*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1822018-Dreaming-Through-Infinity
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1822018
Vivid imagination or a glimpse of the future?
I felt my body dissolving. Everything around me was curving into itself. I could even sense time coiling itself like a snake. The background colour changed from white to blue and then to violet. After that I lost the sense of vision. It was not that everything had blackened out. Rather, I felt like there was no such thing as visible light, neither in reality, nor in my mind. Instead, I felt a cold, prickling sensation all over my body which was not at all unpleasant. Then, as suddenly as it had gone, my sense of vision came back to me, or more accurately, almost came back. Tiny black dots were moving past me at an incredible speed against a background of endless milky whiteness. There were a few dots at first but they were increasing gradually. The surprising thing was that, though the dots came nearer and nearer and flew past me, they never grew in size. It was as if they really were dots, complying with the mathematical definition, having no dimensions. Even though I could not be sure, I felt that the velocity of the dots was gradually increasing. Then they began to curve right into me. Some of them passed right through me but I did not feel anything. I tried to look back and see if they were really passing through me or were being absorbed by my body but I could not move or turn my head. It was as if I were an artefact frozen in the very structure of space.


The number of dots had now become enormous, even unimaginable. Even though they were tiny, almost dimensionless, they covered almost half of the background. And they were uniformly distributed. The background now seemed to be made of tiny black and white dots. And the number of black dots was still growing. After a few minutes or maybe eons, the background became totally black, one huge accumulation of darkness stretching from infinity to infinity. I was wondering what would happen next when I felt a hard tug at my navel. I looked down and was amazed to see a shining rope of pure, unadulterated light coming out of my body and stretching as far as the eyes can see and the mind can comprehend. I felt another tug, harder than the last one and suddenly I was released from my immobility and was being hurtled away with great force to nowhere. The rope that was pulling me slackened and I was moving of my own volition now. Though the rope had applied physical force on me, I had a feeling there was nothing physical about the rope. For an instant, it felt as if I was connected with someone or something. In that moment, I had a glimpse of what looked like another universe, a universe of blinding lights and dazzling colours. But at the next moment, there was darkness everywhere.


Suddenly, I felt a force being applied on my body from all directions, in fact from every direction possible. To my horror, my hands and legs as well as my head were curving into my body. Surprisingly, I could not feel anything. Slowly my whole body curved into itself and I was reduced to a spherical blob travelling through space at a speed comparable to that of light or a slow, lazy walking pace, I had no way of knowing. I had lost all my ordinary senses but gained a new inexplicable one. Then I began to shrink, slowly at first then at a faster rate. After a while I was reduced to a dot and suddenly I winked out of existence. Now I had no physical presence and was purely a creature of mind. Then, as suddenly as I had gone, I came back into existence. I had a sensation of popping out of a tight hole and my vision came back to me. Slowly, the scene unfolded in front of me. It was a world beyond imagination. Before me was the same scene that I had glimpsed before and which had left me feeling that I would never be satisfied in my life again, and the world I was accustomed to would appear irrevocably and hauntingly empty to my eyes till my end, a ghost, a pale discoloured image of reality.


As far my eyes could see, there were myriad geometric shapes in every colour imaginable, in a background as black as nothingness. There were circles, squares, hexagons, trapeziums and other shapes floating around aimlessly. As I looked upon them, they changed colours, from blue to red, to flame orange, to transparent and to other colours I could not define. I was in a kaleidoscope. Then I looked upon myself from the front, but somehow I knew that both of them, standing in front of each other like mirror images, were me. I was a pink triangle, now green, now yellow, floating aimlessly like all the others.


Then I noticed that numerous threads of light, similar to the one which had brought me here, but thinner, came out of me and went into the other geometrical shapes. Suddenly I realized that all the shapes were connected to each other through the threads of white light. At that moment it dawned upon my amazed mind that there were fourteen dimensions! It is impossible to explain. The surrealism of the whole concept pushes it beyond the limit of human understanding but there I was, bathing in the exuberance of comprehension. I could sense it. I could see it. I looked at the geometric patterns more closely and suddenly realized that their movements were synchronized. Although the pattern of their movement, or more precisely, our movement could not be recognized by the most powerful of the computers built by man, it was there. Trillions of geometric shapes in myriad colours were moving with each other in a synchronized motion like a cosmic dance. Then, the truth dawned upon me.


These geometric shapes were human minds or human consciousnesses. They were humans, or what the humans would be after billions of years of evolution. I was connected to them by threads of light and could tap into their thoughts, their knowledge and the experiences of the human race passed on through billions of years. I followed their minds through the history of mankind, from their rise out of the sea and slime, to the rise of intelligence, to attainment of life as we know, to the brink of self destruction, to the ultimate compulsion of leaving our dying planet, to a period of enormous hardships as humans tried to gain a foothold in the galaxy, to the amazing technological advancements of the second galactic era, to the power to span the intergalactic distances and finally, to the great era of inter dimensional voyages culminating in the loss of material world and the gaining of immortality. Achieving immortality required perfection which was possible only in fourteen dimensions, eleven of space and three of time. Hence, humans had made the fourteen dimensional universe their playground and now, I had become a part of their celestial game. I was a part of the collective consciousness of the children of tomorrow and was trapped with them till the end of time.
© Copyright 2011 crazy_diamond (amitabhs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1822018-Dreaming-Through-Infinity