*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1824790-What-is-Speculative-Fiction
by J. R.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1824790
An explanation of a genre encompassing many sub-genres that explore alternate realities.
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **


What is Speculative Fiction?



Speculative fiction is a literary world where "What if" is given free reign. It includes fantasy, science fiction, and horror, but also alternate history, supernatural, apocalypse, as well as many other genres. Under speculative fiction, a writer can explore what happens when things differ from our own known world in some manner. David Bowlin of ShadowKeep Magazine says, "Speculative fiction is a world that writers create, where anything can happen. It is a place beyond reality, a place that could have been, or might have been, if only the rules of the universe were altered just a bit." Bowlin goes on to state, "Speculative fiction defines the best in humanity: imagination, and the sharing of it with others."

So Why Don't We Just Call It Science Fiction, Horror or Fantasy?

For me, Speculative Fiction is so much more freeing. It could be a sword and sorcery novel, or novel that takes place on a remote moon base. It can also include vampires in our modern world, the powers of ancient gods unleashed during World War II, a classic zombie apocalypse, an invading alien army that plans to harvest us like pigs on a human farm, or a disease that renders people of the future unable to conceive children. For me it is much like a musician that has in mind that they want to create great music. While they may like music more within a certain genre of music, should they not also be free to create a song that comes from their heart, regardless of what genre their band is usually classified under? What if they want to create a passion filled song from their heart that really has no genre? For me, the idea of speculative fiction provides this freeing experience, to get out from under a tiny umbrella, and to enjoy dancing in the rain out in the open.

What are some books that might fit under Speculative Fiction?

The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins; The Passage, by Justin Cronin; Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien;1984, by George Orwell; Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams; Many books by Robert Heinlein; A Canticle for Leibowitz, by Walter M. Miller, Jr.; Ender’s Game, by Orson Scott Card; The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, by Jules Verne; Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz, by L. Frank Baum; and the Twilight series, by Stephenie Meyer.

The list can go on and on. There are just a great many books that can be included in this genre, including a great many books by highly respectable authors (as well as Stephanie Meyer, sorry that will be my one and only Twilight crack, but it really needed to be done. )

Can I find Speculative Fiction in other places?

Yes! Many video games fit into this genre. The popular television show Terra Nova, and even children's literature are full of examples of Speculative Fiction.

Okay, but I need my genre fix, what specific genres might I see under Speculative Fiction?

Alien Contact, Alternate History, Apocalypse/Holocaust, Contemporary or Urban Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Dystopian, Fairy Tales, Fantasy, Horror/Scary, Dark Fantasy, Magical Realism, Paranormal, Prehistoric Fantasy, Science Fiction, Slipstream, Steampunk, Superhero, Supernatural, and many works of juvenile or youth fiction would fit under Speculative Fiction.

Is there any chance you will stop talking?

Probably not! Genre's, like music categories, give us organized categories that help us to find our favorite CDs or books at the mall. We love categories, and all creative industries love categories, because they help us to be organized in some manner. I think it is incredibly freeing to walk under a larger sky and try going for a walk, rather than remaining confined under a tiny umbrella. The worse that can happen is you will get a little wet. Are you with me?



© Copyright 2011 J. R. (jason71 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1824790-What-is-Speculative-Fiction