*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821492-A-Little-Miracle
Rated: 13+ · Article · Adult · #1821492
Teenage pregnancy dealing with drugs & alcohol. Amanda makes a very tough decision.
School was ending. It was the last week of school. Everyone was excited. Madison and I knew what we were going to do this summer. Smoke, drink, & party. Yeah we’re young, what’s your point? We just want to have fun. The last day of school arrived. I spent the whole day with Madison. We couldn’t wait to get out of Amherst. Later after school I went to Madison’s house.

“Madison I need to talk to you,” said Amanda.

“Yeah, what you need to talk about now?”

“Well you’re my best friend. We’ve been best friends for 9 years. And what I’m about to tell you is going to change both of our lives.”

“Um, what is it? You’re starting to worry me,” said Madison.

“Okay, here goes. I’m pregnant.”

“Hahaha what do you mean you’re pregnant? Aren’t you on the pill & are you using condoms?”

“Yeah, but DJ & I were drunk one night, and one thing led to another. I can’t remember if we used protection or not,” Amanda said.

“Amanda you can’t be pregnant. Not you.”

“Madison, I’m a month late on my period. So what’s that telling you?”

“Well, I’m late on mine all the time and I’m not pregnant?”

“This is different. Even though I’m on the pill & using protection I still got pregnant. How am I going to tell my parents? Do you realize what’s going to happen?”

Madison said, “Amanda just breathe. I know you’re nervous and scared. So am I. Are your parents going to kick you out?”

“I don’t know Madison. I don’t. Once they find out my life is ruined. There goes my life. My dreams. No college for me. I’ll never get married or be in a relationship again. No man wants a young girl with a baby.”

“Amanda, you’re thinking about all the negatives. Just stop. Stop thinking about this. I know this is going to be hard. I’m going to talk to my mom & Randy and see if you can stay here for awhile.”

         I went into Madison’s room and balled my eyes out. I’m scared of what’s going to happen. I haven’t talked to DJ for a few days so I thought that I should call him & tell him what’s going on.

“Hello”

“Hello”

“What’s up,” DJ said.

“Nothing much I need to talk to you. It’s really important.”

“What is it?”

“Remember that night when we were at that apartment and we were smoking & drinking?”

“(Laughs) Yeah, how could I forget that night?”

“Okay. Well did we use protection?”

DJ said, “I don’t think so. We just got down to business. Didn’t have time to put protection on.”

“Really DJ? That’s how you feel. I’m 15 & you’re 18. And you want to know something?”

“What now Amanda.”

“I’m pregnant. The baby is yours. And I’m keeping it,” I said.

“(Laughs) you’re not pregnant. Stop lying. You’re just trying to keep me around when you know that I want nothing to do with you now. That night was just a onetime thing. You took it too far.”

“DJ we have been talking for 6 months. What do you expect? Of course I took it too far. I thought we were going to be together.  Now I’m pregnant with your child and you want nothing to do with me?”

“Look Amanda I know that you aren’t pregnant. Quit your lying.”

“Okay DJ whatever you say. I’m going to the doctors tomorrow to see if I’m pregnant. I’ll have the papers to prove it.”

“Alright Amanda I don’t have time for this.”

DJ hung the phone up. I can’t believe he thinks I’m lying. Why would I lie about something like this? It takes two people to make a child. Now he wants nothing to do with me or his unborn child.

I went to the doctors the next day. The whole car ride I was shaking. My hands were sweating. Madison’s mom brought me to the doctors, since I’m staying with her. We walked into the doctor’s office.

“Hello, do you have an appointment?”

“No, I need to find out if my child’s best friend is pregnant. Her parents don’t know anything about this,” said Melody.

“Okay, just fill out these papers.”

Melody, Madison, & I sat down and filled out the papers. I had to answer about 100 questions. It was a lot. There was this one part of the questions and it asked if I have been smoking & drinking. I wasn’t going to lie. So I circled yes. On the last page of the papers it asked about the father. First thing that ran across my head was DJ. They asked if I wanted to have the baby’s father in mine & my unborn child’s life. It had me thinking hard. At times I wanted DJ to be there for me & his child, but then again I didn’t. He even said he didn’t want anything to do with me. Since I was having mixed emotions about this one question, I left if blank. I went up to the desk and gave the papers back to the assistant. I waited about 20 minutes before the doctor called me back.

“Amanda Weaver.”

Madison, Melody, & I all stood up and I walked towards the doctor.

“I’m Amanda. This is my friend and her mom.”

“Hello, I’m Doctor Glasgow. Now I was reading your papers and I see that you’re here to find out if you are pregnant correct?”

“Yes.”

“Okay. I also saw that you said you have been drinking & smoking.”

“Yes.”

“What all have you been smoking?”

“Weed,” I said.

“Alright then. Are you aware that it’s bad for you to drink and smoke while pregnant?”

         “Yes, but I didn’t know if I was pregnant or not.”

“Very well. I’m going to ask you to lift your shirt up. I’m going to put some cold gel onto your belly & turn the lights off.”

         “Doctor Can I ask what you’re doing?”

         “It’s called an Ultrasound. We rub gel onto your stomach. Then we take a camera and rub it on your belly, and you will be seeing the inside of your stomach.”

“Oh okay.”

         “Are you ready?”

         “Yeah,” I said.

The doctor turned the lights off and rubbed the camera against my belly. I saw this little thing inside of me. It was about the size of a nut.

“Amanda, you’re pregnant.”

I ran out of the room in tears. I thought I was just going to be late on my period. No. I was actually pregnant. Madison’s mom took me by my house so I could grab a few things. No one was home. I wrote a letter to my parents telling them that I was pregnant. I left it on my mom’s bed. Madison and I laid crossed my bed.

“Amanda, I know you’re in a lot of pain right now but just listen to what I’m about to say. The past few years have been amazing with you. You’re my true best friend. I love you to death. I didn’t think that you would be the one getting pregnant. I thought that I would. You probably think that no one is going to be there for you but I am. I’m going to be there for you for the next 9 months. You can stay with me if your parents kick you out. Don’t stress about this please. Don’t stress about DJ either! He’s no good for you. You deserve better.”

“Thank you Madison I really needed that. I love you too. Thanks for always being there for me,” I said.

We left my house early before my parents or anyone else got home. The next few days were kind of weird for me. I held my stomach everyday standing in the mirror. Sometimes I would smile, sometimes I’d cry. The only thing that was running through my head was DJ and my parents. Later that day I went to DJ’s house.

DJ opened up the door.

“Ugh, what the hell could you possibly want Amanda?”

“DJ just look at these pictures & papers.”

He took the pictures and papers. My heart was racing. Would he be happy or lose his mind?

“Amanda look I’m…”

“DJ it’s okay. I know why you said everything you did. I’m young. I caught feelings for you. You thought I was trying to keep you around. The only reason I tried to keep you around is because I knew that I was pregnant.”

DJ grabbed me and hugged me tight. He started to rub my belly & I saw a tear roll down his face. I was surprised that he was crying. I thought he’d laugh. DJ knew that it was serious. He was going to be a father in 9 months.

Later on that day I got a phone call from my mom. She was crying & asking where I was. I’m guessing she thought that I ran away or something bad happened to me. I asked Melody if she could take me home so that I could go talk to my mom. We all got into the car and drove to my house. I walked through the front door and I saw my mom sitting at the kitchen table.

“Hi mom.”

“Amanda, we have a lot to talk about. I’m not going to yell at you. I’m not going to ground you or take your phone away. There’s nothing that I can do about this but talk to you and be supportive.”

My mom shocked me. I thought she was going to yell at me, throw me out of the house. But she didn’t. She was being loving & caring. Just what I needed. My dad didn’t know yet. That’s what I was scared of.

My dad came home from a long day at work. He seemed in a good mood. But I knew in less than 5 minutes this mood was going to go downhill. I walked into the living room. He was sitting back in his recliner watching football & eating his Chinese food.

“Hey dad.”

“What’s up sweet pea?”

“Nothing much. I need to talk to you it’s very important.”

“Amanda, don’t tell me what I think you’re telling me.”

I started to cry. My eyes were red and full of tears.

“Dad, I’m pregnant.”

“Excuse me. What’d you say?”

“I’m pregnant.”

My dad put his head into his hands. He started to cry. He yelled for my mom & my brothers. My mom and dad just looked at each other and held each other’s hands.

I told my brothers. They didn’t know what to say. My little brother Austin didn’t understand what I was saying because he’s so small. My older brother Andrew seemed upset. He went to his room for the rest of the night. I knew that he was mad. I wanted to talk to him but I didn’t even bother to try.

I called Madison and told her that everything was okay. This whole week I was nervous. I will never forget the day that I found out I was pregnant. Being pregnant made me think that my parents would hate me. They wouldn’t want anything to do with me. But I was wrong. They were mad at the moment but they seemed happy after awhile. I didn’t think that this would happen. My parents were actually happy after I just told them I was pregnant. Wow.

In nine months I would be a mother. A wonderful mother. I’m going to be the best mom I could be. No one was going to tell me otherwise. My daughter was going to be the luckiest girl in the world to have such a loving family surrounding her.

On June 21, 2012 at exactly 11:11P.M Nevaeh Shayla Weaver was born. I had all of my friends and family at the hospital to support me. DJ even showed up. He was there for me throughout the whole labor. Nevaeh was the cutest little girl I’ve ever laid my eyes on. She was a healthy 7lbs. 9oz baby girl. Nevaeh was so tiny. I held her in the palm of my hands. DJ, my parents, and Madison we’re surrounding me and baby Nevaeh. I couldn’t have asked for a more loving, caring, supportive family surrounding me and my daughter.

© Copyright 2011 WinterRaglandRd (italyprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821492-A-Little-Miracle