*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1823177-The-Wonders-Part-1--Before-the-Begining
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1823177
I started writing this at age 8 and I finally finished the first chapter.
My two beautiful twins clung to my sides as I ran into the dark forest. After I ran past a rock the size and shape of a crow I reached a large misty clearing.

As I approached the middle I slowed, stuck my hand out in front of me and groped for something solid. Finally I felt cold damp petrified wood under my fingers. With Count Mortimer closing in I twisted what little wood I had under fingertips. A door opened in the tower’s side. I walked through the door and up the winding stairs.

By the time I got up the stairs Count Mortimer was at the door with his army surrounding the tower. I immediately ran into Marty, known as the White Wizard or my best friend.

“Rose! What are you doing here!? This isn’t the best time.”                                     

“You know exactly why I’m here” I snapped.

“No, no I don’t” He snapped back.

Still angry at Count Mortimer for fallowing me I yelled at him, “Look out the window!”

He looked. “Oh! Great HE’S found my tower!”

Count Mortimer is a murderer. He not only killed the king, his own brother and my husband, but he also killed Merlin’s brother for not helping him with the assassination. Therefore Merlin and I despised him.

“I swore I would get him. Now’s the perfect time!” Merlin continued.

“That’s what he’s expecting! Don’t, he only wants to kill the twins and take me as his wife! He will kill you as well!” I screamed at him.

“Twins? What twins? Oh…” he noticed the twins for the first time as I thrust their sleeping bodies in his face.

“These two are Alex,” I showed him the boy on my left side, “and Eve.” I showed him the girl on my right. “They were born a couple of weeks ago.”

“But who’s their parents? They both look familiar.” I glared at him, Eve chose that moment to prepare to cry, she glares before she cries, “Oh… I see now. They’re yours and John’s aren’t they?” Eve started to cry.   

As I calmed her my eyes got misty, just like they do when I’m about cry. I looked at little Alex already the spitting image of his father. “Looks just like him, don’t he?”

“Almost exactly! Amazing! Just put a little hat on him and even I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.” With Mortimer momentarily forgotten he continued, “By the way where is your husband?”

I turned away without meeting his eye. My own were to full of tears. I trust the children in his arms and said, “Mortimer’s coming. Get the children out of here, take them somewhere safe.”

“But he’ll kill you!”

“Do you think I don’t know that? I can hold him off long enough for you to get Eve and… and…” My voice was faltering. I forced it so it was under control. “And Alex out.”

“But…”

I interrupted him by turning around with sudden anger and tears streaming down my face, yelling, “GET OUT!!! You’ve got to save yourself and the children! It’s them he wants! He wants everything his brother had! He’s already got the castle! And I’ll kill myself before I come into HIS hands!! The children are new, moldable, and POWERFUL!” My anger taken up and my body being racked by sobs over my dead husband I leaned down and kissed little Eve’s and Alex’s heads. Now that Eve was asleep once more they looked so peaceful. It was amazing… little Alex hadn’t woken up the entire time.

That’s when we heard the awful sound of breaking wood. Mortimer, tired of trying to find the hidden door, had just made a new one.

“GO!!!!!!!!” I yelled. “The children must to get to safety!”

Marty looked at me one last time as I got ready for battle. Then he turned to the mirror on the back wall and began the spell.

I got down on all fours and began my transformation. I chose my favorite shape, a dark purple dragon with real stars on my back. Even though these looked good they weren’t for show, in battle they became red orbs. If anyone so much as looked at them they would find their bodies melting. Messy but effective.

Just as Marty was finishing the spell, Mortimer burst up the stairway.

“Stop him!” He yelled as his soldiers streamed past him. Suddenly one of his soldier’s shoulders hit him and he spun around once before falling. Mayhem fallowed. As every soldier rush to pick their fallen leader, Marty stepped into the mirror with the children.

“NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Mortimer’s scream was one of complete hatred. He ran toward the mirror, only to find his way blocked by two blue-green eyes. “Ah. I was wondering when you would show up Rose.” His face calmed down considerably.

I spit in his face. A fat, green, dragon loogie.

As he wiped it from his face he looked at me with anger in his red eyes and I simply smiled at him. This was a slightly unnecessary action, but it was effective. While Mortimer was distracted Marty was finally starting to disappear from the mirror. As his eyes finally disappeared the children appeared to be floating in midair. As I took one last look at Alex as he disappeared, he finally woke up. As I saw his eyes that reminded me so much of his father’s, I broke. As I sunk to the ground my shoulders shaking in quiet sobs, my form dissipated. 

Mortimer took this as an invitation to grab me. As he lifted me off the ground he found my blue-green staring into his, instead of being full of fear like he wanted he was surprised to see anger beyond what he could believe.

“HOW DARE YOU TOUCH ME! YOU PIG! PUT…ME…DOWN!!!!!!!!!!” It started out as barley a whisper building into a crescendo ending with me screaming in his ear. That’s when I decided to do it. I was going to transform into the only thing that I had never dared to become before. Hopefully it would kill him, if not just slow him down. Pure, 100 percent, Nature.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.  I slowly felt my body transform. It felt as though I was on two different planets at once. One orderly, WAY too orderly. It felt as though all my molecules were put into different categories and placed back where they didn’t belong. The other side, complete chaos. My molecules didn’t stay in one place for even a nanosecond. Then everything spilt.

One second later I was floating, high above the earth. A thought went through my mind, Is this what it’s like to be dead? As I continued floating in a lazy upwards spiral, I began to get excited. I was about to see my husband for the first time in about a year. Oh how I had missed him. My heart ached just thinking about him. My mind involuntarily went through the events of that horrific night.

I remembered how happy we had been, sitting together on the couch, planning the names for our children, laughing at the hilarious names we came up with. Bella, Casa, Nancy, Penny, and Faith were all my ideas for girls names. John was coming up with boys names, Josh, Arthur, Robert, Harry, and even Disaster! I had laughed my head off when he suggested that one. Then everything had gone wrong. I had left my dear, dear, husband sitting on that couch while I got a glass of water. I remembered that look he had on his face as I left the room, a look of complete happiness. As I looked back he smiled at me, that smile he had always worn when we were together, the one that ALWAYS made me smile back, the one that, even though I hadn’t seen it in over a year, made my heart jump and miss a beat. When I came back Mortimer, that disgusting, insolent pig, was leaning over the dead body of my husband, reaching down with an evil smile on his face. I had screamed, launched at him, knocked him to the ground, and beat him unconscious. When he went down I turned back to my husband. He had been on the ground with a knife through his chest. I had knelt next to him and began to cry. Then Mortimer had woken up and put his arm around me. I stopped crying, but I didn’t move. I can still hear his wheezy, sarcastic voice next to my ear as he squatted down next to me, “So sad what happened to your husband. I feel your pain. I really do. So, who’s going to be king now?” I grabbed his arm with my nails, digging in deep, moved it off my shoulders, and slowly stood up, my head still down. With my nails still in his arm, I had grabbed his throat with my free hand, and pulled him off his feet. Finally putting my head up my angry dark blue-green eyes looked into his murderous, beady eyes, now a little popped out from lack of oxygen. “You killed him and we both know that. Stop with this pointless act.” He looked at me and smiled,

“You were never dumb, even when we were teenagers and John stole you from me.” I looked at him with a look of pure amazement on my face.

“You think that he stole me from you? Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no! I’ve NEVER loved you. It was always John that I loved.” I dropped him. He landed on his butt. After that all I can remember is pain and sadness, the only time I remember happiness after that night was when I held our children in my arms.

Suddenly, something interrupted my train of thought. Everything was so bright. I looked up and there he was! I was amazed to find out that I could run. I rushed into his arms that he held wide open, just for me. As he held me close I began to weep. He leaned down and said, “What are you doing here? It isn’t your time. You need to be down there.”

I looked up at him and began to cry, yet again, through the tears I asked, “Aren’t you happy to see me?”

His face looked down at me with a fond look in his eye. “Of course I’m happy to see you. You didn’t think that I’d be happy to see you? I missed you so much. It just that you’re not supposed to be here. Not yet.”

With that he let me go. I began to feel a tug. It started as a slight pull, but turned to a persistent pull. I let myself be led away from my beautiful John.

What happens next escapes me. All I remember is a bright flash of light and then being surrounded by wood. Then another bright flash of light this one fallowed by a bright blaze of pain and heat. Then everything goes blank. Well not exactly, I remember the 6 years as I “grew up” again, but everything is fuzzy. Everything gets clear the moment I look over the high school students and see twins, my twins. I saw the two sixteen year-olds and everything had come rushing back into my little twelve year-old head. This is where my story ends and theirs begin.





The End
© Copyright 2011 Purple Tiger (purpletiger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1823177-The-Wonders-Part-1--Before-the-Begining