*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821459-Score-from-50
by carlos
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1821459
Doug freeman is a cop for Blue town and finds out he has to help some one of an odd role.
There were police everywhere scattered all around the city looking for one man. He is wanted for grand theft auto all around the country of the United States. He as stolen five cars in past month. The cops are on him good as they pursuit into a high speed car chase.
“I’ve got him; he’s coming down through 65. He’ll wish he was never born” said Officer Doug Freeman. As the chase goes on out of town and into the country side he starts to run out of gas.
“He’s ours boys!” said Officer Freeman. Oh and Officer Freeman, yeah that’s me. As I chased this man out of town we hit a dead end, well a cliff. So to try and save himself he jumped off the cliff hurtling into nothing but water and rocks, plus a navy ship.
“We got him” I said as we called the navy to let them know. With that we met up with the navy and had him handed over and exchanged thankyou’s.
On August, 5 2011, at the court house the trial for Dominic Vetitary began. I myself was there along with my best friends, my crew, Officer Jordan Star, Officer Jason Marks, and Officer Bob Sanchez. Officer Jordan Star has been my friend since fourth grade; we always hung out as kids. We’d play cops and robbers every day after school. But it wasn’t always good times, on March 15th 1995 his mother died a car accident from a drunk driver. Ever since then he has always been very uptight about drinking and driving. Officer Jason Marks came into the force approximately five years ago. Before the force he was a mail man. One day while being a mail man me and my crew were chasing a criminal, well Officer Marks saw the criminal, ran, and tackled him. We took in Officer Marks and timed him in a 40 yard dash. He ran a three point eight. Ever since then he was with our crew. Officer Bobby Sanchez came in to the force less than a year ago. He came in because he wanted to be a soldier but did not make it as a soldier. Officer Sanchez is very muscular. He benches between two hundred and thirty to three hundred and twenty pounds. He is definitely the muscle man of the group. The trial went on,”All rise for the honorable Judge Joe Brown” said an officer. We stood up and then back down into the rock hard wooden things they call chairs. After we sat down Commissioner Gordon came over to me saying he needed to have a word with me, so we went in the back and started talking.
“Now I know this won’t be easy to put on you Doug but I need someone to watch over the prisoner after he gets out and goes to community service and you are the most trustworthy so you’re my man” said Commissioner Gordon waiting for my response by staring me in the eye to the point I have to say yes, he always does that when he needs something from me.
“Sir” I said.
“Yes Doug?” he said.
“I will take your order but, if this man harms my boy, my little girl, or my wife this will be the last time I do anything like this” I said with a strong confident look into his eyes to try and counteract against his “special look” he gives me.
“I understand” he said giving the glummest look I had ever seen on that man’s face. I went back to my seat and thought about what he was asking of me. To think my boss just told me that right after the man that had shot at me and my crew, stole countless numbers of cars, and could now probably care less what happens to him, gets out of 15 years of jail, I have to watch over him which means I have to look out for him while he shot at me before. I heard he played pro soccer for Italy too. What is this world coming to?
After the trial I went to visit my new “friend” as I called him. As I pulled into Bluetown asylum there were two police cars already parked. Three cops sat on an old rusty bench drinking coffee and talking about what they did today. As I passed them going into the huge building I greeted them with a “hello”. They said hi back. As I walked in the lady at the counter said
“Hello officer how can I help you?”
“Can you take me to prisoner 576’s cell?” I said. She got up walked around her desk and said
“Right this way sir”.
“Thank you” I said. We walked down a hallway which led to a staircase at the end of the hallway. As we walked up the stairs I saw we had two flights to go. I had seen that the building had been redone. As we climbed the staircase we finally got to cell 576.
“Here you are, room 576, Dominic Vetitary” she said with a smile.
“Thank you again” I said.
“You’re welcome” she said. As I opened the cell door with the key the lady gave me I saw that a dark gloomy character appeared and just stared at me. He sat quietly on his cell bed.
“Hello” I said. “My name is-” and before I could say another word he said
“I know who you are”.
“Look, I know what happened with us before but maybe we can change that, I mean I’m supposed to help you when you get out of jail, you know this, right?” I said.
“I don’t need any help” he replied.
“Well it’s not that you need help but let’s just say they don’t want you out there without it” I said.
“Whatever” he said.
“Well I’m here to discuss what you are going to do after jail” I said.
“How long is my probation?” he asked.
“One year” I replied.
“Ha, just enough for a soccer season” he mumbled.
“Hey, that’s a great idea” I said.
“What’s a good idea” he asked lost.
“Blue town has a soccer league called B.A.S.T. They aren’t that good but with your help as a coach I bet we would really soar!” I explained.
“I don’t know about this Doug” he said.
“All you have to do is teach them for a season of soccer and then you’re done, plus it would really do you good. Just think about it. I’ll come back tomorrow and you can tell me if you’re interested” I said.
“Ok” he shrugged with a sigh.
The next day I had a three to seven shift at the police station. It was an easy day, went home ate dinner with my kids and then went to the asylum. When I got there we started to talk about if he was going to do the job or not immediately.
“I’ll do it as long as I get to talk to the kids before I do it” he said. This caught my attention that a criminal wants to talk to children? Why would he want to do that I asked myself.
“May I ask why?” I replied.
“Not all criminals are dark, stone cold killers Doug. And just because a criminal does something doesn’t mean he thinks its right.” He explained.
“I don’t want to go there and the kids think that I’m cool for what I did” he said.
“I respect that. You know it takes guts to do that Dominic” I said.
“I might as well, I got nothing to lose” he said.
“You know you really aren’t as bad as I thought you were” I said.
“Ha you either” said Dominic with a smirk on his face.
“Well okay I will see you tomorrow” I said.
“Okay bye” he said.
Ten years later, I went to the asylum for the last time. I saw him come out of the cell with the happiest grin I ever seen. He stopped as the guard unlocked his hand cuffs. We walked out of the building like it was the best day ever. I took him home with me and introduced him to my family. I let him sleep in the guest room for a week in till he found a job then he moved into an apartment. He coached the U15 boys’ soccer team for B.A.S.T. They went to state finals. There was one minute left in the second half. The score was two to two. The mid-fielder Brian Moore was dribbling up the field shot and scored a floater right over the goalies head. All his friends crowded him. They all screamed “You did it! You did it!” He scored from fifty.
Dominic Vetitary stayed coaching for B.A.S.T. soccer. He really bonded with the kids. He later on married one of the kid’s mom on the team. The end.

© Copyright 2011 carlos (jman1234 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821459-Score-from-50