sick. I ran to Morgan’s bathroom. When I came out she was in her room.
“Want some breakfast? My dad is making waffles, French toast, eggs, bacon, and sausage. You love his French toast.” Morgan said as I sat down on her bed. I shook my head yes and we ran downstairs to the kitchen. I sat down at the table while Morgan got us glasses of milk. Her dad was almost done cooking when we got to the kitchen. Morgan sat down next to me and the table. We were silent. Her dad finally finished up the food and we ate like pigs. We finished up breakfast and went back upstairs. I gathered my stuff and called Ryan.
“Do you still want me to come with you to tell your parents that you’re pregnant? I know we fought last night but I’m your best friend and I’ll be here for you.” Morgan said as I got off the phone with Ryan.
“That’s fine.” I’m going to tell them today. Well actually only my dad cause my mom is on a business trip.”I told Morgan.
“Ok, I’ll have my dad drop me off later on.” Morgan said
Ok I said as Ryan pulled up to the house. I grabbed my stuff and went down stairs. I said bye to her parents and got into Ryan’s car. He drove us back to his apartment. I told him tonight I was going to tell my parents.
“Do you want me to come with you? I could help tell them if you don’t want to do it all yourself.”Ryan asked me.
No, Morgan is coming with me. Her dad is dropping her off later on. I don’t think it would be very safe if you came with me.” I told Ryan.
He agreed with me and we sat down on his couch to watch TV. We fell asleep for two hours and woke up with my phone going off. (Ring Ring) I jumped up and grabbed my phone. It was Morgan.
“Hello?”I answered my phone.
“What time should my dad drop me off?” Morgan asked me. I was still trying to wake up when I saw the time and it was 7:48. My dad wanted me home by 8. I screamed into the phone and woke Ryan up.
“I’ll be at my house in like an hour so come over then.” I told Morgan. I hung up the phone.
“Why did you scream?” Ryan asked as he slowly got up from the couch.
“Cause my dad wanted me home by 8.” We then ran to his car and got in.
By the time we got to my house Morgan was waiting in the driveway. Ryan had to go see his parents for a little so it was just going to be me and Morgan telling my dad. We walked through the door and saw both my parents sitting down at the table. I was in shock. I was really hoping it would just be me and my dad tonight. Morgan ran and put her stuff in my room she decided to stay over tonight. I walked into the dining room with a confused look on my face.
I thought you were on a business trip I said as I sat down at the table. My mom looked up and looked at me.
“I came back early.” My mother said. I could tell that was the end of that conversation.
“Your mother is going to be getting her own apartment in about a month.” My father said to me. Morgan then walked in and sat down beside me. “You and I will continue living here if that’s ok with you?” My dad asked.
“Yea that’s fine.” I said. “I have something to tell you. It’s about me and Ryan… I started to feel sick and wanting to cry as the words came out. I continued. I and he are expecting…the words came out really slow. Morgan looked at me and saw a tear come down. I looked up to find my mother had left the table. When I was talking I had my head down and didn’t even notice. I looked at my dad. He didn’t say or do anything. I was worried now.
“How did this happen?”My dad asked as he looked up at me.
“When I would go over Ryan’s house we did stuff…”I answered my dad just as my mom was walking in. She just looked at me in surprise then I noticed she was crying.
“I’m sorry if you two are disappointed in me.” I said as I looked back down. My mom walked over to the closet and took out suitcase. Before she walked out of the room and turned and said” I’ll be packing if you need me. You are too young to be having a baby. Don’t expect to come to my apartment when you need help after the baby is here.” Then she walked out of the room and up stairs. I felt the tears coming down my face when my dad stood up and came over to hug me. I got up and started to ball my eyes out as I hugged him. “You will be a great mother, I love you.”He said to me as we hugged. “I love you too.” I said to him. After that my dad, me and Morgan went out for ice cream. We all started talking about what is going to happen now. When we got back to the house my mom had thrown my dad’s stuff all over the house. Morgan and I ran up to my room to find my stuff all trashed and thrown everywhere. We got our stuff and ran down to the living room. My dad came down and told us to get into his truck. We ran to his truck and got in. My dad came out teen minutes later and took us to Morgan’s house. We stayed over her house that night. The next morning her mom drove us back to my house. I walked up to my front door and unlocked it. When I walked in things were everywhere. I walked up to my parent’s room and saw my entire mom’s stuff was gone. I then walked into my room and my stuff was cleaned up. I went down stairs and found my dad making breakfast.
“I heard you walk in so I started breakfast. Have you eaten yet or no?”
“No I haven’t.” I said as I sat down at the table. He finished up the pancakes he was making and got two plates and glasses of milk then sat down beside me. We ate our breakfast in silence besides our forks toughing our plates.
“I’m going to ask Ryan if I can move in with him if that’s okay?” I asked my dad.
“Why do you need to move in with Ryan?” My dad asked me.
“I don’t want to be in the middle of your fights with mom anymore. I got really scared last night.”I said.
“I understand now. Call him and ask him so we can pack you up. How long do you think you will be moved out for?”My dad asked.
“Until you and mom stop fighting and throwing stuff.”I answered him.
“Okay.” He was silent after that. I finished eating then went up to my room and called Ryan.
“Hello?” Ryan asked as he answered the phone.
“Its Ashlee, can I ask you something?” I said to him.
“Of course you can, ask me anything babe.” Ryan said.
“Could I move in with you for a few weeks or months? At least until my parent’s divorce is finalized and my mom is officially moved out.” I asked Ryan.
‘Of course you can stay as long as you need to.” Ryan said. As I hung up the phone with him I started packing.
The week went so fast and before I knew it, it was the weekend again. Ryan picked me up after school and we went to his apartment. Last night we had a fight and this morning my dad drove me to school since Ryan had been drinking. When we got to his apartment he got out a beer from the fridge. That night I and he got into a fight so I decided to start drinking. Not thinking about the baby I got drunk and the fight got worst as the night went on. Throughout the week my parents had been fighting so I couldn’t go back home for the night. Ryan passed out on the couch and I went to my room. The next morning I woke Ryan up and made him breakfast. I then told him to go to a class for drinking problems. Later that day Morgan and me went to the doctors to check up on the baby. My dad came and picked me up. The next day I woke up and told my dad Ryan was going to rehab for his drinking.
A month later Ryan and I were doing really good and so was the baby. My parents divorce was finally finalized and my mom moved to New York for her job. I moved back in with my dad after she moved out. Ryan’s mom and dad came and saw me and Ryan more and more now that I was pregnant. Ryan eventually moved in with me and my dad so he could be closer when the baby came. I still talk to my mom on the phone and we write letters to each other.

© Copyright 2011 mc is awsome (alliwantisyou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821443-Fifteen