*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1824115-Discovered-STTNG-FanFic---Chapter-89
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1824115
Based on Star Trek The Next Generation - Deanna Troi is forced to leave the Enterprise.
Chapter Eight:

It had been four hours since he and the senior staff had been marched into the Cargo Bay 3 and placed under guard. Still Picard watched as his crew was herded into the room. The door opened with its usual whining sound. Bek'Lax entered, followed by a few soldiers. The soldiers led the last group into the Cargo Bay. It was the Betazoid and Helikin delegates. Andrana and Kelic were dragged in harshly away from the rest of the prisoners. Riker and Crusher walked quietly up to Picard.
"They haven't found Deanna or Ryla yet." Commented Riker.
"I noticed."
"We need to get to her soon. I don't know how long the medication will last."
"Unfortunately, Doctor that's the least of our worries at the moment."

"Its not far now, Ryla, just a little way down this Jeffrey's tube."
Commented Deanna as she led the blonde Betazoid down the darkened tunnel.
Whilst waiting in their quarters, as Picard had instructed, they both felt the turmoil take over the ship and decided to make a run for it. Deanna had no idea where they were going to run to, because the Helikins were all over the ship, but as long as they kept themselves hidden they'd be fine. Foot steps and voices coming from the end of the Jeffrey's tube, caused the two women to stop still.
"The General wants this whole ship searched. We're still missing two prisoners, both female, both Betazoids. There are only these Jeffrey's tubes to search, but they go all the way through the ship, so we've had to split into several groups. You know you're assignments. Move out!"
The hatched ahead of them began to hiss open.
"Damn it!" Swore Deanna, looking around the small tunnel. She spied an access ladder to their right. "Ryla, up this way, we've got to get off this level!"
The two women climbed for their lives. As the hatch closed behind them, the Helikin soldiers entered the Jeffrey's tube.
Deanna had to kick open the next hatch, unsure of where exactly they were and who was there to greet them. The hatch fell to the ground without a sound. Deanna immediately knew why, it had fallen onto the soft grass of the arboretum.
"We'll be safe here for awhile."
"Good, I need a rest. Did you say you had to do this whole ship with heavy-duty backpacks on?"
"Yes," smiled Deanna, "Its part of the training."
"Are you feeling alright, Deanna?"
"I don't know. I'm feeling uncomfortable. I think whatever Beverley gave me is wearing out."
"Come let's find somewhere to sit and rest." Suggested Ryla.
They sat down behind a large `fortress' of various tree and bush plants. They were completely hidden, but for how long?

It had been three hours since the last group of prisoners had been dragged into the Cargo Bay and still there had been no sign of Deanna or Ryla. Picard had gathered his senior staff close to him so they could hear him without it looking suspicious.
"Sir, I have been able to detect that there are three guards outside the Cargo Bay door, as well as the two you see on this side of it and there are five at various points on the upper level."
"Thank you, Data." Picard whispered back. "Doctor?"
"Everyone I've managed to speak to is unhurt. The only injuries are a few abrasions to the heads of the Helikin ambassadors, but I can't get to them."
"Any sign of Deanna and Ryla?"
"Geordie and I have been monitoring the conversations between the guards." Commented Riker. "As far as they know, Deanna and Ryla are in the Jeffrey's tubes, but so far all searches have proven to be negative."
"Well, at least we know they're evading capture."
"But, Captain, the drugs I gave her will be starting to wear off. You saw the state she was in earlier, they're not going to be able to hide for much longer."
Picard nodded at Beverley Crusher unsure of how to answer her. Thankfully, Riker spoke up.
"Captain, I could try to contact Deanna telepathically."
"Do it, Number One."
Riker nodded and moved away from the group. When he was far enough he sat down on the cold floor and closed his eyes. He drew a mental picture of how he saw her last, smiling and crying at his confession of love.
`Imzadi, Beloved, touch my mind. Tell me, where are you?'
Nothing.
`Deanna, we're worried about you and Ryla, tell me where you are. They're looking for you. Imzadi, where are you?'
Again there was nothing. As he was about to send for the third time, he felt the familiar touch of her mind on his.
`Imzadi, we're in the arboretum. Where are you? The whole ship is deserted, except for the Helikin soldiers.'
`I know, Deanna. We've all been taken to Cargo Bay 3.'
`We'll get to you, I….'
Deanna's link wavered and broke.
`Deanna? Imzadi, where are you? What's wrong?'
`Commander Riker?' Came the voice of a new mind in his own.
`Ryla, is that you?'
`Yes, Commander, it is.'
`Where's Deanna? Why did her link break?'
`The drugs have worn off, talking to you was strenuous for her. I had to break the link between you, so she saves her strength. I'm sorry if I startled you. I understand that it must be a little strange to feel someone else's mind other than your Imzadi's.'
`A little. Will you stay in the arboretum?'
`We will for as long as we can. Deanna needs her strength.'
`We've been trying to find ways of escape, but it's not looking too good. Take care of Deanna…and yourself.'
`Of course, Commander. Good luck to you.'
Ryla broke the link.
Riker stood from the cold floor and walked back to sit with the other members of the senior staff.
"Well, Number One?"
"They're in the arboretum, sir."
"And her medical condition?" asked Beverley.
"The drugs have worn off, so she's not got long before it starts affecting her again."
As the officers spoke among themselves, they did not see one of their own walk from the circle to a guard. The person whispered one word to him,
"Arboretum."
The guard immediately gathered a few of his fellow soldiers together, as the informant made their way back to the group of officers.
"Where are they going?" asked Geordie.
They others looked up to see a group of five soldiers leave the Cargo Bay in a hurry. As soon as they left a replacement group entered and took their positions.

Ten minutes later the guards returned with a protesting Ryla behind her, Deanna Troi was dragged in. They left Ryla standing with the Starfleet officers, but Deanna was thrown to the floor where Kelic and Andrana sat. When Ryla, Crusher and Riker tried to move towards Deanna to help her they were prodded backwards with the Helikin soldiers' disrupter rifles. Kelic and Andrana helped Deanna to sit up. She wasn't looking too well. She was very pale, shaking slightly and was feverishly sweating. Over her navy robe she had wrapped a pale blue shawl across her shoulders, still she was cold.
Beverley tried pleading with one of the guards,
"Please, you don't understand, she's very ill. I'm a doctor. I need to treat her!"
"So they'll be one less Betazoid to worry about."
He said and walked away. After a few more tries and rejections Beverley sat back with Ryla and the senior staff.
"I'm sorry I've tried."
"Don't worry, Doctor Crusher, I'm sure we'll think of someway to get out of here and help Deanna." Replied Ryla as she got up and sat with the Betazoid delegates.
They immediately joined hands, closed their eyes and were silent.
Deanna began to feel stronger. She opened her eyes and saw her party joined together. She smiled slightly. They were using their joint telepathic selves to strength her.
`Thank you.' She sent to them.
They merely smiled back at her and continued the flow of power.
Bek'Lax entered the Cargo Bay. Out of instinct the senior staff, and on the other side of the large room, Kelic and Andrana stood. He ignored them all.
"Where is she?" he bellowed to the guard beside him.
The soldier pointed to where Kelic and Andrana stood. They parted instantly and there sat Deanna, with her eyes closed. Bek'Lax strode towards them, pushing Kelic and Andrana aside and stood in front of Deanna. She took her time, but slowly she looked up and opened her eyes to face Bek'Lax. She stood up, proud and firm, with all the aristocracy of her mother.
"So you're the Betazoid Bitch who's agreeing to an illegal trade with those Traitors." He said, nodding his head towards Kelic and Andrana.
"We wouldn't trade with you even if our lives depended on it. I suggest you let us all go. You have no right to imprison Betazoid or Starfleet officials!"
"I don't think you're in the position to demand anything from us, Betazoid!" he spat to the floor, as if it insulted him to say anything to do with her world or people.
"We believe we are! Let us go, General, or face the consequences of your actions!"
He stepped closer to her, towering above her, but she did not flinch or back away.
"What can you do, Little Betazoid, zap me with your mind powers?" he smirked.
A devious smile pulled at Deanna's lips as she turned, walked away and sat back down on the floor. He made a noise of disgust, frustration and embarrassment, at being treated like this by a woman… a Betazoid woman at that, and he walked out of the Cargo Bay.
When he had gone, Deanna stood again. She began to walk towards the other Betazoids when a guard stood in her way and ordered her back. She simply walked past him.
"Stop or I'll be forced to shoot!" he ordered.
"You won't pull the trigger." She said, turning to look directly into his eyes.
She smiled at him and he relaxed from his defensive position, pointing the gun at the floor instead of at her.
The Betazoids, for the first time during the whole incident with Bek'Lax and the guard, opened their eyes, stood up and turned to face Deanna. She embraced each of them sending her thanks to them. She held on to Ryla for slightly longer.
`I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this up.'
`We'll help you as much as we can, Deanna, but you must learn to harness the power of the `Fifth House'. You've neglected it for too long. You can do this.'
With a nod, Deanna let go of Ryla and turned to the confused Starfleet officers.
She embraced Beverley, whispering;
"Don't worry, Bev, I'm alright. Ryla and the others are linked to me, they're using their telepathic abilities to withhold the virus' effects."
Letting go of Beverley, Deanna nodded to LaForge, Data and Picard. Riker didn't hesitate to take Deanna in his arms and kiss her. He didn't care who was watching or what any of them thought. All there was, and all that mattered, was Deanna.
The kiss broke, but still they clutched each other, pressing their foreheads together.
`Do you sense my thoughts, Will?'
`Yes, Imzadi, I do.'
Outwardly he nodded to her. Those around them instantly knew that they were communicating telepathically. Ryla and Beverley shared a smile.
`Know that everything will be fine, Imzadi.'
`But the virus, Ryla said…'
`I know, Will, I heard your communication with her. We're all joined now; myself, Ryla, Triand, Bix and Sen'nax, we're using our telepathic abilities to counteract the virus' effects. We don't know how long it will last, which is why we must act quickly. You are linked to me telepathically, Will, as are the others, so don't be worried or concerned if you start to hear anything we send each other. It may be uncomfortable at first, but you'll get through it, I know you will.'
Again, he nodded and they released each other.
"Captain," whispered Troi, "without getting the attention of the guards you must tell all of your people to shut their eyes and cover their ears when we give the signal."
"Alright. May I ask why, Deanna?"
"We're getting out of here, but we're not exactly going to use any orthodox methods to do so. It is vital that they do exactly as we instruct."
Picard nodded and began to spread the word.

Within half an hour the whole room had gotten wind of the message and where waiting for Deanna's signal, which would simply be a nod of her head.
`We're ready, Deanna. It's up to you now. Remember we don't have the ability to do this that's down to you, but we have the power to help strengthen you.' Came Ryla's voice.
Deanna stood in the middle of the room, took a few deep breaths and gave the nod to Picard. All the Starfleet officers and Kelic and Andrana shut their eyes and covered their ears, not sure of what to expect, but trusting Deanna.

After what seemed like hours, Picard felt a hand on his shoulder. He opened his eyes and saw Deanna standing above him. She looked weak, feverish and ready to faint. He stood up and saw all his crewmembers still closing their eyes and covering their ears. In various places, Helikin soldiers lay scattered on the floor. Picard took Deanna's arm and put it over his shoulder to support her, as they began to `wake' everyone else up.
Riker felt the touch of Picard on his shoulders. He opened his eyes and looked up to see Picard with Deanna slumped weakly beside him. Will stood up and took Deanna from Picard, picking her up. She immediately wrapped her arms securely around his neck.
The officers began to file out of the Cargo Bay, arming themselves with dropped disrupter rifles. Beverley checked on a few of the fallen Helikin soldiers, as she walked past them. She joined Picard as one of the last to leave the Cargo Bay.

"I don't know what she did, Jean-Luc, but those soldiers are dead."

"You're sure?"

Beverley nodded her head, as she passed another three bodies. The large crowd of officers stopped of at the armoury to arm themselves with hand phasers or phaser rifles, before splitting off into groups to take back their stations. Beverley and her medical staff planned to take back Sickbay with the help of the Betazoid delegates, Kelic and Andrana. Riker, having to take back the Bridge with Picard, Data, Lepec and a handful of security officers, handed Deanna over into Bix's arms.

"Take care of her."

"Don't be concerned, Commander, she will not come to harm with us."

"Thank you." He said, nodding to the young Betazoid.

He kissed Deanna lightly on her forehead and he left with his group.

"Alright people," Came Crusher's voice, "let's get Sickbay back. When we have we'll get you two fixed up," She said nodding her head at Kelic and Andrana, "and then we'll see if we can help Deanna."



"Sir, none of the guards in Cargo Bay 3 or on that level are responding to our communications." Came the report from the Helikin Soldier at the tactical station of the Enterprise Bridge.

"They must have escaped somehow."

"Patrol seven to General Bek'Lax."

"This is Bek'Lax."

"Sir, we've come up against mass resistance from the Starfleet officers. They came from nowhere and are armed with starfleet phasers and phaser rifles."

"Stay at your positions." He turned to the officer at tactical. "Go to ship-wide red alert and open a channel to all patrols."

The klaxon began to sound and the whole Bridge was tinted red.

"Channel open, sir."

"This is Bek'Lax. The prisoners have escaped and are armed. Do not let them retake the ship! Bek'Lax out."

"Sir, reports are coming in fast, we've lost almost 65% of the ship." Came the voice of another soldier, who sat at Data's console.

At that moment from the two turbolifts and the Conference lounge emerged Picard and his group, all of them armed and with their weapons aimed at each of them seven Helikin soldiers that stood on the Bridge.

"I suggest you surrender, Bex'Lax."

"I think not, Picard." He tapped the communicator on his wrist. "This is Bek'Lax, emergency transport of all boarding crew."

The Helikins disappeared from the Bridge. As Bex'Lax began to dematerialise he sneered at Picard,

"I will be back, human, you can count in it."

On the viewscreen, the Helikin fleet retreated from the Enterprise.

"Shall we pursue them, sir?" asked Data, as they all took their customary seats.

"No, Data. Let's just make sure everything is alright."

"Aye, sir." Data tapped his console then spoke, "Bridge to all stations, please report in."



Two Days Later…



"Captain's log: The Betazoid delegates left yesterday evening to return home to Betazed. Ambassador Deanna Troi has agreed to stay on board the Enterprise, under the care of Doctor Crusher, so her Aide Ryla has also returned to Betazed. The Helikin delegates, Kelic and Andrana, have also journeyed to Betazed in order to begin a project of peace and understanding between the Betazoid and Helikin people. Apparently the idea was one of Ambassador Deanna Troi's; who
obviously wants peace, but was unable to come to an agreement with the Helikin, due to the opposition of their military-led government. Personally, I cannot blame the Ambassador for her decision, but thankfully our mission was not a complete failure with the agreement of this project.
Due to General Bek'Lax's threats of returning to attack the Enterprise, a patrol of starships have been sent to Helikinus, in
order to stop their battleships leaving. Representatives of the Federation High Council have also been sent in order to ensure that the General will not attack, so far all seems to be going well.
A group of Doctors from all over the Federation have joined our own C.M.O in trying to find a cure for Deanna Troi's illness, I am unsure of how well their efforts have proceeded.
An interesting turn of events occurred yesterday, whilst investigating into how the Helikin government discovered our
location, a secured transmission was found. Commander Data and Geordie LaForge have been assigned to investigate this matter further."

Chapter 9:

Picard strode up the corridor towards Sickbay, when someone called to him,
"Captain!"
He turned to see Geordie LaForge and Data running to catch up with him.
"Ah, gentlemen, how's things?"
"Not so `fine-and-dandy', sir." Replied LaForge.
"Oh? What seems to be the problem?"
"It's about our assignment, we've uncovered something disturbing about the communication records we discovered yesterday."
"I'm on my way to Sickbay, but I'm sure this is something Commander Riker and Doctor Crusher will want to be involved in."

Beverley sat in her office in Sickbay with Will Riker when Picard, LaForge and Data arrived.
"Commander LaForge has some news for us." Commented Picard, as he sat beside Riker.
"Thank you, sir. After checking the communication logs we found a communiqué that had been sent to General Bek'Lax sometime during the last negotiation meeting."
"Any idea of who sent it?" asked Riker.
"That's where it starts to get interesting, Commander. The person used a secure channel, so we traced the links' security codes, to find out the identity of the informant. They were Ambassador Troi's old codes from when she was Counsellor here on board the Enterprise."
The other three officers looked stunned.
"Geordie that's impossible, she was sitting right in front of me in the Conference Lounge!" Commented Beverley.
"Exactly, Doctor. We had to unscramble the message."
He turned to Crusher's computer terminal and pressed a few keys. On the computer screen was a picture of General Bek'Lax.
"Now, if we reverse the angle," He continued pressing a few more buttons, "We should have a clear picture of our informant."
The screen shifted and staring straight back at them was Counsellor Kitana Lepec.
"Mon dieu!" exclaimed Picard.
He tapped his commbadge,
"Picard to security, find Counsellor Lepec and confine her to the Brig until further notice."
"Aye, sir." Came the reply.
"Well done, Mister LaForge."
"Thank you, sir."
"An interesting development." Commented Picard, more to himself, than to the four officers around him. "How is Deanna, Doctor?"
Picard watched as Beverley and Will exchanged a quick glance to one another.
"I'm afraid she's worsening, Captain. I've not had much luck with the virus, but I'm not going to give up on her."
"How long does she have?"
Beverley shrugged her shoulders.
"In all honesty, sir, I don't know. We believe that she will go through three stages. The first is that she'll become withdrawn and unable to communicate with us, the second is coma and the third is death. All this will be after an incredible amount of pain, as her nervous system destroys itself. How long it will take for these stages to occur or how long each stage will last I don't know. If she reaches the second stage it's very unlikely that I'll be able to bring her back, even if we find a cure."
"I know you'll do whatever you can, Doctor."
He got up from his chair and left the office. On his way out he spotted Deanna looking at him from her diagnostic bed, so he walked towards her.
"Hello, Captain."
"Ambassador." He said, nodding his head.
Deanna smiled slightly,
"Please, Captain, I'd prefer Deanna."
Picard smiled back.
"Very well, Deanna."
"I heard about Kitana."
Picard arched an eyebrow at her and Deanna laughed slightly. He never knew how she knew these things, was it because she had sensed it or had she simply over heard their conversation?
"You want to ask me something, Jean-Luc. Something that all five of you want to know."
"All five?"
Deanna nodded and indicated for Picard to look behind him. He did so and there stood Beverley, Geordie, Data and Will.
"Yes…well, um…Deanna, Beverley said that all the Helikin soldiers in the vicinity of Cargo Bay 3, were dead. Do you know how it happened?"
The others looked on as Deanna bowed her head then looked back up to face Picard.
"I did it."
"How? That's not among your abilities." Interrupted Riker in shock.
"You're right, Will, it's not among my conscious abilities to do that. However, as a `Daughter of the Fifth House', I have certain abilities that are innate. My mother is an extremely powerful telepath, even for a Betazoid, and part of that power is passed on to me."
"Deanna you're only half Betazoid." Commented Beverley.
"That's true, Bev, but it makes no difference to the telepathic abilities I do have, other than the fact that it's a lot more effort for me to access those abilities. I've ignored their existence for many years, even before I met you Will."
"Why choose now to use them, Deanna?" asked Picard.
"It was my mother's belief that perhaps these innate abilities could be used somehow to slow down the virus' process. That is why Ryla is with me. Though she takes on the guise of an Aide, she is one of the Priestesses from an ancient religious order on Betazed. They help those with powerful hidden abilities to nurture and learn to use them."
"What were the Betazoid delegates doing when they sat in that circle?" asked Geordie.
"Though I have the abilities, I don't always have the power to sustain those abilities when I use them, especially since this
illness is getting the better of me, they were using thier telepthic selves to strengthen my abilities."
"Deanna, what did you do to them exactly?" asked Will.
"Is it really so important for you to know the specifics, Imzadi?"
"Yes, it is."
"I formed a telepathic link with each of the soldiers and fed their thoughts to one another. It overloaded their systems and they shut down."
Will looked away from her, as the others remained silent.
`I'm not proud of what I did, Imzadi, but it was all I could think of that would give us enough time to get the ship back.'
Will looked back up to her. Their eyes met and Deanna saw his uncertainty at her answer.
`Don't hate me, Imzadi, please.'
At the same time that Deanna's voice pleaded with him, he saw her head drop in shame and guilt. He also heard the fear in her voice. He reached for her and took her hand. He squeezed it gently until she looked back at him. Her tear-filled eyes reflected the fear that had sounded in her voice.
"I could never hate you, Imzadi." He whispered to her.

"It seems that Counsellor Lepec was correct." Commented the gold- skinned android, as he and LaForge left Sickbay.
"About what Data?"
"Do you not recall our conversation, Geordie? Where I informed you that Counsellor Lepec notified me of Ambassador Troi's hidden telepathic abilities."
"Yeah, Data, I do remember, but I doubt that Lepec's reasons for telling you that were for your benefit."
Again, there was the expected silence before Data's next question.
"Why would the Counsellor contact the Helikins and use Ambassador Troi's old security codes?"
"I'll let you work that one out yourself, Data."

"Captain Picard, I am appalled at my treatment!"
"Shut up, Lepec!" exploded Picard. "I have had enough of your attitude! You think I haven't noticed the way you waltz around the Bridge like you own it or the way you disrespect my officers and our guests?"
"Captain, I don't know what you mean…"
"Of course you don't, Lepec." He retorted sarcastically. "I suppose you're going to tell me that you don't know why you used Ambassador Troi's old security codes to contact the Helikin government, aren't you?"
Lepec turned her back on Picard and sat back on her cell's bunk.
"Fine, your silence only proves your guilt, not that we need your statement to prove it."
Picard turned to leave.
"She won't get this position from me, Picard. There's no way she can get it back."
Picard looked at the woman in the Brig for a few moments, then turned on his heel and left.
© Copyright 2011 Ayla Skye (aylaskye82 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1824115-Discovered-STTNG-FanFic---Chapter-89