*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821444-The-Girl-That-Believes-in-Time
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Inspirational · #1821444
A girl loses her home, and lives in a car until she believes in time.
“The Girl Who Believes in Time”





My life story or even my life isn’t very interesting. But I’m going to tell you something that is going to make you believe in time. To start off my name is Katy. I’m not popular, not skinny as every other girl in this school. But I have two great friends, one is Emma and another is Nikky. My life was great, a-b student, great friends ya, who wouldn’t be happy with that. It was just a normal day at school. “Hey Katy, What are you doing?”

“Oh, hey Emma,” I said. I was confused. Emma never came to school on time. And in the mornings she was hanging with her boyfriend all the time. She was a popular kid. Blond, skinny as she would get, but she still called herself fat. “I was just studying for my math test today, Ms. Kennedy has been really packing homework on us and test. What are you doing here this early?”

“I had morning detention. I have to come on time now or I won’t be able to come to school anymore”, she didn’t sound mad or depressed about that. I would cry like there was no tomorrow. But right after she said that Nikky comes over like she was going to hurt someone.

“What is wrong with you today?” I was really worried of what she would say.

“Oh nothing you should be worried about. Only thing you care about is school.” Nikky said with all anger pointing at me.

“Did your boyfriend cheat on you, or did you cheat on him”, I said with all of my anger, well at least some.

“I just saw him with another girl and I broke up with him”, Nikky sounded really proud of that. She is a girl to date down. But how do I know. I never had a boyfriend and never even been kissed.

“We should be getting to class, I don’t want to be late at least,” Emma said quickly she didn’t care she just wanted to sleep. Well we all walked to our class. It was our normal day at school and well boring. Emma and Nikky both slept in class. I couldn’t blame them, it was science and we learned this stuff years ago.

The school day was over and I just wanted to get home as fast as I could. It was late November, close to my birthday I might add. Well once I got home I saw my mom, Ann crying on the floor. Only thing I could think of is that she hurt herself.

“Mom, whats wrong?” I said trying to make her stop.

“Honey, just do me a favor… go in your room and start to pack up,” she said with trying not to make me scared but it was too late for that.

“Why, what happened today,” I was so scared even for my life. I could believe what was going on.

“I lost my job, I have a notice on the back door. We have to leave today.” She cried even harder than before. I wanted to make her stop but she wouldn’t.

“Where are we going to go?” I started to cry and I knew I wouldn’t stop.

“Just pack up okay, not everything. Just clothes, stuff like that. Just put all that in the car.” My mom said that so fast I really didn’t hear but I did. I went in my room and packed up some of my clothes that I wear, two pairs of shoes, and headed for the car. All of my mom’s stuff was in there. We left the house we were at and didn’t look back. I had no clue where we were going or anything.

“Do you have a plan or anything?” it took her a long while to answer back.

“Katy, I have no clue. I’m scared of whats going to happen. We only have $200 to last us until I get a job.” She said that in a calm manner. I was a little scared but I stopped my crying.

“Okay. But why don’t we just live in the car,” I already knew we were going to do that. “And why don’t you get an easy job and save up the money for a house or something?” I was hoping that she would do that. It wasn’t the best plan but a good one for right now.

“Katy, you’re a very smart kid and this just proved it. I’m going to find somewhere around here to get a job and save up.” She felt very confident in herself. It was starting to get dark and places were closing but I knew what she was thinking. She was going to a bar and try to get a job there. She saw a place that was open and saw a help wanted sign on the window. She stopped the car so fast I thought she saw a animal right in front of her. She told me to wait in the car and where else was I going to go with all drunken guys out.

My mom came out with the best news ever. She got a job. But then she told me something depressing. “Katy, I got the job…. But you can’t go to school anymore. Sorry.” She looked at me with really sad eyes and gave me a hug.

“Why can’t I go to school? I could walk, you don’t have to drive me, I could use some exercise.” I could say more but she stopped me before I could say anymore.

“I would love if you were able to go to school, but you are not able to get clean clothes every day. I asked the guy if I could use the back of the bar for somewhere we could both sleep. And he said yes.” She paused for a minute or two. “The guy that owns this place owns the house right by here. I asked him if we could take showers. I asked if you could work for him too, but only when they close you can clean up everything. You’ll get payed $50 a day.” She thought, well at least through her words that she would think I’m happy.

“You could ask if he would be able to wash our clothes.” I was so mad. I had to hold all of my anger back.

“Sweetie, I’m sorry I forgot to ask I’m sorry. But I don’t want to ask too much.” She said that is a sad and mellow tone. I knew she was depressed but I kind understand where she is coming from.

“Well, okay I guess. So what time does your shift start and with mine?” I just wanted to change the subject fast. And I was wondering that too.

“I don’t really know you but I start at 5pm every day” she was a little upset that she starts at five but yet happy. She seems happy that she got a job and I have one too.

“But…never mind I’m going to take a nap in the back okay” I was upset. I didn’t know when or if we were going to spent any time together. Ann didn’t say anything to me. I was happy but yet I still wanted to cry my eyes out. I sleep in a bar, I don’t get clean closes all the time, and I don’t get to see my mom. Now when I look back at my old life I see a wonderful life. I just wish that I could go back to that and stay there. So if there is anyone out there that has a wonderful life and doesn’t think so, there are other people that don’t have and they would trade with you in a heartbeat.

“Okay sweetie, sleep tight. I love you.” She still sounded depressed. And in some ways she should. Ya leaving us on the streets, well basically. I always felt like I had some where to go. Well anyways I didn’t wanna say I love you back cause I just didn’t….i couldn’t it was too hard on me to say it’s okay.

They next few days were the same things over and over again. Mom was at the bar, not just at five pm at like noon. I felt like unwanted. But my life could be worse, that’s what I keep telling myself. And I would take only naps, go for walks, and work at the bar, even if I didn’t want to. I miss my friends so much. Laughing, talking about all the people we hate all of that wasn’t there anymore.

That night that I thought of Emma and Nikky, my two best friends I cried non-stop. No one had any idea that I cried all the time. But then I had a great dream. Of my mom and me getting out of this dump. Hanging out, playing games together. But you still have to wake up and realize that it’s just a dream.

That same morning I went for a walk and I saw Emma walking with her boyfriend….her new boyfriend. “Katy?....Katy!!” she screamed so loud that I thought that my ear was going to fall off. She ran as fast as she could and gave me a hug.

“Where have you been? I haven’t seen you in forever. I miss you so much.”

“I know. I miss you too. It’s a long story.” I was hoping that she would just end it like that.

“Well… we could go walk or eat somewhere and you could tell me what happened.”

“The only way we could eat is if you pay.” I gave her a hint, but I didn’t really believe that she got it that well.

“Okay, let’s go. Well go tell your mom first and then we can go.” She just smiled and laughed. I ran to go tell my mom but I couldn’t find her right there. I just told the owner to tell her. We went to a small place, no busy, nothing. And to be honest I didn’t care, would probably be better then peanuts. We sat down and ordered our food. Her boyfriends left us alone the whole time to talk, which was nice of him to do that.

“So, what happened to you?” while she was still chewing her food like a cow.

“Well where to start, the last time I was in school I came home and my mom was crying and she told me to pack up my things, we’re leaving. I didn’t know what was happening. Then she told me she lost her job and there was a notice on one of the doors and we had to leave. I packed up my stuff and we left. My mom got a job at the bar over there.” Emma stopped me so she could talk.

“The one that is red, tall, and looks like it’s going to fall down soon.” She went very descriptive on that.

“Yes, well anyways and my mom asked instead of sleeping in our car that we could sleep in the bar. And we’re able to. And I can also work there $50 a day and we are trying to save up for a house. But it isn’t going that well,” I was starting to cry so I stopped. Emma came over on my side and gave me a hug. I needed one so bad.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry for you, you could of stayed with me until you found a way out, and you should know that.” Well I didn’t really think about it that well. But after thinking about it I would still do this the bar and all of that. I like to go through all this with my mom. Yes, everyone else would go with their friends but I didn’t even think about that at all.

“I didn’t even think of that,” a few minutes of waiting, “I would still go with working at the bar.” She had a very confused face after I said that.

“Okay then.” I didn’t think that, that was what she was going to say. Well we were both done eating so she walked me to where I so called lived. Her boyfriend was holding her hand. Right before I left she said something and I won’t forget it. “Hey where did you fat go? Did you leave it behind?” I laughed so hard. But it was really nice to say it. She left and I went back inside. My mother was there but she was so mad at me, I didn’t know why she would be.

“Where have you been? I have been so worried!” she screamed that to me.

“I told him to tell that I say Emma and we talked” I pointed to the owner and I think he didn’t tell her on purpose.

“Fine whatever.” And that was a code for (ya right you saw Emma, you probably been smoking things.)I just walked away.

I looked at our money jar that we used to save up. It was all gone! Where did it go? We had $1,000 in there. I thought we had a good chance to find a house. I fell to the ground in tears.

“Mom, did you take the money in the jar?!” I was furious.

“No I didn’t. Why?”

“It’s all gone!!” I replied

“What?” she also fell to the ground in tears.

“Do you have any idea of what we are going to do now?” I was scared as can be.

“I honestly have no clue. But I’m going to ask around.” She felt confident. So I also felt confident in her. She asked everyone she could think of and we had no clue. But we found out later that the owner took the money back.

“Why would you take our money from us?” my mom said in a sad tone.

“Because you took showers in my house and you don’t deserve to keep this money for that.

“ But why!! You have no right to do that, you even know what is going on with us. No house nothing.” I would say worse but my mom doesn’t like my swearing.

“I need money too, you know. And I think it’s a fair trade.” He sounded like he was going to hit me. But if he did, I wasn’t in the mood for all that stuff.

“Ya really you need the money, you have a place to work and live so why do you need the money. You don’t even care what happens to us. Only thing you want is to see young ladies every day, since we are the only one that would talk to an ugly, fat man like you!!!” I screamed that in his face and I hoped I spit on him. Cause in my option he was dirt nothing better than that. He didn’t say anything for a little while.

“Katy, why would you say that to him? He gave us food and water.” My mom said once the owner went inside really quick.

“Well if you wanna work with someone that just doesn’t care about anybody but himself, fine. But I’m not.” Out of my whole entire life that was the meanest thing I ever said to my mom. And I was shocked how much I change not having a place to live and everything. I think I finally know when I should stick up for myself. My mom didn’t say anything to forever but then she finally said something.

“Your right, I shouldn’t have to work for someone like that. Well if you want to let’s get our stuff and leave.” I was shocked that she said that to me.

“Mom, whenever you’re ready to leave just tell me.” I already knew that we were leaving so I got all my stuff and we left somewhere for a second time. But just started to believe that one day we’ll find a home. We drove back to our old house and it had already been taken from another family. My mom thought of a great plan to ask the school if she could be a cleaning person and I could still get my education. I was shocked that she even thought of that I wouldn’t think of that. The school told her yes.

“What! Really!! They are letting you work there? I’m so happy now!!” I was so excited about that. Well my mom cleaned the school all the time and never got to see but I still got to see my friends. That was a highlight of my life. But after a couple days my friends said they were taking me and my mom to go eat good food.

“You two are going to love the food. It’s great.” Emma said happy as could be.

“Okay.” I smiled but I was really scared. We went to a parking lot so I wasn’t as scared as before. We had this bus parked beside of us and everyone from our school beside it. I was a little scared with that.

“What is going on?” my mom was a little mad.

“Walk around the bus and you’ll find out” Nikky was so happy. My mom took my hand and went around the bus. My mom fell in to tears.

“This is from the school to you, a new house. You don’t have to pay anything on it.” Emma said.

“Why did you do this for us?”

“Well we are a family” Nikky said. I cried so hard I didn’t think I would stop.

“Thank you so much. We can’t even think how to repay you.” My mom was great full for it. No one said a word. But the only thing I could think of is that, everything happens in time. And from then on never forgot about that. So I was the girl that believes in time.

© Copyright 2011 Caroline Kennedy (pie3pumpkin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821444-The-Girl-That-Believes-in-Time